Old 01-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadubbin View Post
I found it pretty funny that the Pens are considered the pre-season favorites to win the Cup.When it's the same exact team minus Staal/add Sutter that was atrocious defensively down the stretch,and with the worst penalty killing ever seen in years,if not for all time..Not that I've ever been the optimistic one here,but I'm not buying that crap...This season is going to be way too short to have any prolonged let downs...
There is one reason they are the favorites and that's cause Crosby is healthy. Whether he stay healthy is another question. Meanwhile Malkin was the best player in the world last season and this year so far with little to no talk of.
RIP Derek Boogarrd
RIP Rick Rypien
RIP Wade Belak
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killah_punk View Post
There is one reason they are the favorites and that's cause Crosby is healthy. Whether he stay healthy is another question. Meanwhile Malkin was the best player in the world last season and this year so far with little to no talk of.
Actually KP for me it starts between the pipes.It's all going to depend on the confidence of MAF.I like the Vokoun signing for that reason alone.Let's face it.MAF was horrible in the playoffs last year.Never seen anything like it before.Which makes us all question his state of mind as soon as the going gets tough and he lets in a soft one.It's going to be pretty interesting to see how this plays out in a very shortened season..
Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Actually KP for me it starts between the pipes.It's all going to depend on the confidence of MAF.I like the Vokoun signing for that reason alone.Let's face it.MAF was horrible in the playoffs last year.Never seen anything like it before.Which makes us all question his state of mind as soon as the going gets tough and he lets in a soft one.It's going to be pretty interesting to see how this plays out in a very shortened season..
I agree on Fleury he needs to find his game and quick. I do like having Vokoun as a capable back up who can take over the reigns if Fleury can't find his game or gets injuried. Brent Johnson was a great teammate but he sucked in nets.
RIP Derek Boogarrd
RIP Rick Rypien
RIP Wade Belak
Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Hall of Famer

I would like to see Adams disappear and Sill get a chance.
RIP Derek Boogarrd
RIP Rick Rypien
RIP Wade Belak
Old 01-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Hall of Famer

The problem with Fleury last year was that he played too many games, and when the playoffs rolled around, he got tired. Vokoun was brought in to allow Flower to get more rest and keep him fresh for the postseason. With the shortened season, I suspect Flower will play roughly 30 games and Vokoun 18. In a full season, Flower plays 55-60 games and Vokoun 22-27. I think that would be a good mix.

As for their Cup chances, their highly suspect defense is what will ruin their chances again if they don't do something to shore it up or the guys they have step up their game, and if they don't get overly enamored with offense. Their defense was just embarrassing late last season, and that cannot happen again.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Hall of Famer

The Pittsburgh Penguins will offer FREE selected concession items and “half off” all merchandise at the team’s first four games at CONSOL Energy Center.

Every fan attending each of those games will receive a voucher for three free concession items. Fans may choose from among hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, nachos, popcorn, pretzels, salads and fountain drinks.

All merchandise at “PensGear” stores will be half off for the first four games. The PensGear store in the main lobby of CONSOL Energy Center and PensGear at SouthSide Works will offer the half-off discount throughout the day on the first four home dates.

In addition, the Penguins will hold a week-long program of contests for fans to win exciting prizes leading up to the home opener. The contests will be held via social media and the team’s website. Prizes include:

- A pair of tickets to every home game during the 2013 regular season
- A road trip for two to see the Penguins play the Rangers in New York City (airfare, accommodations, tickets)
- Three autographed jerseys – one each from Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury
- Four seats in the first row at the home opener, including dinner in the Lexus Club and limo service to and from the game
- Two five-game mini-plans
- Six lower bowl tickets to any regular season game
- $700 of merchandise at PensGear

More...
Old 01-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Hall of Famer

I may have to hit up one of the training camp deals.

Games Attended 2012-2013: 12
Fights Seen 2012-2013: 12
Old 01-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I found it pretty funny that the Pens are considered the pre-season favorites to win the Cup.When it's the same exact team minus Staal/add Sutter that was atrocious defensively down the stretch,and with the worst penalty killing ever seen in years,if not for all time..Not that I've ever been the optimistic one here,but I'm not buying that crap...This season is going to be way too short to have any prolonged let downs...
Yeah lots of question marks. I don't think the Staal/Sutter swap will be very noticeable. Sutter should be able to easily replicate Staal's game. Maybe score less goals, but they led the league in goals last season, so it's not urgent that he puts up 20-25 goals. The tissue soft defense is my concern. Besides Engelland and Orpik, who's gonna clear the front of the net? I do expect a better season out of Martin. He knows he sucked, and hopefully has a chip on his shoulder. Maybe Bortuzzo replaces Lovejoy. He was on the Madden show today and said he was up to 220lbs at 6'4".

Hard to say with Fleury. Extremely inconsistent. Hopefully the long layoff was enough for him to clear his mind. Just awful in the playoffs.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Pens schedule thus far appears to be January 19th @ Philly and January 20th @ NYR.

Brutal opening games, and two picks for the SCF by quite a few people. Should be interesting to see the schedule once it comes out.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tython View Post
Yeah lots of question marks. I don't think the Staal/Sutter swap will be very noticeable. Sutter should be able to easily replicate Staal's game. Maybe score less goals, but they led the league in goals last season, so it's not urgent that he puts up 20-25 goals. The tissue soft defense is my concern. Besides Engelland and Orpik, who's gonna clear the front of the net? I do expect a better season out of Martin. He knows he sucked, and hopefully has a chip on his shoulder. Maybe Bortuzzo replaces Lovejoy. He was on the Madden show today and said he was up to 220lbs at 6'4".

Hard to say with Fleury. Extremely inconsistent. Hopefully the long layoff was enough for him to clear his mind. Just awful in the playoffs.
If the defense improves, Fleury will be better. I guarantee it. I don't care if you're Dominik Hasek in his prime, any goalie will struggle mightily if the guys in front of you consistently hang you out to dry.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:54 AM
Hall of Famer

True, but at the same time, he let in a ton of cupcakes that had nothing to do with the defense in front of him. Dude needs some confidence to be on top of his game.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tython View Post
True, but at the same time, he let in a ton of cupcakes that had nothing to do with the defense in front of him. Dude needs some confidence to be on top of his game.
Think about it, though. Up until Crosby's return late in the season, he was playing pretty well despite having to play so many games due to Johnson sucking so much. Yeah, he let in some soft goals, but he was still playing some good hockey. He had to, given all of the injuries at the time. As soon as the team gets healthier and Crosby came back, they decided to go all offense, all the time, completely forgetting that they had to play defense. Fleury had to face a lot more prime scoring chances as a result - lots of odd-man rushes - and he gave up a lot of goals. Flower does need confidence to be at his best, but he also needs to get some help from the guys in front of him.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Hall of Famer

I don't disagree with any of that. The guy got over-worked, and there's only a few goalies in the league that can play so many games and still be successful...MAF isn't one of them. He was getting shelled at times, and the PK was beyond abysmal in the playoffs. All of that is true, but at the same time, he let in a lot of easy ones against Philly.

Super Goal Max Talbot (Penguins vs Flyers)...
Claude Giroux goal. Pittsburgh Penguins vs...

Those are just a couple off the top of my head. Fleury too often finds himself flailing around out of position and letting soft goals in. He's way too mentally fragile. When there are defensive breakdowns, it'd be nice if he could bail them out a few times, but there's too many times where he doesn't. Not entirely his fault, but the great goalies bail their teams out.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Hall of Famer

He does tend to get himself overly hyped up and puts so much pressure on himself that he ends up doing exactly what he did in those 2 clips. If he would just relax and calmly get into position to let the puck hit him, those 2 goals don't happen. It's not necessarily that he's mentally fragile - the guy has backstopped the team to the Final 2 years in a row and won it once. There is nothing more pressure-packed than playing in and winning Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. You don't do that if you're not mentally tough. It's just a matter of him settling down and just playing his game.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:52 PM
News Junkie

Possible 2013 Schedule
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chilly666 For This Useful Post:
FightingIsGood (01-12-2013), Wadubbin (01-12-2013)
Closed Thread