Old 06-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Coach

B's give Thomas permission to seek trade

Quote:
It's no secret the Boston Bruins would like to trade goaltender, Tim Thomas.

Sources tell TSN the Bruins have granted Thomas's agent, Bill Zito, permission to speak directly with NHL teams about the possibility of trade.

Thomas has three years remaining on his contract at an annual cap hit of $5 million per year.

His contract also contains a no-move clause, which Thomas is willing to waive if the right opportunity is presented.

Sources say Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli intiated this more aggressive approach and Zito agreed he would make calls if permission was granted.
I'm excited just thinking about $5 mil more in spending money.
The Following User Says Thank You to blackngold For This Useful Post:
Thornton 19 (06-25-2010)
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Hall of Famer

Don't hold your breath. It doesn't sound like other GM's are exactly ringing Chia-pet's phone off the hook. (i.e. not a single inquiry) My guess is that if anything happens, it won't happen until training camp.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:09 PM
All-Star

I'm not too excited about Thomas going, if he does. I am not convinced Rask can handle an entire season and be the team's go-to-guy. If Thomas can go, it's great we get the cap room, but Rask scares me. He collapsed in the Playoffs and lets in too many goals over the top. He flops way too early, and I think that could be trouble all year. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think Rask is ready for the number 1 job exclusively just yet.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruins68 View Post
I'm not too excited about Thomas going, if he does. I am not convinced Rask can handle an entire season and be the team's go-to-guy. If Thomas can go, it's great we get the cap room, but Rask scares me. He collapsed in the Playoffs and lets in too many goals over the top. He flops way too early, and I think that could be trouble all year. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think Rask is ready for the number 1 job exclusively just yet.
I on the other hand think he is more than ready of being the workhorse. He didn't collapse in the playoffs. If he did, it wasn't any worse than the rest of the team's collapse.

I've always liked Timmy but old + often injured + 5 million a year freed up = need to trade him.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Coach

Quote:
Tim Thomas has waived his no-trade clause, according to an NHL source. The Flyers have shown interest in Thomas.

Thomas has three years remaining on his contract with a $5 million annual cap hit. The 36-year-old Thomas is coming off hip surgery.

Like Thomas, Jeff Carter has a $5 million annual cap hit. But Carter would be too much for the Flyers to give up in a one-for-one Thomas deal.
- Fluto
Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Hall of Famer

I agree with the fact that Thomas won't possibly be moved until training camp at the earliest. Maybe even mid-season.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Hall of Famer

He can still play some hockey though. Whereever it is, Boston, Etc.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:24 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold View Post
I on the other hand think he is more than ready of being the workhorse. He didn't collapse in the playoffs. If he did, it wasn't any worse than the rest of the team's collapse.

I've always liked Timmy but old + often injured + 5 million a year freed up = need to trade him.
The way I see it, Rask has shown some irritating habits he can't seem to shake, $5 million is a lot, but I'm not happy with the idea of Nolan Schaefer being out backup.

Tags
boston bruins, tim thomas