Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Who is the best fighter? > hockeyfights.com Season Awards

View Poll Results: Best Rookie Fighter
Kyle Clifford 59 20.77%
Deryk Engelland 156 54.93%
Micheal Haley 39 13.73%
Matt Martin 0 0%
Adam McQuaid 21 7.39%
Kevin Westgarth 9 3.17%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowdownSJ408 View Post
if cliff didnt get knocked around the end of the season the voting would be diff. but yes i also do feel your east coast bias voting often as well.

hope cliff stays tough and exciting but plays better defense in fighting
How would it be different? Clifford may have had a good year but Engelland knocked out most people's pre-season pick for fighter of the year and then proved it wasnt a fluke many times over. Some guys come into the league and everyone stands up and notices... even non-fight fans, ie Boogaard in 05-06. Engelland had a similar impact this year, and even if Clifford had a perfect season his only real highlight other than beating some marginal middleweights was a good draw with Thornton. Thats not even close to what Engelland accomplished, I think you need to re-examine yourself for this "bias" you want to project on other people.
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLaRose View Post
How would it be different? Clifford may have had a good year but Engelland knocked out most people's pre-season pick for fighter of the year and then proved it wasnt a fluke many times over. Some guys come into the league and everyone stands up and notices... even non-fight fans, ie Boogaard in 05-06. Engelland had a similar impact this year, and even if Clifford had a perfect season his only real highlight other than beating some marginal middleweights was a good draw with Thornton. Thats not even close to what Engelland accomplished, I think you need to re-examine yourself for this "bias" you want to project on other people.
Hey ding dong I voted for D.E. its guys like you who flip out and are so homer its not even funny who are starting to give Pens a bad rep. Slow your roll holy chitt calm down.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowdownSJ408 View Post
Hey ding dong I voted for D.E. its guys like you who flip out and are so homer its not even funny who are starting to give Pens a bad rep. Slow your roll holy chitt calm down.
Yes being logical is being a homer. Thats why I did it.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Hall of Famer

To call a fan a homer is ridiculous. A fan should be a homer. A homer fan is much better than a negatard fan any day.

Amerks - 6 Calder Cups

Ice Flyers -2 President's Cups
Old 07-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Hall of Famer

My vote for 10-11 Rookie of the Year goes to Kevin Westgarth.

Out of his 18 fights this season he only had 2 clear defeats, John Scott and Chris Neil. His 2nd fight with Scott was pretty even then after that, he went undefeated the rest of the season finishing his last 10 fights strong. Drew and/or edged out the likes of Parros, Shelley, King, Koci, Janssen and Engelland. Has the most potential to be a Top10 fighter in the coming years.

"Back Then If You Lost The Fight, There Was A Good Chance You Were Buying The Round Of Beers That Night." - Don Cherry

Last edited by brawls16; 07-12-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNystromOwnsU View Post
To call a fan a homer is ridiculous. A fan should be a homer. A homer fan is much better than a negatard fan any day.
I don't even care about being called a homer, if I was just homer voting I would have voted for the Pens in every category but I think its more important to be impartial and logical in these sort of things. It just boggles my mind when someone uses logic such as "Yeah so-and-so had the best year in this category but I didn't vote for him".. it kind of defeats the purpose of casting a vote.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLaRose View Post
I don't even care about being called a homer, if I was just homer voting I would have voted for the Pens in every category but I think its more important to be impartial and logical in these sort of things. It just boggles my mind when someone uses logic such as "Yeah so-and-so had the best year in this category but I didn't vote for him".. it kind of defeats the purpose of casting a vote.
I didn't vote for my team in every category, but I do know why some might. I don't really care anyways. I have never taken polls seriously, sure won't start here.

Amerks - 6 Calder Cups

Ice Flyers -2 President's Cups
Old 07-12-2011, 04:49 PM
All-Star

That's a decent crop of new guys.

I'd have to go with Engelland. Not so much because of the first Orr fight, but the second. He managed to beat a mad Orr, who got dropped in the first fight. That was more suprising too me, then catching a free-swinging Orr who thinks he is going to run you over.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Hall of Famer

I vote for Engelland, he was clearly the leader of the pack (IMO)
Old 09-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Veteran

Derek Engelland had amazing rookie year. After paying his dues in the AHL and the small minor leagues for years. It's all well deserved.

But I found it funny the guy who praised him the most when he KOed Orr. Was the same guy who gave him one of his few losses. His good buddy Paul Bissonnette. The irony of it all.