ECHL Attendance Boosted by Charlotte's Record Crowd, Steelheads Sellouts
ECHL Attendance Boosted by Charlotte's Record Crowd, Steelheads Sellouts
Monday, Feb. 23rd, 2009
The largest crowd in history in Charlotte, back-to-back sellouts in Idaho and the largest crowd of the season in Reading and Trenton helped the ECHL raise its average attendance to 4,086 per game.
It is the third sellout of the season for Charlotte which had 11,848 on Jan. 24 and 6,903 on Jan. 16. The Checkers, who broke their record of 12,257 set on Feb. 23, 2008, have had the two largest crowds in the league this year and since moving to Time Warner Cable Arena have drawn eight crowds over 10,000 and nine others in excess of 9,000.
The Steelheads, who had 5,222 on Friday and 5,158 on Saturday, have had four sellouts this year and they lead the league in regular season sellouts the last six seasons with 42 followed by Charlotte with 35, Florida with 32 and Alaska with 21. Elmira has had 18 sellouts in its first two seasons, including four this season, and the Jackals are averaging 90.7 percent capacity at First Arena.
Reading and Trenton had their largest crowds of the season on Saturday with 6,812 and 6,013, respectively, while Utah had its second-largest crowd of the year with 6,231 on Friday.
Stockton leads the league with 6,269 per game and is looking to be the first team to lead the ECHL in attendance four consecutive seasons since Florida which led the league for a record five straight years from 2000-05. Bakersfield, which had more than 9,000 for two games over the weekend, is second with 5,672 while Florida is third with 5,623 per game followed by Gwinnett at 5,450 per game and newcomer Ontario with 5,391 per game.
American Conference - North Division
* Cyclones are 83.5 percent (71-for- 85) on the penalty kill in their last 16 games.
* Ryan Nie is 12-2-0 after setting a team record by winning his first nine starts.
* Cyclones host Reading on Tuesday and Wednesday and Elmira on Friday and Saturday.
* Bombers are 87.5 percent (21-for-24) on the penalty kill in their last three games.
* Rookie Nino Musitelli has nine points (4g-5a) in his last nine games.
* Bombers host Elmira on Wednesday and visit Wheeling on Friday and Reading on Saturday and Sunday.
* Elmira is 17-5-5 in one-goal games including 3-1 in overtime and 3-4 in shootouts.
* Mike Sgroi has five goals and eight points in eight games since being acquired from Utah on Feb. 2.
* Elmira plays at Dayton on Wednesday and at Cincinnati on Friday and Saturday.
* Chiefs are 27.5 percent (11-for-40) on the power play in the last six games.
* Petr Pohl has 11 points (5g-6a) in his last four games.
* Chiefs play at Florida on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
* Defenseman Tim Branham has nine assists and nine points in his last 10 games.
* Brock Hooton has 17 assists and 25 points in his last 19 games.
* Royals play at Cincinnati on Tuesday and Wednesday and host Dayton on Saturday and Sunday.
* Trenton is 13-0-2 in their last 15 home games and 19-8-3 overall at Sovereign Bank Arena.
* Brad Snetsinger scored career-high five points (3g-2a) on Saturday and has 19 points (8g-11a) in February.
* Trenton hosts Wheeling on Tuesday and plays at Wheeling on Saturday and Sunday.
* Nailers are second in the ECHL with 3.74 goals per game.
* Bryan Ewing leads ECHL rookies and is second overall with 68 points (35g-33a).
* Nailers play at Trenton on Tuesday before hosting Dayton on Friday and Trenton on Saturday and Sunday.
American Conference - South Division
* Jeff Miles has a seven-game point streak (6g-6a).
* Jeff Jakaitis is 4-1-0 with a shutout and a goals-against average of 2.19 in his last five starts.
* Charlotte plays at South Carolina on Tuesday and at Gwinnett on Friday before hosting Mississippi on Sunday.
* Mathieu Roy has eight goals and 14 points in his last 12 games.
* Kevin Baker leads the league with 78 points, 43 goals, 20 power-play goals and eight game-winning goals.
* Everblades host Johnstown on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
* Dirk Southern (5g-7a) and Jordan Fox (7g-5a) lead team with 12 points in February.
* Dan Turple is 1-0-1 with a goals-against average of 2.94 in his first three games.
* Gladiators host Charlotte on Friday and play at South Carolina on Sunday.
Mississippi Sea Wolves
* Mathieu Melanson has a three-game point streak (4g-4a) and 23 points (11g-12a) in his last 12 games.
* Ryan Munce is 4-1-2 with two shootout wins in his last seven games.
* Mississippi plays at South Carolina on Saturday and at Charlotte on Sunday.
South Carolina Stingrays
* Travis Morin (+25), Nate Kiser (+22) and Trent Campbell (+20) lead the ECHL in plus-minus rating.
* Rookie Michael Dubuc is tied for the league lead with 11 goals in 11 games in February.
* Stingrays host Charlotte on Tuesday, Mississippi on Saturday and Gwinnett on Sunday.
National Conference - West Division
* Alaska is third in the league with a goals-against average of 2.67.
* Matt Stefanishion has four points (1g-3a) in his first two games with Alaska.
* Alaska plays at Bakersfield on Tuesday and hosts Utah on Friday and Saturday.
* Mark Bomersback has a seven-game point streak (6g-3a).
* Rejean Beauchemin is 6-1-0 with a goals-against average of 2.82 in his last seven games.
* Steelheads host Utah on Tuesday and Wednesday and play at Stockton on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
* RoadRunners are 14-11-2 at home, one win shy of team record 15 wins in 2006-07.
* Rookie Kyle Jones is 3-2-0 with a goals-against average of 1.80 in his last five starts.
* Phoenix hosts Las Vegas on Monday, Ontario on Thursday and Bakersfield on Saturday and plays at Ontario on Friday.
* Grizzlies are 3-1-2 and have allowed two goals or less four times in their last six games
* Rob Hennigar has a six-game point streak (1g-10a).
* Grizzlies play at Idaho on Tuesday and Wednesday and at Alaska on Friday and Sunday.
Victoria Salmon Kings
* Salmon Kings are second in the ECHL on the penalty kill with 87.4 percent (228-for-261).
* Chris St. Jacques has a seven-game point streak (5g-4a).
* Salmon Kings play at Ontario on Monday.
National Conference - Pacific Division
* Condors are 6-0-1 in their last seven games and 8-1-1 in their last 10 games.
* Mark Derlago (3g-2a), Chad Painchaud (2g-3a) and Dave Bonk (0g-4a) combined for 14 points in Sundayís 5-2 win against Victoria.
* Condors host Alaska on Tuesday and Las Vegas on Sunday and play at Phoenix on Saturday.
Las Vegas Wranglers
* Las Vegas is on 10-game road trip which is the longest in team history.
* Tyler Mosienko has 53 goals, one shy of Dan Tudinís team record of 54 goals.
* Las Vegas plays at Phoenix on Monday, at Stockton on Wednesday, at Ontario on Saturday and at Bakersfield on Sunday.
* Reign are sixth in the ECHL with a goals-against average of 2.77.
* Kellen Briggs is 3-0-0 with a shutout and a goals-against average of 1.000 in his last three starts.
* Reign host Victoria on Monday, Phoenix on Friday and Las Vegas on Saturday and play at Phoenix on Thursday.
* Stockton is second in the National Conference with 14 road wins.
* Ryan Huddy has 27 goals, two shy of Mike Lalondeís team record of 29 goals.
* Stockton hosts Las Vegas on Wednesday and Idaho on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 PM.