Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > Life / Whatever / Misc > Other Sports > Football

Old 11-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Content Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churla22 View Post
I like to think my comprehension skills are fine, but I'm beginning to wonder about yours. Again, where in the account of "Victim 6" is Paterno mentioned? And if he isn't, please explain to me, again, the relevance in referencing it - indulge me.
The importance of the story of victim 6 is that it proves the school and the police knew what Sandusky was doing in 1998, meaning the higher ups, including city police and the county DA, covered it up.
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2011, 10:53 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr4 View Post
Two things stand out to me:
1. McQuery did not attempt to stop that child from being raped in the shower.
He might have been shocked and even though he wasn't a kid, he was old enough to do SOMETHING to help that 10 year old!
2. McQuery and Paterno told the school, not the police. They were aware of about the sickest crime that can be committed and they chose the reputation of the school over that child.

I have no sympathy for either of them. A real man would have done something, these two are at best self-centered, at worst culpable for that child's continued suffering.
I just want to say, their inaction for years of watching this confirmed child rapist walk around campus and run a youth program for young boys is hideous. They're complete disregard for finding this young boy is hideous.

I don't know if I'll actually come down on McQuery for inaction in the moment. I'd like to think that any of us, and I, would go over and beat the living **** out of Sandusky but I don't know. There's a certain shock and fear factor when you see somethign like that. I can see being frozen. I can see being paralyzed by confusion at seeing a powerful man, a man who is considered a family and professional friend and ally, doing something unspeakably wrong. I can see a human failing to take immediate action in that circumstance. But it is INHUMAN for McQuery to pass Sandusky in silence for YEARS after that going to and from campus, going to and from his job helping young boys, without doing anything. That is a disturbing sickness on the part of all who knew of what happened.
The Following User Says Thank You to Merlin401 For This Useful Post:
canuck2 (11-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phila26Flyers View Post
The importance of the story of victim 6 is that it proves the school and the police knew what Sandusky was doing in 1998, meaning the higher ups, including city police and the county DA, covered it up.
They told him not to take showers with boys anymore, that was more than the university did when they told Jerry not to buttf*ck boys on campus anymore!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Penn State class of 2005

My heart is broken

Joe Paterno is loved by us all, I am not here to say he didnt do enough to stop this sick monster from raping children, because he knows he didnt. I am not here to say whether or not joe knew about it other than the one instance of which remains unclear how much he actually knew, or if he knew it was going on and the severity of it.

I am here to say the board of trustees handled this matter in the way they thought would quickest get the media and publics attention away from penn state, that is the interest they had in mind, restoring order and not letting this go on another 5 weeks of the football season... by restoring order they did nothing to serve or benefit the victims, they simply stripped an 84 year old man of everything he had and kicked him to the side like a piece of garbage...

my metaphor is spoiled children, waiting for the opportunity to put their aging father in a nursing home in order to forget about him, they did not stand beside joe, they decided joe had to go - which was the right choice...but joe deserved better than that, regardless of the circumstances.

11PM on a wednesday night, on a phone call...

And before you go off on me about he doesnt deserve dignity, no one knows each other history etc , no one knows what trauma others have gone through. Be angry, but be angry at the right people. Joe is not a pervert or a criminal.

We'll find out what joe knew, but at the time what the public knows joe knew, isnt enough to demonize him and take away 60 years of GOOD WILL to the university and it's students.

Last edited by mckendo83; 11-10-2011 at 11:57 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mckendo83 For This Useful Post:
Baronking (11-10-2011), Phila26Flyers (11-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2011, 11:44 AM
News Junkie

It seems to be worse...

Quote:
In April, Pittsburgh radio host Mark Madden wrote a story revealing Penn State for much of the cover-up of Jerry Sandusky's alleged child rape that has been exposed in the past week. While it didn't raise many eyebrows back then, six months later it looks to be incredibly accurate.

On Thursday morning, just hours after legendary head coach Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier were fired by the school's board of trustees, Madden was asked on The Dennis and Callahan Show what he believes the next piece of news will be.

What he said was twice as shocking as anything that's been released thus far.

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."
Link

Last edited by chilly; 11-10-2011 at 12:08 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chilly For This Useful Post:
dodge8954 (11-10-2011), JKidd (11-10-2011), Merlin401 (11-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2011, 01:05 PM
All-Star

We know there was a cover-up, it's really just a matter finding out who knew what. I'd say a lot more heads will roll before it's all said and done... and is there really anyone who doubts the power Paterno and Penn State had over local government and police, please. Paterno didn't have a boss at Penn State, anyone who thinks he actually worked for the the AD is blind. I'm not saying he orchestrated a cover-up, but he damn sure stood by and let people "protect" the university. And who believes Sandusky "retired" at the age of 55, a year after the first reported abuse, all on his own.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:24 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckendo83 View Post
I am here to say the board of trustees handled this matter in the way they thought would quickest get the media and publics attention away from penn state, that is the interest they had in mind, restoring order and not letting this go on another 5 weeks of the football season
In other words, they did the same thing that Joe Paterno did in 2002. "Don't let this stain the university."
Old 11-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post
In other words, they did the same thing that Joe Paterno did in 2002. "Don't let this stain the university."
i dunno, i think what the board did was the right thing. the reason this has been covered up for years was b/c no one wanted to stain the reputation of Joe Paterno, b/c he is basically the University. they seem to finally be stating that Paterno's legacy isn't bigger than the school's future.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:38 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan 27 View Post
i dunno, i think what the board did was the right thing. the reason this has been covered up for years was b/c no one wanted to stain the reputation of Joe Paterno, b/c he is basically the University. they seem to finally be stating that Paterno's legacy isn't bigger than the school's future.
They did the right thing for the wrong reasons. Its all about money. They learned absolutely nothing new this week. Paterno's legacy became less than the school's future because Paterno's negative impact on school finances suddenly became too large.
The Following User Says Thank You to Merlin401 For This Useful Post:
Philly Fan 27 (11-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
There are two answers: He shouldn't be able to dictate what he wants to do here. Joe acted very poorly as I've outlined in his thread and deserves some culpability in victims continuing to be abused. He should suffer an indignity because of this and having his world stripped from him like this is a big indignity.

Of course that's not why he was fired. The Board of Trustees knew this Grand Jury report was coming and I'm sure they knew basically everything that it contained regarding Joe Paterno (the 1998 and 2002 and 2008 incidents specifically). And they made all their decisions based on MONEY for Penn State.

They hope that the report comes out, America is disgusted but somewhat satisfied that two big fish go down with Sandusky (the AD and VP). Then they hope that some earthquake or bombing occurs and Penn State gets pushed to the back pages a day or two after this breaks. They tell Spanier and Joe to shut up and not say a word and hopefully things will blow over for them (this part is actually confirmed by the way). They don't want to lose the school's #1 money maker, Paterno.

Unfortunately, its a boring news week and the story becomes story #1 in the media. All along they are doing cost-benefit analysis to having Joe stick around, every hour. At some point, the public outcry is going to be measured in damage to the Penn State brand, and the important benefactors to the school start to pressure the school to do something which outweighs all the money that Joe Paterno brings through the school. When that tipping point occurs, they fire Joe Paterno.

Don't think for a minute the Board of Trustees gives a rat's ass about the victims or the 'decent thing to do.' They knew everything but the public's reaction before this story broke. They waited to fire Paterno and the president until monetarily their hand was forced.
I agree with all that and I'm happy to see someone finally got their balls and fire him but what I was asking (wondering really) is what is it going to hurt to keep him on to the end of the year.

Remember the Hemsky incident!!!

Last edited by Redtown; 11-10-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtown View Post
I agree with all that and I'm happy to see someone finally got their balls and fire him but what I was asking (wondering really) is what is it going to hurt to keep him on to the end of the year.
Why not throw gasoline on a fire?

It will just intensify the media presence and prolong the story of wether Joe P. will be fired.
Although that has happened it's still a major story due to the coverup.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:57 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtown View Post
Money. They probably got pressure from the big donors to the school that said unless you clean house and clean this mess up, you lose us and our donations forever (or sensed that this would happen). Bad Publicity = less money. They needed to fix that problem ASAP.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Right i dont think they did anything particularly special or amazing
Old 11-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Hall of Famer

I was hoping myself that they would let him finish out the year and now even the players will feel like he got screwed we got screwed, Unfort he will become the Sammy Sosa of College Football, Whether he knew or didn't at this point does not matter and it will suk because he will be remembered by this crap.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Does anyone know if this is something the ncaa would hand down punishment to the football program?

Remember the Hemsky incident!!!