Recapping the 2015 Trade Deadline
A total of 43 players were involved in 24 trades among NHL teams trying to dump salary, rebuild, or get serious about a Stanley Cup run this spring. Further down, each trade that took place on Monday is listed for consolidated viewing.
Prior to the weekend, the Toronto Maple Leafs traded David Clarkson to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Nathan Horton. The Leafs' blockbuster free agency acquisition in 2013, Clarkson scored just 26 points in 118 games as the Leafs entered a massive tailspin following their playoff run two years ago. Columbus is currently out of the playoff picture, too, but they were able to move Horton's contract. Horton hasn't suited up all season as he continues an unfortunate battle with concussion symptoms.
The Florida Panthers acquired Jaromir Jagr from New Jersey last weekend in order to make one final push for the playoffs. They currently sit two points out of the Eastern conference's final wild card spot.
Chicago added some toughness by acquiring Andrew Desjardins from the Sharks. The Blues went one higher than their division rivals by snagging defenseman Robert Bortuzzo from the Pens. The Capitals also added toughness and defensive depth when they traded for Tim Gleason on Saturday. That's about all the movement where toughness is concerned. Teams seemed to target defensive depth and role players this year. Here's a complete list of Monday's front office action:
- Anaheim traded D Ben Lovejoy to Pittsburgh for D Simon Despres.
- Anaheim traded LW Rene Bourque, C William Karlsson and Anaheim's 2nd-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft to Columbus for D James Wisniewski and Detroit's 3rd-round pick in 2015 (previously acquired).
- Anaheim traded D Eric Brewer and Anaheim's 5th-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft to Toronto for D Korbinian Holzer.
- Anaheim traded D Mat Clark to Colorado for C Michael Sgarbossa and a conditional draft pick.
- Arizona traded D Zbynek Michalek and a conditional draft pick to St. Louis for C Maxim Letunov.
- Arizona traded D Mark Louis to NY Islanders for G David Leggio.
- Boston traded RW Jordan Caron and its 6th-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft to Colorado for C Maxime Talbot and C Paul Carey.
- Boston traded C Jared Knight to Minnesota for C Zack Phillips.
- Buffalo traded C Torrey Mitchell to Montreal for LW Jack Nevins and Montreal's 7th-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft.
- Buffalo traded G Michal Neuvirth to NY Islanders for G Chad Johnson and a 3rd-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft.
- Buffalo traded RW Chris Stewart to Minnesota for Minnesota's 2nd-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft.
- Buffalo traded C Brian Flynn to Montreal for Montreal's 5th-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft.
- Calgary traded LW Sven Baertschi to Vancouver for Vancouver's 2nd-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft.
- Chicago traded RW Ben Smith and a conditional draft pick to San Jose for C Andrew Desjardins.
- Colorado traded D Karl Stollery to San Jose for C Freddie Hamilton.
- Columbus traded D Jordan Leopold to Minnesota for D Justin Falk and Minnesota's 5th-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft.
- Edmonton traded D Jeff Petry to Montreal for a 2nd-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft plus a conditional draft pick.
- New Jersey traded D Marek Zidlicky to Detroit for conditional draft picks.
- NY Islanders traded C Cory Conacher to Vancouver for C Dustin Jeffrey.
- Philadelphia traded D Braydon Coburn to Tampa Bay for D Radko Gudas and Tampa Bay’s 1st- and 3rd-round picks in the 2015 NHL Draft. (If Tampa Bay fails to make the playoffs in 2015 and ends up with the first overall selection, Philadelphia will receive the New York Rangers’ 1st-round pick in 2015, previously acquired, in lieu of Tampa Bay’s own 1st-round selection).
- Pittsburgh traded D Robert Bortuzzo and its 7th-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft to St. Louis for D Ian Cole.
- St. Louis traded C Joakim Lindstrom and a conditional draft pick to Toronto for C Olli Jokinen.
- San Jose traded C Tyler Kennedy to NY Islanders for a conditional draft pick.
- Tampa Bay traded RW Brett Connolly to Boston for Boston's 2nd-round pick in the 2015 and 2016 NHL Draft.