Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 PM
News Junkie

Ice Flyers Re-Sign Steve Bergin

Pensacola, Fla. - The Pensacola Ice Flyers have announced the signing of defenseman Steve Bergin for the 2012-13 season on Thursday.

Bergin, a fundamentally sound defenseman, started his professional career in the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) late last season with the Pensacola Ice Flyers. With a gritty, tough work ethic, Steve added stability to the blue line during the teams run to the President's Cup finals. Playing only 17 games, Bergin scored one goal and recorded four assists.

"I'm extremely excited for the opportunity to return to Pensacola for my second season in the SPHL," Bergin stated. "In the 2011-12 season, we started something special and now with the additions that Coach Graham has brought in, I think we will be able to build off last year's momentum, and take the necessary steps towards winning the President's Cup. The Ice Flyers have some unfinished business to take care of this season," said Bergin.

Prior to joining the Ice Flyers last season, Bergin played Division I hockey for four years in the Atlantic Hockey Association (AHA) for the University of Connecticut. During Steve's senior year at UCONN, he played in 34 games and recorded three goals and seven assists.

"Steve is a steady defenseman, and sees the ice very well. His skating ability makes him a constant threat in any zone he plays in," Coach Gary Graham stated. "I'm looking forward to having Steve on the team this season and expect him to be a top defenseman in this league."
Advertisement

Tags
penascola ice flyers, steve bergin