Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Game Day

Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Pittsburgh at Philadelphia 1/19/13

Saturday, January 19th @ 3pm on NBC.

It'll be the opening games for both teams, and the first time these two play eachother since that insane and unusual playoff series last season. One of the most exciting, and definitely weird series I have ever seen. So what do we expect going into Saturday? Will anything carry over? Do you expect any fights? Will Crosby and Giroux get after eachother?

I think it'll be an exciting game, hopefully with a little bit more goaltending this time. The game is a huge question mark, as us fans have not had the slightest preview to the teams this season due to a tiny mini-camp and 0 preseason games. The teams have a good chance of coming out a bit rusty. Either way, I think we'll see a few scraps. Guys wanna get back into it, and some may still wanna settle some things from last year.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we'll see a Crosby/Giroux rematch.
cookie monster (01-18-2013)
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Y B FLYERS View Post
Saturday, January 19th @ 3pm on NBC.

It'll be the opening games for both teams, and the first time these two play eachother since that insane and unusual playoff series last season. One of the most exciting, and definitely weird series I have ever seen. So what do we expect going into Saturday? Will anything carry over? Do you expect any fights? Will Crosby and Giroux get after eachother?

I think it'll be an exciting game, hopefully with a little bit more goaltending this time. The game is a huge question mark, as us fans have not had the slightest preview to the teams this season due to a tiny mini-camp and 0 preseason games. The teams have a good chance of coming out a bit rusty. Either way, I think we'll see a few scraps. Guys wanna get back into it, and some may still wanna settle some things from last year.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we'll see a Crosby/Giroux rematch.
I don't think we'll see a Crosby/Giroux rematch.I'm more inclined to see someone from Philly going after Neal.Or maybe Simmonds taking on Engelland..Maybe a Glass/Rinaldo matchup..Then again looking in at the AHL forum.It's not like Rinaldo is lighting it up in the fighting department.

I also think that there's going to be a lot of sloppy play just because of the circumstances,and wouldn't be surprised to see a one sided affair either way.Which always brings out the worst and to our benefit from both teams.But I'm still going to stick by my prediction that we won't see much fighting in this shortened season....But with these two teams.We never know...
Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Super All-Star

I doubt we'll see any fights in this game that are carry over from last years playoffs. First off with the extended layoff since last years playoff I wouldn't expect the emotion to carry over. Also with the shortened season it puts that much more emphasis on each win so I'm sure both coaches will want their teams focused on winning and not fighting.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Hall of Famer

I dont see any of the crap from the end of the playoff series carrying over because its been so long. There are games the same season where teams play after a giant brawl and nothing happens, I expect this to be somewhat of an ugly game meaning rusty, but not dirty.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckendo83 View Post
I dont see any of the crap from the end of the playoff series carrying over because its been so long. There are games the same season where teams play after a giant brawl and nothing happens, I expect this to be somewhat of an ugly game meaning rusty, but not dirty.
Agreed.

You also have the no fight NHL that will send a memo to the refs for this game to just toss the first guy who looks at someone the wrong way. That's what they did in the playoffs and I can certainly see it happening a lot more in the regular season from now on because guys are getting afraid to get game misconducts because those lead to suspensions which lead to loss of pay and if we have all learned one good, god dam thing is that it's really all about the money or we wouldn't have had a lockout in the first place that will have shortened the season and made it that much more important to make the playoffs because of all the lost revenue from losing 34 regular season games.

Ok, I can breathe now.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Hall of Famer

It'll be intense as usual Pens/Flyers games are, but I doubt you'll see much activity until after a few games into the series between them. With a short camp and some new faces, teams are looking to start gelling, not getting into fights. I don't think there's a chance in hell Crosby and Giroux fight. Maybe get yappy with each other since they both like to run their mouths, but they're both on a mission this season. Sid's been out for most of two years...he just wants to play.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Tython For This Useful Post:
cookie monster (01-18-2013), HardHitt3n (01-16-2013), Phila26Flyers (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't expect to see any carry over from the playoffs. We will probably get one fight maybe Glass vs Rinaldo/Simmonds. I think overall fighting will continue it's trend of declining in the NHL. I don't anticipate much fighting this season as teams will be too worried about picking up all the points they can get.
RIP Derek Boogarrd
RIP Rick Rypien
RIP Wade Belak
Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Veteran

I could see a physical game, but I don't there will be any fights. If any, I expect Deryk Engelland and Zac Rinaldo to fight.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Nothing will happen, other than the Pens getting run out of the building. Fukking soft ass team.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm begging for a fight, maybe D-Eazy vs Shelley if Shelley plays.
With the way Glass is playing in the Pens scrimmage, I could see him fight Rinaldo maybe.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11351...809?banner=pwa
The Following User Says Thank You to bupz91 For This Useful Post:
thekidd21 (01-17-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyboi View Post
I could see a physical game, but I don't there will be any fights. If any, I expect Deryk Engelland and Zac Rinaldo to fight.
Rinaldo would run away from that fight every time. Not a realistic matchup. Glass-Rinaldo, maybe.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Hopefully Simmonds goes after Neal. Doubt Neal will fight him, but other than that, I don't see much happening.
You and Me, Even after everything
You're the Queen and I'm the King
Nothing else means anything.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Hall of Famer

I see Geno and Neal dictating the game, since Geno is the most in game-shape player from playing in the KHL. Neal just has to find the open areas and use his quick release. But then again this game falls on the I let in a soft goal Fleury and Headcase Bryzy.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Maybe Glass fights Hartnell or something.

Games Attended 2012-2013: 12
Fights Seen 2012-2013: 12
Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Hartnell vs somebody off the opening draw then Vokoun races off the bench as a 3rd man in
You don't cheapshot one of my players like that, it doesn't make any sense. Fight a guy straight up, whoever wins, wins, but at the end of the day respect yourself for being a fair player and a fair fighter.
The Sheriff