As I’m still putting together the Oilers-Canucks clips, we’ll do a quick rundown of some other highlights:
* Garnet Exelby‘s team took only 10 shots against the Islanders, so Ex decided to pop Blake Comeau.
* Arron Asham dropped the gloves twice.
* Barret Jackman jostled with Dan Fritsche, so Fritsche slid his visor down and bloodied Jackman.
* Steve Begin took out Denis Tolpeko, giving him a concussion, and Flyers captain Jason Smith wasted no time taking on Begin.
* The Flames and Ducks are always willing when facing each other, with two fights from each game played this season. The meet again on Feb 29.
* There was a fight in a Detroit-Colorado game for the first time since Mar 25, 2004. Rumor is ESPN is very interested in the NHL again and there will be 24 Wings-Avs games on the schedule.
* Daniel Carcillo opened up Raitis Ivanans right before being dropped.
One thing that happened this weekend: there have now been more fights this season than there were in all of 2005-06, the first post-lockout season. It won’t be long before last season’s number is surpassed as well.
The upswing this season is due to a number of factors. Two of the most obvious reasons:
* The Ducks winning ways have many teams emulating them.
* Player movement, while still as busy as ever, isn’t what it was from pre to post-lockout, so rivalries are becoming rivalries again.
However, an increase in fighting, doesn’t equal seeing a fight when watching an NHL game. Less than 40% of NHL games have a fighting major penalty called.
Daniel Carcillo vs Raitis Ivanans Feb 18, 2008
Aaron Downey vs Ian Laperriere Feb 18, 2008
Tim Conboy vs Arron Asham Feb 18, 2008
Jarome Iginla vs Travis Moen Feb 17, 2008
Eric Godard vs George Parros Feb 17, 2008
Steve Begin vs Jason Smith Feb 17, 2008
Dan Fritsche vs Barret Jackman Feb 17, 2008
Ole-Kristian Tollefsen vs Jamal Mayers Feb 17, 2008
Arron Asham vs Chris Neil Feb 16, 2008
David Clarkson vs Mike Commodore Feb 16, 2008
Garnet Exelby vs Blake Comeau Feb 16, 2008
Blessed are the peacemakers
Rob Ray: Fighting with fear
Jagr’s new linemates ready for Komisarek
Tucker proves a point with inspired play
Cheesman loves the fans and they love him
Rodeo game for troops
Macho culture vs. bodily safety