Clear TKO, maybe KO, for Scott... And here's the real summary of this...
1. Julien's game strategy worked for a limited time, but in the end the Bruins lost the physical, mental, and the game itself. Julien played to win, but the Bruins could have afforded to have someone other than Thornton step up and serve (5) minutes based upon their record thus far.
2. Thornton, a class act, outsized and overmatched, takes one for the team to keep a Hall of Fame Defenseman and the other top line players on the ice, in an attempt to win the game.
3. "Captain" Chara, Lucic, or someone else with more size than Thornton needs to step up on February 10th when they meet again. That's not a guaranteed win by any means, and also may mean an injury, because Scott cannot be taken lightly.
4. Regardless of how or why Scott is in the league, he serves a purpose and he does it well.
5. I gurarantee Thornton, who always is game and knows his job, most likely asked Julien to engage Scott, and he paid for it. Thus again, showing he's a team player.
6. The bottom line is, the Sabres made a statement, in the fight and in the game, clearly outmatching the B's in both, especially coming back from a 3-1 deficit on the B's home ice.
7. Domination by Scott and the Sabres, the Bruins got embarrassed. This, all from an honest Bruins fan.
Never fails. Some idiot homers have voted a win or draw in a fight in which one player failed to throw a single punch. I'm sure that there will be a good rematch again this season, but this one was all Scott living up to his word and "beating the ****" out of Thornton.
Thornton did not slip, he was ****ing TKO'd. Look at him in the box stumbling around and then he was mumbling to Scott and even Scott stood up to try and understand what he was saying. Credit to Thornton for living!! Win Scott!!
It was a solid shot or three to the ear that put down Thorny.
There are several anti-Scott rants down below, he's one dimensional, can't skate, can't score, yada yada. For 25+ years the Bruins have been pounding on the Sabres, especially on home ice, and finally a Bruins player got his courtesy of a behemoth. And guess what? The Bruins didn't intimidate as usual for the rest of the game and they lost.
Jack Edwards plumbs a new depth for amateurish homerism with his call of the Boston Massacre:
Scott with the clear win here. If Thornton had designs on winning this bout he would've had to do what he did to Boogaard three years ago: get close and work inside. Scott, to his credit didn't let that happen.
I would've loved to see other Bruins take on Scott but Tuukka played like such garbage that it was a nip and tuck game all the way. Maybe next time. But Scott is an impressive guy if you can't get inside like Orr did. Thornton is a tough prick but he needs to fight a perfect fight to beat a guy like Scott. Win Scott all day and a 7.
lots of people trying to discredit scott. Whatever--
Thornton is a good fighter, who got his arse kicked tonight. all the other stuff about who the sabres are or arent, vs who the bruins are or arent-- give me a break--its a one way street with the boston bruin fans.
lose and its not really your fault. haha. to me, thats the definition of a *****-- take it like a man--and realize the guy who was on the ice to fight scott, didnt fare too well. and stop the rationalizing.
To the Boston fans who complain about the size differential of Scott and Thornton why don't you go back to last years fight of Chara and Regehr??? Not one of you jackoffs said a word about it then..."total beat down", "total domination" those were the comments, now a guy in a Bruins sweater who is known as one of the leagues toughest fighters gets his clock cleaned fair and square and you all cry about the size difference. Lets see Chara 6'9 260 vs Regehr 6'3 220= 6" 40 lbs...Scott 6'8 270 vs Thornton 6'2 220= 6" 50 lbs almost equal differentials...GO CRY IN YOUR BEER and get used to it. Then there is those that brought up ice time well do your research before you open your traps because Thornton averages 1 min/gm more ice time. Your only arguement is Thornton scores more goals that's it. Since Scott joined the Sabres, I have watched his play and I think given the chance to play more he will not hurt you especially in his own end. See you turds on the 10th.