Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Content Team

Mississippi signs Tyler Sheldrake

SOUTHAVEN, MS --- The Mississippi RiverKings of the Central Hockey League (CHL) today (July 8th, 2010) announced the signing of defenseman Tyler Sheldrake for the 2010-2011 season.

The Dunnville, Ontario native comes to the RiverKings after playing his rookie CHL year last season for the Corpus Christi IceRays. In Texas, Sheldrake assisted on one goal in 19 games before being sidelined for the season by an injury. While on the ice, Tyler also provided a physical presence, earning 61 penalty minutes with the IceRays.

RiverKings Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations Kevin "Killer" Kaminski notes, "The reports on Tyler are that this is a character kid who takes pride in his own zone first. He brings a physical presence and plays with his heart."

Prior to playing in the CHL, the six-one, 225 pound Sheldrake played junior hockey in the Ontario Provincial Junior Hockey League (OPJHL). Tyler also appeared in two seasons with teams in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL).

In his one season in the OPJHL, Sheldrake was third on the Peterborough Stars' roster with 123 PIMS, while scoring two goals for eight points in 37 contests during the 2005-06 season.

Sheldrake played nine games of the 2007-08 campaign with the Peterborough Petes in the OHL, netting no points and 20 penalty minutes, before joining the Sudbury Wolves, where he scored once for nine points and 82 penalty minutes in 52 games in 2007-08. The 82 PIMS ranked fourth on the Wolves' roster.

The next year, he returned to score once for seven points with 119 PIMS in 2008-09, which led the team in penalty minutes. Sheldrake added two PIMS in six playoff games for the Wolves.

Kaminski says he's looking forward to seeing what Sheldrake can provide. "Tyler brings a great work ethic and comes to work with a smile on his face and a desire to play."

The newest RiverKing says he's definitely excited to be a part of the organization. "I've heard nothing but good stuff about the team, coach Kaminski, and I'm looking forward to it a lot," says Shedrake. "I'll definitely provide a physical presence; I'm not afraid to get a little dirty and stick up for my teammates and make them feel comfortable with what they do."
lovelost (07-08-2010), OneilltheGiant (07-09-2010)
Advertisement

Tags
mississippi riverkings, tyler sheldrake