Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Who is the best fighter?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Super All-Star

Can Konopka reach 400 penalty minutes?

He is on pace for 383, can he keep it up an possible reach 400 for the season?
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Hall of Famer

I say he'll easily break the 250 mark (260 was his mark last year). Though depending on injuries, you never know.

I would say though, this is Konopka's best chance to break the 300 mark in the NHL
The Following User Says Thank You to Humpzilla For This Useful Post:
T800m101 (11-18-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Hall of Famer

400, no way. 300 is a stretch
Old 11-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Veteran

I wish the new Ian Laperriere well on his quest to rack up a crazy amount of PIMS while being an average fighter at best. I like Z as much as anyone, but he's part of the reason a heavyweight like Gillies doesn't play.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engbloms Tits View Post
I wish the new Ian Laperriere well on his quest to rack up a crazy amount of PIMS while being an average fighter at best. I like Z as much as anyone, but he's part of the reason a heavyweight like Gillies doesn't play.
shouldn't it be the better player plays?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknuckler View Post
shouldn't it be the better player plays?
No.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Hall of Famer

One thing to keep in mind: This year, not only is Konopka fighting, he also seems to be losing his temper far more than I've seen him do in the past. Take last night for example -- he broke his stick over a Lightning player, all because they scored with half a second to go in the 1st period. He never did stuff like that last season, for that very Tampa Bay team. He received no penalty.

And at the end of the game, Konopka was given a misconduct with only half a minute left to go in a 4-2 loss. Was he going to get a Lightning player to drop the mitts -- Hell no. But i'm starting to think refs are beginning to target him, ala Steve Downie. If this keeps up, watch for Konopka's PIM totals to continue to rise. Especially if the Islanders keep on their path of youthful futility.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Hall of Famer

sometimes it looks like he gets 10 min. misconducts when the game is out of reach almost purposely !!

sam rosen
Old 11-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpzilla View Post
One thing to keep in mind: This year, not only is Konopka fighting, he also seems to be losing his temper far more than I've seen him do in the past. Take last night for example -- he broke his stick over a Lightning player, all because they scored with half a second to go in the 1st period. He never did stuff like that last season, for that very Tampa Bay team. He received no penalty.

And at the end of the game, Konopka was given a misconduct with only half a minute left to go in a 4-2 loss. Was he going to get a Lightning player to drop the mitts -- Hell no. But i'm starting to think refs are beginning to target him, ala Steve Downie. If this keeps up, watch for Konopka's PIM totals to continue to rise. Especially if the Islanders keep on their path of youthful futility.
It's hard to keep your cool when your team sucks.

IslesEnforcers.com
Website|Youtube|Twitter
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IhateLindros For This Useful Post:
chilly666 (11-18-2010), Engbloms Tits (11-18-2010), Fotiu (11-20-2010), T800m101 (11-18-2010), The Rover (11-19-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigty View Post
He is on pace for 383, can he keep it up an possible reach 400 for the season?
If he wore a Flyer jersey, then yes.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Hall of Famer

i honestly think he'll end up with less then last year. i'd say 230 range
Old 11-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm with the concensus...

With todays game, it will be hard for a player to ever reach the 400 PIM ever again. Although we'd all like to see someone do it, it just isn't a reality. Barring no injury and Zenon Konopka dresses every game, averaging a fight every other game....maybe, but doubtful. I like what someone said earlier, with Konopka in the lineup, Trevor Gillies is rarely going to see much ice time/fights, unless against a SHW; which is who I would rather see fight regarding all the "HW's" in the east. Only time will tell, but I see him at roughly 230-250 range. Ahhh, the old days of a few guys with 300+ PIMs. Bring back a CRAZY Brian McGrattan and his 500+ PIMs in the 'A'
Old 11-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCBC00 View Post
With todays game, it will be hard for a player to ever reach the 400 PIM ever again. Although we'd all like to see someone do it, it just isn't a reality. Barring no injury and Zenon Konopka dresses every game, averaging a fight every other game....maybe, but doubtful. I like what someone said earlier, with Konopka in the lineup, Trevor Gillies is rarely going to see much ice time/fights, unless against a SHW; which is who I would rather see fight regarding all the "HW's" in the east. Only time will tell, but I see him at roughly 230-250 range. Ahhh, the old days of a few guys with 300+ PIMs. Bring back a CRAZY Brian McGrattan and his 500+ PIMs in the 'A'
While getting to 30+ majors will play a huge factor, its the misconducts and buttman packages that will make the difference. Last night he got a 10 minute misconduct for just being on the ice it seemed. If he gets thrown out with a misconduct every time he is on the ice with less than 2 and the Isles down by 2 or more he will have no problem.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpzilla View Post

Carcillo gets those penalties/misconducts all of the time for no reason. It's a joke.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bney7 View Post
Carcillo gets those penalties/misconducts all of the time for no reason. It's a joke.
Noone here was talking about Carcillo, can you read the thread title? Go back to one of the terrible Flyer threads and proclaim Carcillo's innocence there. You Flyer and Carcillo fans find a way to de-rail every thread in this forum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GroundSwell For This Useful Post:
dodge8954 (11-18-2010), NJD Oliwa (11-18-2010)