Old 03-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Owner

SPHL Hands Out Fayetteville Forfeiture Penalties

CHARLOTTE, NC – Following its review, the SPHL today announced disciplinary action resulting from Fayetteville’s forfeiture of Game #195, Fayetteville at Knoxville, played on March 27.

Fayetteville head coach Tommy Stewart has been suspended the first five (5) games of the 2010-2011 regular season under Rule 29, Supplementary Discipline.

In addition, the Fayetteville FireAntz organization has been fined an undisclosed amount for the incident.

“The five-game suspension and record fine assessed to the FireAntz organization shows that the forfeiture of a game is something that cannot happen under any circumstances,” stated Commissioner Jim Combs.
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Super All-Star

So they forfeit when they were down 9-4 in a game with 9 fights? I guess they were getting their asses kicked on more than the scoreboard.

EDIT: Just saw the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHZQpBGAjeo&feature...

Last edited by RedIce; 03-30-2010 at 06:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedIce For This Useful Post:
Mojo Pockets (03-31-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Content Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIce View Post
So they forfeit when they were down 9-4 in a game with 9 fights? I guess they were getting their asses kicked on more than the scoreboard.

EDIT: Just saw the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHZQp...layer_embedded
The forfeit came from the fact that they had about 3 players left on the bench after the ejections in the 2nd period, plus two more in the 3rd.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps05 View Post
The forfeit came from the fact that they had about 3 players left on the bench after the ejections in the 2nd period, plus two more in the 3rd.
That makes sense, but why would the fine be for Forfeiture? You can't play with only a handful of guys, so if the suspension was for the coaches lack of control over his team, why not say so?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Content Team

Quote:
That makes sense, but why would the fine be for Forfeiture? You can't play with only a handful of guys, so if the suspension was for the coaches lack of control over his team, why not say so?
Good question.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
All-Star

Quote:
I don't think Stewies "lack of control over his team" has much to do with the forefeiture. I think he was smart enough to just "lay down" since he had only one line left on the team. As you can see, The Knoxville Coach was suspended for his "lack of control over his team" as well. This was a mess for sure, the players from both teams have to be smarter than they showed. The playoffs were starting right after this game and BOTH TEAMS ACTED QUITE STUPID. Fayetteville got the worst end of in in my opinion. Whoever wins the first game takes the series and since Sich is gone for the ist game Knoxville wins the first two games and will play Huntsville in the 2nd round. Again guys the lack of control over the team was NOT the reason for the forefeiture here, it was simple the best option he had considering the game was way out of control.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antzfan For This Useful Post:
Mojo Pockets (03-31-2010), RedIce (03-31-2010)
Old 03-31-2010, 11:13 AM
All-Star

The additional suspension and fine was for the fact that they took the 3 penalties for delay of game on porpose, for the sole purpose of having the game called off. On three faceoffs in a row the Fayetteville player taking the faceoff dropped their gloves and stick and just stood there until the ref called the delay off game. Fayetteville made the choice to not have enough players to continue, and the league made the choice to punish them for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flynn For This Useful Post:
RedIce (03-31-2010)
Old 03-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Minor Leaguer

yup........flynn's got it right......

that's how i saw it saturday night.........they threw down their gloves and didnt even attempt to take a swing....

right before the second guy threw down his gloves, i saw one of the fayetteville guys who had gotten a game misconduct talk to the trainers on the bench through the glass separating the fans and bench...........i had a feeling that he was just telling them that the coach says to take a forfeit.......

needless to say, it was an interesting night of hockey.......
Old 04-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Super All-Star

More like an embarrassing night of hockey.

I guess there's a reason why some coaches and players are grinding away down in the deep deep minors.