Old 03-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Ottawa at Tampa Bay 3/29/11

Vote: Chris Neil vs Steve Downie Mar 29, 2011
YouTube - Chris Neil vs Steve Downie Mar...

Chris Neil vs Steve Downie

Starts in the corner as Neil elbows Downie in the Back of the head and shoves him down, Downie gets up as Neil keep shoving him and he finally obliges. They get in tight and grapple Neil throws a few short rights that miss and Downie responds with a soft right, they spin and Neil is throwing a few uppercuts and a left that all look to miss. Downie comes back with 2 decent rights that land while yelling "i'm done" and landing another decent right then Neil throws 2 looping shots that barely miss and Downie goes to a knee.

I'd have to go with Edge Downie for landing the only solid punches, but a Draw would suffice. interested to see a different angle to see those last shots by Neil.... it's possible they landed but it didn't look like it!

0321 00'-05' Celer Silens Mortalis

Last edited by VodkaFish; 03-29-2011 at 11:32 PM. Reason: vid/link
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Win Downie. Neil's an idiot
Old 03-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Hall of Famer

I had a feeling Neil would go after Downie. Tb really needs a fighter, or at least a guy that can back up Downie.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukoshi84 View Post
Chris Neil Vs Steve Downie

Starts in the corner as Neil elbows Downie in the Back of the head and shoves him down, Downie gets up as Neil keep shoving him and he finally obliges. They get in tight and grapple Neil throws a few short rights that miss and Downie responds with a soft right, they spin and Neil is throwing a few uppercuts and a left that all look to miss. Downie comes back with 2 decent rights that land while yelling "i'm done" and landing another decent right then Neil throws 2 looping shots that barely miss and Downie goes to a knee.

I'd have to go with Edge Downie for landing the only solid punches, but a Draw would suffice. interested to see a different angle to see those last shots by Neil.... it's possible they landed but it didn't look like it!
Did I read the right? Doesnt make sense..I'll have to see the video but I cant see giving an edge/win to someone who is yelling "im done" during the fight. Seems like hes bailing..na?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Super All-Star

The Lightning with back-to-back wins, and back to back fight nights! Coincidence?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Super All-Star

Just saw the video.

Solid draw IMO, unless there is video showing the lefts Neal threw at the end landing.

Neil looked like a real ass in the entire clip. Starts out with an elbow to the head, then pulls down Downie and a linesman.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Hall of Famer

im givin the W to downie. totally shocked
Old 03-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm giving the W to the guy in the Flyers t-shirt in the background. Go Flyers!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:54 PM
All-Star

yeah id have to go draw/ edge downie. neil trying to throw bombs that didnt look like they landed and downie with the counterpunches. were there any questionable hits by downie in this game? if not this could be neil trying to get some payback for the mcammond hit
Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigty View Post
Just saw the video.

Solid draw IMO, unless there is video showing the lefts Neal threw at the end landing.

Neil looked like a real ass in the entire clip. Starts out with an elbow to the head, then pulls down Downie and a linesman.
Live by the sword die by the sword. Downie took a run at Neil's head in the 1st, he better be ready to answer for it. Neil will drop the elbow on him if that's what it takes to get him to go.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Veteran

After watching the cideo again it does seem that Downie yells ''I'm done!'', I didn't initially understand what he was saying but it does appear as though he was yelling at the linesmen,

Don Cherry: '' Yeah, you're a gutless backstabbing little ****.''
Old 03-30-2011, 12:03 AM
All-Star

Edge Downie? Give me a break, clear draw.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Minor Leaguer

Edge Neil
Old 03-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Veteran

as much as I cant stand pumpkin head, he won here. Downie tried to bail once early while yelling he was done and spinning around. He then sucessfully bailed falling to the ice when he realized the zebras weren't jumping in and Neil was still swinging. Just wondering if Downie hurt himself prior to yelling I'm done, he was looking to get out in a hurry after the initial exchange.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Coach

This fight showed the great and bad side of both these players.

If you are playing against Chris Neil he isn't so intimidating that you can't just have a middleweight go take him on, but at the same time, Neil can fight anyone and grind out a win. It is a funny give and take.

In this fight, Downie wanted out of it, sure he threw some shots, but if this fight kept going Neil would have won, and he was upset and just punked him at the ends by pulling Downie to the ice. Downie wouldn't even make eye contact after the fight. I am not calling Downie out, I think it is great that a player like him and take on and hold his own against Neil, but as a hockey guy, watching this fight gave me the impression the Downie was just doing his thing and Neil was the much tougher guy.

Draw with a mental win to Neil.
"We would have loved for the series to end in a tie, it would be fair for us and for Canadians. But that goal just proves how Canadians have that special quality - they fight until the last second, they push until they get what they want."
Alexander Yakushev - on the 72 series
Closed Thread

Tags
chris neil, ottawa senators, steve downie, tampa bay lightning