Old 06-25-2012, 12:57 PM
News Junkie

Tulsa Signs Matthew Register

TULSA, OK - The Tulsa Oilers announced today the signing of Matthew Register for the 2012-13 season.

Register, a 6'2" 205-pound defenseman, is entering his second season of professional hockey. Last year Register played in 22 games for the Allen Americans including two contests against Tulsa. The 22-year old finished his rookie campaign with one goal, three assists, and a +4 rating.

"Having faced the Oilers last year, I knew they were a gritty, hard-working team," said Register. "I think the way Coach Ramsay runs things is going to be a better fit for me and I know he's going to help me become a better hockey player."

Before beginning his pro career, Register spent four seasons in the junior ranks with the Bonnyville Pontiacs of the AJHL (Alberta Junior Hockey League). The Calgary, Alberta native had his most productive season in 2009-10 when he recorded 61 points in 58 games and was selected to the AJHL North Division All-Star Team.

"Matt is a young, up-and-coming defenseman with tremendous upside," said Oilers Head Coach Bruce Ramsay. "When we played against him last year I saw a lot of positive things in his game. I expect him to provide some offense for us and to be very solid in our zone."

"It's always great to be in a new place and I'm excited for a fresh start in Tulsa," Register said. "I'm going to try to be a leader and help this team win in every situation."
Advertisement

Tags
matthew register, tulsa oilers