#2851 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2010, 08:57 PM
IcePlayer's Avatar
All-Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churla22 View Post
Maybe because you called him "John" MacIntyre.

Outside of that, I didn't think your list was that outlandish.
LOL, there is a guy on my night shift called John McIntyre, confused. Cheers dude.
__________________
Ottawa Senators:- 19th in FM's

Better...
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2852 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2010, 09:34 PM
All-Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePlayer View Post
How so? I don't think its far off the mark. The only one I considered is maybe Parros in there somewhere but his fighting has been pretty poor this year, his balance issues are a real problem.

John Scott hasn't fought nearly enough to be considered top 10.
Dont get me wrong for the most part I would say pretty good other than some guy named John on there but we all know who your talking about.. What I was meaning is you put Neil in your top 10 and there are alot of ppl on here that will take offence to that for some reason. Personaly I love Neil and would love for him to be in the top 10 but I just dont think its in the cards for him.
Reply With Quote
  #2853 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2010, 09:42 PM
29th_Candidate's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,970
Current rankings

1. Derek Boogaard
2. Eric Godard
3. Trevor Gillies
4. Shawn Thornton
5. Paul Bissonnette
6. Deryk Engelland
7. Eric Boulton
8. Matt Carkner
9. Steve MacIntyre
10. Colton Orr

Honorable mentions:
George Parros, John Scott, Chris Neil, Jody Shelley, Zenon Konopka, John Scott
Reply With Quote
  #2854 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2010, 09:59 PM
IcePlayer's Avatar
All-Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBoy View Post
Dont get me wrong for the most part I would say pretty good other than some guy named John on there but we all know who your talking about.. What I was meaning is you put Neil in your top 10 and there are alot of ppl on here that will take offence to that for some reason. Personaly I love Neil and would love for him to be in the top 10 but I just dont think its in the cards for him.
Yeah I get what you're saying, and its probably a bit of Sens homer coming out in me.

Thing is, Neil is proven over many years, I see people like Bisonnette, Engelland etc. in there and I think he could hang, or win a best of 7 with those 2. Engelland has a decisive win over Orr, on any given night, any of these guys can beat each other.
__________________
Ottawa Senators:- 19th in FM's

Better...
Reply With Quote
  #2855 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Sapunka16's Avatar
Super All-Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBoy View Post
Its ok to hate the Bruins being a Flyers fan but at least attempt to not look biased. He beat Boogaard and Godard had a draw with Shelley and got edged out Gillies maybe a draw...

But you are right though Boogaard is the #1 and to have Thornton above him is a bit silly...
Actually, I like Shawn Thornton and he's probably one of my favorite players that isn't on the Flyers.

Nothing I wrote in my post is wrong, I think it's a stretch to say he beat Boogaard and Godard. Honestly I'd rather call it a win for Thornton against Godard, since I like Thornton and don't like Godard, but my honest opinion is that it was a draw.

Anyways, what my point was is that "The best fighter he has a clear win against is Boulton." Not an edge, a clear win. The close fights (Boogaard/Godard) get him up to 4 or 5, but he needs to have a clear win against a top 10 fighter before he goes higher than that, no matter what you call those two fights.
__________________
"People will know coming into our building what they'll get away with and what they won't," Shelley said. "We've got a lot of big guys, there's a lot of pride and there's a way to act when you're wearing a Flyers uniform, and every team that plays against the Flyers for years has known that."
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapunka16 For This Useful Post:
Killah_punk (12-13-2010)
  #2856 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Sapunka16's Avatar
Super All-Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29th_Candidate View Post
Could you explain how Gillies is #3, when he has 0 wins against anyone in your top 10?


Also, why does John Scott get TWO honorable mentions?
__________________
"People will know coming into our building what they'll get away with and what they won't," Shelley said. "We've got a lot of big guys, there's a lot of pride and there's a way to act when you're wearing a Flyers uniform, and every team that plays against the Flyers for years has known that."
Reply With Quote
  #2857 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Sapunka16's Avatar
Super All-Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churla22 View Post
Outside of that, I didn't think your list was that outlandish.
Neil being there is all I have a problem with.
__________________
"People will know coming into our building what they'll get away with and what they won't," Shelley said. "We've got a lot of big guys, there's a lot of pride and there's a way to act when you're wearing a Flyers uniform, and every team that plays against the Flyers for years has known that."
Reply With Quote
  #2858 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 AM
IcePlayer's Avatar
All-Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapunka16 View Post
Neil being there is all I have a problem with.
If Belak or McGrattan even dressed I would have no problem bumping them in there and Neil would be long gone. Same for Ivanans.
__________________
Ottawa Senators:- 19th in FM's

Better...
Reply With Quote
  #2859 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2010, 12:27 AM
29th_Candidate's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapunka16 View Post
Could you explain how Gillies is #3, when he has 0 wins against anyone in your top 10?
Apparently, we've been watching two different NHLs, Sapunka. In the NHL I've been watching, Gillies is 2-1-1 against the (best) fighters in my top 10. Gillies lost to Boogaard. He outfought Thornton. I thought he drew against Godard, but your mileage may vary (I still gave Godard the edge in my top 10). Gillies beat Boulton (in their fight last April). Thornton also beat Boulton. Boulton beat Carkner.

Since Gillies took Thornton, he's a peg above him in my order. Since I consider Thornton tougher than Bisonette and Engelland, and since Engelland tuned up Orr twice and beat Shelley, and since Bisonette got the better of Engelland, well, that pretty much explains the rest of the order.

Even assuming everything I just said isn't as logical as I'm certain it is, the only person in that top 10 who has taken Gillies is Boogard. Though I think he drew with Godard, I still gave Godard the edge in my rankings. It's apparent you don't think Gillies is as tough as I do. Congratulations, we have a difference of opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapunka16 View Post
Also, why does John Scott get TWO honorable mentions?

He's got a name so nice, I had to mention it twice. If you think that's unfair to the other guys on my list, I'll consider deleting one of the mentions.
Reply With Quote
  #2860 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2010, 12:41 AM
All-Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29th_Candidate View Post
Apparently, we've been watching two different NHLs, Sapunka. In the NHL I've been watching, Gillies is 2-1-1 against the (best) fighters in my top 10. Gillies lost to Boogaard. He outfought Thornton. I thought he drew against Godard, but your mileage may vary (I still gave Godard the edge in my top 10). Gillies beat Boulton (in their fight last April). Thornton also beat Boulton. Boulton beat Carkner.

Since Gillies took Thornton, he's a peg above him in my order. Since I consider Thornton tougher than Bisonette and Engelland, and since Engelland tuned up Orr twice and beat Shelley, and since Bisonette got the better of Engelland, well, that pretty much explains the rest of the order.

Even assuming everything I just said isn't as logical as I'm certain it is, the only person in that top 10 who has taken Gillies is Boogard. Though I think he drew with Godard, I still gave Godard the edge in my rankings. It's apparent you don't think Gillies is as tough as I do. Congratulations, we have a difference of opinion.




He's got a name so nice, I had to mention it twice. If you think that's unfair to the other guys on my list, I'll consider deleting one of the mentions.
Nope still makes no sense cause than you would have to factor in even more like Thornton and Carkner having wins over Boogaard and if you say it was cause they were to close than you cant use the Gillies vs. Thornton fight in your argument cause most called that a draw!
Reply With Quote
  #2861 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2010, 01:45 AM
29th_Candidate's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBoy View Post
Nope still makes no sense cause than you would have to factor in even more like Thornton and Carkner having wins over Boogaard and if you say it was cause they were to close than you cant use the Gillies vs. Thornton fight in your argument cause most called that a draw!
"Makes no sense"? How about a simple, "you disagree with it."? It absolutely does make sense. You just don't agree with it. That's your option.

I didn't say I was going to calculate the exact scientific odds of my being completely accurate, I'm just providing a logical basis for my reasoning. Cut me some slack, BB. Yeah, there are going to be some anomalies. Some fighters lose to fighters who've lost to other fighters they've beaten. Carkner got beaten by Boulton. Does that mean Boulton can take Boogaard? Of course not. Nor, I'm quite certain, is either Carkner or Thornton tougher than Boogaard. They both tied him up and danced with him. So what.

Did either Carkner or Thorts inflict any damage on him? Hell, no. If someone goes toe to toe with Boogaard, exchanges serious bombs with him, and looks like he's less damaged than Boogie afterwards, I'll put him higher on my list than Boogaard. Somehow, I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. I think Gillies is number three, and I've told you why I think so. You disagree. I think I can live with that.

Incidentally, I'm pretty certain you're wrong about ". . .most called that a draw!" (exclamation point?) If you look at the fight card, you'll see that most people (i.e., 55.5 percent) who rated the fight gave Gillies the edge. That's not a draw, that's a win for Gillies.
Reply With Quote
  #2862 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Sapunka16's Avatar
Super All-Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePlayer View Post
If Belak or McGrattan even dressed I would have no problem bumping them in there and Neil would be long gone. Same for Ivanans.
What about D.J. King? He's been having a bit of a disappointing season, but he has a win against Thornton in preaseason, and drew with Boogaard last year in a pretty good fight (some even think he beat Boogy). I don't think anything Neil has done is more impressive than that. John Scott could also be ahead of Neil.. Compare their fights against Westgarth.
__________________
"People will know coming into our building what they'll get away with and what they won't," Shelley said. "We've got a lot of big guys, there's a lot of pride and there's a way to act when you're wearing a Flyers uniform, and every team that plays against the Flyers for years has known that."
Reply With Quote
  #2863 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Sapunka16's Avatar
Super All-Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29th_Candidate View Post
Incidentally, I'm pretty certain you're wrong about ". . .most called that a draw!" (exclamation point?) If you look at the fight card, you'll see that most people (i.e., 55.5 percent) who rated the fight gave Gillies the edge. That's not a draw, that's a win for Gillies.
Using the voting % to show the "right" result usually isn't helpful unless it's above 60% for a win, or above 50% saying draw... Those results are usually pretty clear.

You're right about "most" people calling it a win for Gillies, but when it's that low of a %, it was likely just a slight edge.

One question though, if 55% voting for Gillies in that fight gives him a win, wouldn't "Voted winner: Eric Godard (67.1%)" mean that Godard beat Gillies?
__________________
"People will know coming into our building what they'll get away with and what they won't," Shelley said. "We've got a lot of big guys, there's a lot of pride and there's a way to act when you're wearing a Flyers uniform, and every team that plays against the Flyers for years has known that."
Reply With Quote
  #2864 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2010, 04:07 PM
29th_Candidate's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapunka16 View Post

One question though, if 55% voting for Gillies in that fight gives him a win, wouldn't "Voted winner: Eric Godard (67.1%)" mean that Godard beat Gillies?
It would and it does, S16. I only said that I personally thought it looked like a draw.
Reply With Quote
  #2865 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Sapunka16's Avatar
Super All-Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,163
Either way, we have a huge toss up after #1 Boogy and #2 MacIntyre, which is why I haven't posted my list yet.. Godard, Thornton, Gillies, King, and Shelley could all change spots after just 1 fight.

Though I don't think Gillies should be that high yet. You referenced last year's win against Boulton as part of your case, but take into account Colton Orr's performance last year. I think Orr is still #3 at this point, especially if you are taking into account where they were at the end of last season.
__________________
"People will know coming into our building what they'll get away with and what they won't," Shelley said. "We've got a lot of big guys, there's a lot of pride and there's a way to act when you're wearing a Flyers uniform, and every team that plays against the Flyers for years has known that."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 AM.