New York (1-1-0) —

Goals scored: 10

Goals against: 9

Current streak: 1L

Time: 7 p.m. ET

Rink: Madison Square Garden

Quote:
What's at stake

The Toronto Maple Leafs can accomplish in two weeks what took them nearly two months to accomplish last season. The Maple Leafs can earn their fourth victory of the season tonight in Manhattan, which is remarkable considering it took them until Nov. 21 to get it last season. With season-opening wins over Montreal, Ottawa and Pittsburgh, Toronto is enjoying its finest start in eons, and, with a win tonight over the New York Rangers, would be 4-0 for the first time since 1993-94.

That said, the Rangers will be seeking to win their fifth straight home opener, and will be buoyed by the return of captain Chris Drury, who has yet to play since breaking an index finger in the first week of training camp. The veteran centre will likely be flanked by front-line wingers Marian Gaborik and Alexander Frolov. Second-year pro Matt Gilroy, a healthy scratch in New York's first two games, gets to play at the expense of rookie Mike Sauer.

Players to watch

Toronto — Dion Phaneuf

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but Toronto is 16-10-3 with Phaneuf patrolling the blue-line and has tightened its penalty kill from 70.1 per cent to 85.1 per cent.

New York — Brandon Dubinsky

Dubinsky has scored three times in New York's first two games this season. He raked the Maple Leafs for two goals and seven points in four games last season.

Goaltending matchup

Toronto — Jean-Sebastian Giguere

Jiggy is unbeaten with a stellar .935 save percentage in two starts this season. He was 1-1-0 with a 1.51 goals-against average in his last two trips to MSG.

New York — Henrik Lundqvist

King Henrik looked positively regal in winning the season opener at Buffalo, but he surrendered two power-play goals in 58 seconds late in a 6-4 loss on Long Island.

Injury report

Toronto — Expect D Brett Lebda (shoulder) to make his debut for the Maple Leafs. F Colton Orr remains a question mark after being floored by Deryk Engelland.

New York — F Erik Christensen (groin/thigh) is questionable.
The series

New York scored an average of six goals per game in going 3-0-1 versus Toronto last season. Friday's game is one of four this season between the Original Six rivals. They meet three times in a span of eight games this month.
I don't want to jinx it, but I have a feeling Leafs are going to lose this one. I hope Orr is in for the sake of Orr vs Boogaard. But if he fights Boogey, he may end up on his back again. It will be their first fight in the NHL. Last year Boogey turned him down twice when the Wild beat us, there's no way he turns him down this time actually it might be Orr doing the declining.
Ezekiel 25:17
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Hall of Famer

The Leafs and Rangers play each other again next week so I imagine Orr will wait until then to fight Boogaard.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Colton is going to bring it tonight even harder considering what happened last game.

When you get dropped like that you want to get your next fight out of the way as quick as possible... that is if he is truly 100%.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Why is it when ever I have 1 single game marked on the calender, that something always has to happen to mess it up?

I think we might be waiting for their other 2 games this month, Orr probably shouldn't fight tonight. Balls.
Orr/McLaren - Dec.10th
Gazdic - Dec.27th
Boulton - Jan.2nd
Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Hopefully Orr is in, and wanting to redeem himself after his fight with Engelland.

Feed her !! Feed her !!! Swallow it biitch !!!
Old 10-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Super All-Star

Komaserik vs Boogard.

I can wish can't I?
Old 10-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Orr will conveniently sit this one out!
Old 10-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddYidd View Post
Orr will conveniently sit this one out!
Thinking the same.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Coach

Orr will be in the line up tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to swhite For This Useful Post:
NJDevils17 (10-15-2010)
Old 10-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Rangers' tough guy on alert

Quote:
GREENBURGH, N.Y. – Derek Boogaard isn’t one to think about who he might fight before a game begins.

But with three games against the fast-starting Maple Leafs in 16 days, beginning with tonight’s home opener, the Rangers’ new enforcer may well find himself dropping the gloves with ex-Ranger Colton Orr. Perhaps more than once.

"It’s another game day," Boogaard said after Thursday’s practice. "It’s a big part of my game, but it’s also a small part. If I just focused on fighting, I wouldn’t be here right now."

"It’ll be fun for us," Boyle said. "We’re in our building and it’ll be a physical game. We’ve just got to go out, don’t ask any questions and go hard. Prusty and Boogey, they know what they have to do

The issue is how much ice time Boogaard will get to do what he has to do after playing just four shifts over 1:34 in Monday’s 6-4 loss to the Islanders. Boyle logged 9:16 over 15 shifts while Prust, who had the Rangers’ first fight of the season as he battled Zenon Konopka, was on the ice for 6:41 over 10 shifts.

"That’s totally up to my coaches," said Boogaard, whose streak of games without a goal is up to 224 after being stoned by Rick DiPietro’s diving blocker save in the first period. "I have to make sure I’m ready for 60 minutes."
Ezekiel 25:17
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cat Smasher For This Useful Post:
5 4 Fighting (10-15-2010), BigBadWolf1171 (10-15-2010), bustoff (10-15-2010), HotSauce (10-15-2010), Killah_punk (10-15-2010)
Old 10-15-2010, 01:46 PM
All-Star

I think that tonight could be intersting on a number of levels, as Colton now has something to prove now that the "Heavyweight Champ" was dropped, and hard. And I would think that the pressure would be on Boogs to perform in his role, as that is what they paid him to do. He has been lackluster in his bouts over that last few years, and hasn't really dished out any of the KOs that made him (in)famous in the first place. Could be a great tilt, or could be an epic dud....

Also, is Dion Poof ever going to do anything to Avery for his "sloppy seconds" comment? I don't know if Dion is still hittin' that Cuthbert chick, but I would think that some action is required on his part.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Super All-Star

Orr will dress tonight...but the odds are NOT skewed in his favor after that tuneup bout with Engelland did not go according to plan.......it would make more sense to wait the two weeks when he sees Boogy again on home ice & is closer to 100%.....that would be the smart play.

Orr can`t afford to take another shot like that from the Big Viking.....if he does,it could be a career changer.....and no way is he 100% after taking that shot from Engelland whom had everything behind that punch.

if Boogy is able to force his hand with a couple of big hits & Orr feels obligated...i`d tip my hat to hm as the "ultimate warrior"....hands down.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSauce View Post
Orr will dress tonight...but the odds are NOT skewed in his favor after that tuneup bout with Engelland did not go according to plan.......it would make more sense to wait the two weeks when he sees Boogy again on home ice & is closer to 100%.....that would be the smart play.

Orr can`t afford to take another shot like that from the Big Viking.....if he does,it could be a career changer.....and no way is he 100% after taking that shot from Engelland whom had everything behind that punch.

if Boogy is able to force his hand with a couple of big hits & Orr feels obligated...i`d tip my hat to hm as the "ultimate warrior"....hands down.

Knowing the Rangers penchant for emasculating there fighters look for Boogaard to get K'od tonight.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Why is Mrs. Boyle in the papers saying it will be fun, What a Joke. I hope Orr Bitch slaps this punk open hand.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:05 PM
All-Star

4-0 bitches.
The Following User Says Thank You to Perrott26 For This Useful Post:
leafs_fan77 (10-16-2010)
Closed Thread

Tags
new york rangers, toronto maple leafs