Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > Life / Whatever / Misc > Other Sports > Football

Old 09-01-2012, 08:45 PM
All-Star

[quote=D Y B FLYERS;2507514]Quit being a toolbag.

You don't, and won't, get it. Paterno was an icon in Pennsylvania for more than half a century, and while he f*cked up, you're not going to get everyone, especially in PA, to think he's a POS because he didn't report something he may or may not have known the extent of.

It's a pretty big ****up every day of his life over those last 10 or so years to not do everything in his power to stop kids being raped on his watch.

The extent of what he knew grows each time information is released so to think he made a mistake is naive in my opinion when a normal person with a "duty of care" would have stopped this dispicable behaviour ANY way possible!
The Following User Says Thank You to trey383 For This Useful Post:
chilly (09-01-2012)
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Content Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey383 View Post
It's a pretty big ****up every day of his life over those last 10 or so years to not do everything in his power to stop kids being raped on his watch.

The extent of what he knew grows each time information is released so to think he made a mistake is naive in my opinion when a normal person with a "duty of care" would have stopped this dispicable behaviour ANY way possible!
What do you think of the image chilly posted? It looks to me like it was simply a gesture of love and respect toward his school's deceased former football coach. "Love You Joe" and his coaching record. Not unlike an Alabama fan may wear for Bear Bryant. Chilly obviously has a different, though extremely radical, opinion which led him to post this image calling the kid a dumbass. Just wondering if you see it the same way?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Hall of Famer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NickDoh For This Useful Post:
chilly (09-02-2012), D Y B FLYERS (09-02-2012), trey383 (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Unsurprisingly, it's two posters presumably from Pennsylvania sticking up for this fraud and fraudulent school.

Honestly, do you think these kids really care if Paterno funded a library on campus, funded the school...ect. I highly doubt it. I think it's more of an excuse to act like a brat and use Paterno as their martyr to act like a pretentious bitch.

I'd bet more than half of those kids are on scholarships or their mom and dad paid for them to go there, they aren't grateful for what Paterno did for the school....his demise just gives them an excuse to riot and protest and whine about being treated unfairly.

Nobody wants to see their propaganda for Paterno or the school, it'd be best for them to forget about that coward and just acknowledge he was a scumbag and move on......not to mention it's ridiculous that they're even allowed to play football.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phila26Flyers View Post
What do you think of the image chilly posted? It looks to me like it was simply a gesture of love and respect toward his school's deceased former football coach. "Love You Joe" and his coaching record. Not unlike an Alabama fan may wear for Bear Bryant. Chilly obviously has a different, though extremely radical, opinion which led him to post this image calling the kid a dumbass. Just wondering if you see it the same way?
To be honest mate,i think Paterno is a piece of **** and i wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire if he were alive today.

You two are hating on chilly saying his opinion is extremely radical yet you can't see how one eyed you both are.You can't have it both ways.

As for the shirt,i can appreciate their sentiment to a degree but I think the mans name has a stench about it now no matter what his coaching record (void?) says. He was involved in the cover up(possibly more) of the constant rape of young boys over a lengthy period.

How can he be put on a pedestal? If the man had any morals he would have put himself on a pedestal with a rope around his neck then stepped off!

Pity the fool wearing that shirt when they bump into a victim,or victims relative.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Content Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Garden View Post
Unsurprisingly, it's two posters presumably from Pennsylvania sticking up for this fraud and fraudulent school.

Honestly, do you think these kids really care if Paterno funded a library on campus, funded the school...ect. I highly doubt it. I think it's more of an excuse to act like a brat and use Paterno as their martyr to act like a pretentious bitch.

I'd bet more than half of those kids are on scholarships or their mom and dad paid for them to go there, they aren't grateful for what Paterno did for the school....his demise just gives them an excuse to riot and protest and whine about being treated unfairly.

Nobody wants to see their propaganda for Paterno or the school, it'd be best for them to forget about that coward and just acknowledge he was a scumbag and move on......not to mention it's ridiculous that they're even allowed to play football.
The last line in this mess is all you had to say. Your opinion obviously all routes back to your hatred of Penn State and and your belief their season should have been axed. Really, all the sanctions handed down are going to hurt the program much worse for a lot longer. In fact, I'm surprised you're not gloating about how you're going to enjoy watching PSU football suffer slowly with losing seasons and bad teams.

Despite what you might believe, I'm not that big of a Penn State fan. I have no affiliation with the university. I'm a West Philly kid whose parents went to St. Joseph's University and I went to Arizona State. I like PSU football because they are considered a "local" team. I like Temple football just as much, as well as Temple and St. Joe's basketball. So I'm not a "blind loyalist" (you guys LOVE that term) who thinks nothing is wrong.

You couldn't be more wrong about why students and alumni loved Joe Paterno. They DO care that he invested his heart and soul in the university as a whole. They DO care about the library. Trust me, I know many, many students there and have relationships with people there that go back long before this scandal came to light. It's not just an excuse to riot like you say. All these statements you made proves you can't form an opinion without reaching for brash conclusions. Seriously, other than your opinion that the football season should have been axed (which I respect), your post is wrong wrong wrong.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Content Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey383 View Post
To be honest mate,i think Paterno is a piece of **** and i wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire if he were alive today.

You two are hating on chilly saying his opinion is extremely radical yet you can't see how one eyed you both are.You can't have it both ways.

As for the shirt,i can appreciate their sentiment to a degree but I think the mans name has a stench about it now no matter what his coaching record (void?) says. He was involved in the cover up(possibly more) of the constant rape of young boys over a lengthy period.

How can he be put on a pedestal? If the man had any morals he would have put himself on a pedestal with a rope around his neck then stepped off!

Pity the fool wearing that shirt when they bump into a victim,or victims relative.
Gotta jet, but I have read your post and will edit this post with a response later man.

It's not that Chilly hates PSU that's radical. That's been done a million times already and is the stance he chose to take and stands by it. What's dumb beyond comprehension is that he bumped a thread that died a month ago just to spit some misplaced hate about a student wearing a t-shirt dedicated to JoePa's coaching career. The dude wasn't wearing a Che Guevera-style shirt with JoePa's face and "PATERNO IS INNOCENT" in big, bold, navy letters.

I don't think DYB FLYERS and I are as one-eyed as you think. We are very well aware what the issues are. Just because we're not sharpening our swords over everything Penn State doesn't mean we think all is well. It's not. However -- if DYB doesn't mind me speaking for him here -- I think we're both ready to move on from everything that has transpired over the last nine months. Definitely him moreso than me because he is the alumni; I'm just a casual fan.

What's most ridiculous is the incensed hatred with which Chilly goes about his daily routine on here. Whether it's Tim Tebow, hockey rumors, vbookie, or PSU, chilly always has a stick up his ass and doesn't realize that no one wants to read his bullsh*t. There was no reason to bump this thread the way he did. If he wanted to post some new information, great. I'm no saint when it comes to forum rules but I don't bump threads with nonsense with the sole purpose of baiting other posters into arguments.

Last edited by Phila26Flyers; 09-02-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:20 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
The last line in this mess is all you had to say. Your opinion obviously all routes back to your hatred of Penn State and and your belief their season should have been axed. Really, all the sanctions handed down are going to hurt the program much worse for a lot longer. In fact, I'm surprised you're not gloating about how you're going to enjoy watching PSU football suffer slowly with losing seasons and bad teams.

Despite what you might believe, I'm not that big of a Penn State fan. I have no affiliation with the university. I'm a West Philly kid whose parents went to St. Joseph's University and I went to Arizona State. I like PSU football because they are considered a "local" team. I like Temple football just as much, as well as Temple and St. Joe's basketball. So I'm not a "blind loyalist" (you guys LOVE that term) who thinks nothing is wrong.

You couldn't be more wrong about why students and alumni loved Joe Paterno. They DO care that he invested his heart and soul in the university as a whole. They DO care about the library. Trust me, I know many, many students there and have relationships with people there that go back long before this scandal came to light. It's not just an excuse to riot like you say. All these statements you made proves you can't form an opinion without reaching for brash conclusions. Seriously, other than your opinion that the football season should have been axed (which I respect), your post is wrong wrong wrong.
Sanctions my ass, I could care less if they suck. They still get football to which they will use as their rally cry. There IS still ridiculous people down in yahoo valley that believe Paterno's fate was unjust.

Perhaps you're right about the sheep...I mean students down there. Maybe they really do take all the money Paterno put into the school...to the point where it has essentially bought him Carte blanche where he can do no wrong.

It just pisses me off to no end how they still put up this protest, as if the world owes them something...and as if nothing criminal went on on with Joe. The only ones that don't want to move on are the clowns that go there. Stop trying to spin his life in a positive light, accept that your leader was nothing more than a deviant that put football before everything and literally bought the students undivided loyalty.

Stop trying to celebrate this piece of ****, the only loyalty the sheep have to him is the money he put into the school...at the expense of others livelihood.

He was not a good person...the people down at Penn State are in denial about this simple fact.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:10 AM
Content Team

Quote:
Sanctions my ass, I could care less if they suck. They still get football to which they will use as their rally cry. There IS still ridiculous people down in yahoo valley that believe Paterno's fate was unjust.

Perhaps you're right about the sheep...I mean students down there. Maybe they really do take all the money Paterno put into the school...to the point where it has essentially bought him Carte blanche where he can do no wrong.

It just pisses me off to no end how they still put up this protest, as if the world owes them something...and as if nothing criminal went on on with Joe. The only ones that don't want to move on are the clowns that go there. Stop trying to spin his life in a positive light, accept that your leader was nothing more than a deviant that put football before everything and literally bought the students undivided loyalty.

Stop trying to celebrate this piece of ****, the only loyalty the sheep have to him is the money he put into the school...at the expense of others livelihood.

He was not a good person...the people down at Penn State are in denial about this simple fact.
Clearly you made up your mind about the man a long time ago, so I'm not going to debate any of your points with you. That's your personal opinion. I choose to accept that while Paterno's legacy is tainted, no one can take away the amount of good he DID do for the university.

I do think you're blowing one thing out of proportion though, and that's this belief you have that Penn State students think they're being victimized and protesting everything. That couldn't be further from the truth as far as I can tell. I really don't know where you get that from. The university has been slandered and cut very deep by the heinous actions of the men at the top. Most of the country hates Penn State now, whether justifiably or not. The students are rallying around each other and their football team, saying "our school has entered a dark age, but we're going to stand strong and remain proud." What's wrong with having pride? Should the students be ashamed of themselves that their school leaders failed them? It was a very emotional day in State College and everyone from the top down handled himself very well. There were no incidents that I've heard of, so please cite for me one example of these "protests" you speak of. There was no more excitement at Beaver Stadium today than there was in Eugene, Oregon or Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:26 AM
Content Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDoh View Post
Nick, what do you think of #22?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:55 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Clearly you made up your mind about the man a long time ago, so I'm not going to debate any of your points with you. That's your personal opinion. I choose to accept that while Paterno's legacy is tainted, no one can take away the amount of good he DID do for the university.

I do think you're blowing one thing out of proportion though, and that's this belief you have that Penn State students think they're being victimized and protesting everything. That couldn't be further from the truth as far as I can tell. I really don't know where you get that from. The university has been slandered and cut very deep by the heinous actions of the men at the top. Most of the country hates Penn State now, whether justifiably or not. The students are rallying around each other and their football team, saying "our school has entered a dark age, but we're going to stand strong and remain proud." What's wrong with having pride? Should the students be ashamed of themselves that their school leaders failed them? It was a very emotional day in State College and everyone from the top down handled himself very well. There were no incidents that I've heard of, so please cite for me one example of these "protests" you speak of. There was no more excitement at Beaver Stadium today than there was in Eugene, Oregon or Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
IMO the amount of "good" he DID, falls well short of what he DIDN'T do. And now in a way he has actually caused more harm than good. He may have propped up that school for years, however he has had a major part in tearing the school down.

If the students didn't feel they were being "victimized" then why did they riot? Or huddle around their saviors house? And this constant propaganda like the shirt above, to basically stick it to those who have criticized that school.They have rallied in this "us against the world" view. Move on and stop trying to pump up Paterno....he's dead his legacy is ruined. Try to start a new and stop trying to justify Paterno's status.

School pride is a problem when it clouds rational thinking. As far as I know no other schools used today as a pedestal to promote a scumbag. If you want to root for the team your lucky to have today....go ahead. I just reject the people that flaunt t-shirts that fawn to a catalyst of some heinous crimes.

Another example is it seemed the majority of students were outraged with the lenient NCAA sanctions. Really? Your school just had the biggest scandal in SPORTS HISTORY and you're going to bitch and moan over lost scholarships? Shut up, nobody wants to hear it.

By simply just wearing that t-shirts it signifies that they still don't get it down in Yahoo Valley. The very man that you're representing is the one that failed you and many others.

Last edited by Boston Garden; 09-02-2012 at 01:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boston Garden For This Useful Post:
trey383 (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 02:17 AM
Content Team

Quote:
IMO the amount of "good" he DID, falls well short of what he DIDN'T do. And now in a way he has actually caused more harm than good. He may have propped up that school for years, however he has had a major part in tearing the school down.

If the students didn't feel they were being "victimized" then why did they riot? Or huddle around their saviors house? And this constant propaganda like the shirt above, to basically stick it to those who have criticized that school.They have rallied in this "us against the world" view. Move on and stop trying to pump up Paterno....he's dead his legacy is ruined. Try to start a new and stop trying to justify Paterno's status.
Constant propaganda? Dude, that shirt was bound to be printed since PSU won the national championship in 1982. It has nothing to do with trying to "pump up" anyone. It's an ode to the greatest football coach the school has ever had. An Alabama fan could have worn the same shirt in 1983 with the words, "LOVE YOU BEAR 323-85-17." That's all it is. You guys are reading way too much into it.

The students rallied at Joe Paterno's house last November as a show of support for the man who had given their school so much for over 50 years. It was before most of the facts had come out. The most we knew at that time was Paterno was made aware by Mike McQueary that McQueary saw something in the shower in 1998. There was no knowledge of a cover-up or anything else yet. It was simply a show of support. You can't spin that in any other way, just like you can't call the "riots" that followed Paterno's firing anything other than disgraceful.

Quote:
School pride is a problem when it clouds rational thinking. As far as I know no other schools used today as a pedestal to promote a scumbag. If you want to root for the team your lucky to have today....go ahead. I just reject the people that flaunt t-shirts that fawn to a catalyst of some heinous crimes.
No one used today's game to promote JoePa. There were no big pregame celebrations in Paterno's honor; the closest they came was another moment of silence for the victims. The students have accepted Bill O'Brien as their new head coach and are ready to move on. In fact, there has been overwhelming support for O'Brien by the fans. Here is a great article detailing many of the happenings around Beaver Stadium this week and yesterday. I really, really suggest you read it. But warning: there is a paragraph regarding a cardboard cutout of Paterno in the student campsite that might make you sick. I think this shows, beyond a doubt, that the vast MAJORITY of students have moved on and support the victims, the NCAA, and their school. There is NO "clouded rational thinking" here, sorry dude.

Last edited by Phila26Flyers; 09-02-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:21 AM
Hall of Famer

Oh my! I mean how can you not sympathize with the students I mean listen to these sanctions!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqabcLZDU-0&feature...

Wahhh no bowl games, we don't deserve this, It's so unfair!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTwk-2fKT7o

I don't know anybody couldn't get behind and support these dopes.

Now they rally around the guy that left them crippled by the unfair sanctions.....makes sense.

Yet, you guys wonder why everyone hates Ped State.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:23 AM
Content Team

Quote:
I don't know anybody couldn't get behind and support these dopes.

Now they rally around the guy that left them crippled by the unfair sanctions.....makes sense.

And you guys wonder why everyone hates Ped State.
Two videos that capture spontaneous emotions... Overwhelmingly incriminating evidence!

Read the article I posted. Things have changed, brotha. Y'all can keep hating if you want, but you're yelling into empty space at this point.

Last edited by Phila26Flyers; 09-02-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:37 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Constant propaganda? Dude, that shirt was bound to be printed since PSU won the national championship in 1982. It has nothing to do with trying to "pump up" anyone. It's an ode to the greatest football coach the school has ever had. An Alabama fan could have worn the same shirt in 1983 with the words, "LOVE YOU BEAR 323-85-17." That's all it is. You guys are reading way too much into it.

The students rallied at Joe Paterno's house last November as a show of support for the man who had given their school so much for over 50 years. It was before most of the facts had come out. The most we knew at that time was Paterno was made aware by Mike McQueary that McQueary saw something in the shower in 1998. There was no knowledge of a cover-up or anything else yet. It was simply a show of support. You can't spin that in any other way, just like you can't call the "riots" that followed Paterno's firing anything other than disgraceful.

No one used today's game to promote JoePa. There were no big pregame celebrations in Paterno's honor; the closest they came was another moment of silence for the victims. The students have accepted Bill O'Brien as their new head coach and are ready to move on. In fact, there has been overwhelming support for O'Brien by the fans. Here is a great article detailing many of the happenings around Beaver Stadium this week and yesterday. I really, really suggest you read it. But warning: there is a paragraph regarding a cardboard cutout of Paterno in the student campsite that might make you sick. I think this shows, beyond a doubt, that the vast MAJORITY of students have moved on and support the victims, the NCAA, and their school. There is NO "clouded rational thinking" here, sorry dude.
Sounds like many fans still hold Paterno in high regard, so while perhaps a few are looking to turn the page it still seems like some really feel Joe was done wrong.

Joe got off easy, he died while the rabid morons were worshiping him. Sorry, we're not going to see eye to eye on this. Joe and Penn State got off easy and all the scumbags are already well past the prime of their lives. The students are then arrogant enough to feel that that they got screwed.

I'm amazed people still try and defend Paterno and the entitled brats that go there.