Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Game Day

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Few things about this game. Not sure who stole the point, Roloson or the Leafs.

-Schenn is awesome, super impressive
-Roloson played like a vezina goalie, stole the game
-Lebda is an idiot for even going near Roloson in overtime, let-alone touching him.
-Giguere is sloppy, gotta cover that corner retard, how long you been playing?
-Beauchemin can't pass, screened his own goalie, and might have deflected the shot on the game winning goal.
-Good job for Tavares winning it in front of his home crowd
-Versteeg needs to finish his chances dude, you can't miss the net on a god damn break away.
-Kessel is awesome, thank you Boston.
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Smasher View Post
Few things about this game. Not sure who stole the point, Roloson or the Leafs.

-Schenn is awesome, super impressive
-Roloson played like a vezina goalie, stole the game
-Lebda is an idiot for even going near Roloson in overtime, let-alone touching him.
-Giguere is sloppy, gotta cover that corner retard, how long you been playing?
-Beauchemin can't pass, screened his own goalie, and might have deflected the shot on the game winning goal.
-Good job for Tavares winning it in front of his home crowd
-Versteeg needs to finish his chances dude, you can't miss the net on a god damn break away.
-Kessel is awesome, thank you Boston.
Um,you played against a cellar dweller team tonight and still lost!See ya soon
Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Coach

John ta-var-es!

Jon Sim almost gave the game away by turning the puck over on the play that lead to the power play. Roloson was incredible, the Islanders played pretty well, their d blows.
"It's huge when guys are sticking up for each other," Rechlicz said. "It's more of a team bonding thing. I think it's great, and that's the style we've got to play. Guys come together, and it's like your family out there ... That's what it's all about. If you mess with one of our guys, you're going to mess with five of them. That's just the way it's going to go."
The Following User Says Thank You to nyislesfan45 For This Useful Post:
cashman rules (10-18-2010)
Old 10-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
Last I checked, that cellar dweller team is in first place (just had to point that out since it's probably the last time I'll be able to say that for a LONG time).
Old 10-18-2010, 10:26 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4life View Post
Last I checked, that cellar dweller team is in first place (just had to point that out since it's probably the last time I'll be able to say that for a LONG time).
Hey, who knows, maybe the Islanders will be last year's Avalanche.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Well at least we are still 1st for one more day, enjoy it while ya can.

Hockey is a superstitious sport as you can get, and winning 4 straight, even with Gunnarson's poor play, you don't mess with that. Dressing Lebda was a very poor choice, and it really did have a hand in costing us the game.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4life View Post
I used last years stats for that comment,i think they got a nice young club with JT.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
Haha I actually can't wait to play you guys.

Re-kindle the Lucic/Komisarek rivalry.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Got that right,it will be a war
Old 10-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Well at least we are still 1st for one more day, enjoy it while ya can.

Hockey is a superstitious sport as you can get, and winning 4 straight, even with Gunnarson's poor play, you don't mess with that. Dressing Lebda was a very poor choice, and it really did have a hand in costing us the game.
Hockey is superstitious? You believe future events can be foretold by unrelated past events? I don't.

Dressing Lebda wasnt as bad as a choice as signing him was. Caught the second half of the game and it was nice to see Taveras come back from concussion and score the game winner in OT.

Remember the Hemsky incident!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtown View Post
Hockey is superstitious? I don't.
Well since you feel like following me around today (tsk tsk, you have been warned), let me educate you as usual.

”Who Knew?” #10: Hockey Superstitions!

Quote:
Max Talbot (Penguins Forward): Boxes/spars with goalie Marc-Andre Fleury as they wait to leave the dressing room and hit the ice.

Karl Alzner (Capitals Defenseman): In the past he made sure to tap his stick 88 times during the national anthem and trace the outline of the Canadian maple leaf in time with the music

Glenn Hall (HOF Goalie): Would vomit before every game as he believed he would lose if he didn’t.

Patrick Roy (HOF Goalie):Roy had a number of superstitions during his career. First, he would have long conversations with goal posts. Second, before each game he would carefully lay out each piece of his equipment on the floor of the locker room and dress himself in a specific order. Third, during intermissions he would both juggle a puck and bounce it off the ground. Fourth, he would not skate over any line on the ice, stepping over them instead. Finally, before each game he would skates to his blue line, crouch down and stares at his goal in an attempt to visualize the net shrinking.

Félix Potvin (Former NHL Goalie):: Before each game he made a cross out of tape and stuck it to his locker.

Wayne Gretzky (HOF Forward): The Great One had an extensive list of rituals and superstitions! First, Gretzky refused to get his hair cut on the road (he did once and the team lost). Second, he always put his equipment on in the following order : left shin pad, left sock, right shin pad, right sock, pants, left skate, right skate, shoulder pads, left elbow pad, right elbow pad, then the jersey, with the right side tucked into his pants. Third, his first shot during warm-up was always to the extreme right of the goal. Fourth, after warm-up he would return to the dressing room and proceed to drink a Diet Coke, a glass of ice water then a Gatorade…… followed by another Diet Coke. Fifth, he always put baby powder on the blade of his stick.

Chris Chelios (Defenseman): Had to be the last player to put his uniform on before a game.

Jocelyn Thibault (Goalie): Six and a half minutes before the game he would pour water over his head.

Bob Gainey (HOF Forward and current Canadiens GM): In between periods he had to have a 50/50 Coke and water drink.

John Tonelli (Former NHL Forward): Once while Tonelli was going through a scoring slump he was stopped by an equipment man before stepping on the ice. What did he do? He spat on the blade of Tonelli's stick and rubbed it in. Tonelli broke out of his slump that game.

Stéphane Quintal (Former NHL Defenseman): He wouldn’t speak to anyone after one thirty in the afternoon on gameday.

Ron Hextall (Former NHL Goalie and Current Assistant GM of the LA Kings): He would hit the posts and the crossbar with his stick at the beginning and ending of every period.

Joe Nieuwendyk (Former NHL Forward and Current Dallas Stars GM): He ate two pieces of toast and peanut butter before every game.

Sidney Crosby (Penguins Forward): What is it with the really great players and their laundry lists of superstitions? Here’s what Sid gets up to. First, he won’t call his mother on a game day because the last three times he did he got injured (busted teeth, dislocated shoulder and a broken foot). Second, once he has taped up his sticks before the game no one can touch them or make like they’re going to. If they do Sid will remove the tape and re-tape the stick. Third, if the team is travelling on the bus he will lift his feet and touch glass if they have to cross railroad tracks. Finally, if playing on the road he will only use tape supplied by the home team for his sticks.

Brendan Shanahan (Former NHL Forward): While in Detroit he would only wear the shoulder pads he wore while playing junior hockey. He also had a habit of listening to Madonna on game days

Pelle Lindbergh (Former NHL Goalie): Wore the same orange t-shirt under his equipment each game. If it started to fall apart he would have it sewn up, and it was never washed. Ever. In addition, the only thing he would drink during intermissions was a Swedish beverage called ‘Pripps'. Not only did it have to be that drink but he could also only drink it if it had exactly two ice cubes in it, if it was given to him by a specific trainer, and would only take it from the trainer with his right hand.

Kyle McLaren (Former NHL Defenseman): One game, as a practical joke, McLaren’s teammates switched his normal visor with a yellow tinted one. He didn’t notice the switch as he is color blind! Since he scored the winning goal that game he decided to keep the visor on after being told about it!

Bill Ranford (Former NHL Goalie):: Ranford would not allow a linesman to take the puck from him after a save until he had flipped it into the air and had it land on the backside of his catching glove.

Ray Ferraro (Former NHL Forward): Prior to a game where he scored two goals Ferraro had eaten chicken parm as a meal. For the next two years he reportedly ate nothing but chicken parm as his pre-game meal.

Ken Dryden (HOF Goalie): Dryden wouldn’t leave the net during warmup until he had made one last save. Teammate Larry Robinson figured this out and started making sure Dryden had an “easy one” if he was having problems making that last save (remember the Habs of the ‘70s were stacked with snipers!).

Daniél Briére (Flyers Forward): Briére rotates between three sticks. When he has a good game with a certain one he “rewards” it with a rest and uses a different one.

Bruce Gardiner (Former NHL Forward): In the midst of a slump during his rookie season, Gardiner was given the following advice by teammate Tom Chorske (paraphrasing here of course): “You’re treating your stick too well. You need to teach the wood to respect you by dunking it in the toilet.” He did. It worked.

Team Superstitions:

Detroit Red Wings: The octopi being thrown onto the ice superstition started during the 1952 Detroit playoff run. During the six-team NHL days, teams only needed to win eight games (two series) to win the cup. The eight legs on the octopus represented the eight straight wins Detroit took in 1952 at Olympia Stadium in Detroit to win the Cup.

Philadelphia Flyers: In the 1970’s the team believed that singer Kate Smith brought them luck as when she sang “God Bless America” before a game (whether it be live or on tape) the Flyers went 62-13-3.

New York Rangers: The 1950-51 Rangers were putting together a losing season until a restaurant owner made a liquid concoction for the team to drink. After drinking it, the Rags won 13 straight games. They still ended the season in 5th place though!

New York Islanders: The Isles are credited with beginning the playoff beard superstition during their Stanley Cup run in the 1980s when they won four Cups in four years (1980-1983).
THN’s Top 10 hockey superstitions.

Quote:
10. Tape two
As the most important instrument in all of hockeydom, the stick has been doctored and babied for decades. With the coming of composite sticks, the doctoring has slowed. But players still insist on taping their sticks in a specific manner.

9. The cookie toss
Glenn Hall is one of the NHL’s all-time greatest goalies; 502 consecutive games in an era before goalie masks were the norm, three Vezina Trophies, 407 wins. But Hall vomited before every game and believed he’d lose if didn’t.

8. The march
On every team, there’s an order to which players leave the dressing room for the ice; whether it’s the captain first, the starting goalie last or a veteran tapping each player with his stick, it happens the same way every game.

7. Gearing up
Every player has his own rhyme and reason for the seemingly random practice. Do it just so or start all over.

6. One final stop
The legendary Ken Dryden would never leave the net during warmup until he had made one final save. But playing for the powerhouse Canadiens in the 1970s meant that was not always easy. Larry Robinson picked up on it and took to making sure Dryden had an easy one to stop if the goalie was having problems. But Dryden figured Robinson out and began to work even harder to make that final save before Robinson lobbed an easy one his way.

5. OK, but it’ll cost you a buck
At the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics, Canada won men’s hockey gold for the first time since 1952. And at center ice was buried a Canadian one-dollar coin. Burying a ‘loonie’ at center ice for international competitions has since become a superstition, albeit one other countries are not overly enthralled with.

4. The tobacco toss
In no way are we advocating smoking – not that you could now in most arenas anyway – but there were few more masculine-looking superstitions than Stan Mikita tossing his cigarette over his left shoulder as he exited the tunnel for the ice at the old Chicago Stadium.

3. Conversing with iron
Goalies are weird. Period. And Patrick Roy is one of the weirdest in recent memory. He had a number of superstitions, including carrying on running conversations with every goalie’s best on-ice friends, the goal posts.

2. Grow baby, grow
It’s believed the Islanders began the playoff beard superstition during their Stanley Cup run in the 1980s. It worked, too. They won four Cups in four years, the last in 1983.

1. Don’t touch that
There’s only one trophy teams want. And to touch another en route to the Cup is anathema until (gasp!) this year. We’ll know soon if this superstition is proven false.
You're welcome.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Well since you feel like following me around today (tsk tsk, you have been warned), let me educate you as usual.

”Who Knew?” #10: Hockey Superstitions!

THN’s Top 10 hockey superstitions.

You're welcome.

Just because all these people had rituals doesnt make it logical or rational. For example whether or not Glen Hall puked before a game has no impact on whether or not he wins or loses the game. I guess you think it does. Sorry to burst your imaginary little bubble but future results DO NOT occur because of some totally unrelated past event.

If you want to believe in this stuff that's fine by me but I cannot say I'm surprised.

As far as following you around....ahhhhh, no. Dont fool yourself into thinking you have something of value to offer me.

Remember the Hemsky incident!!!

Last edited by Redtown; 10-20-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
As far as following you around....ahhhhh, no.
Ahhh yes, see your last 4 or 5 posts for proof, you have turned me into your boogie man, I should be flattered. Stop trying to get threads locked, you have been warned numerous times about trolling, flaming and doing this type of behavior.

Quote:
Just because all these people had rituals doesnt make it logical or rational. For example whether or not Glen Hall puked before a game has no impact on whether or not he wins or loses the game.
To them it and did, and that's all that counts. Who the hell do you think you are? They have/had traditions, beliefs and superstitions, for you to say they are wrong is disgusting. Get outta here.

As far as Tavares goes, you don't even know when he scored, who he scored on, or where he shot from, hell you don't even know what position he plays or what team he plays on without looking it up.

You may have the last word that you so desperately seek, good day.

Tags
new york islanders, toronto maple leafs