Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Who is the best fighter? > hockeyfights.com Season Awards
passengers

View Poll Results: Most Exciting Fighter
Cam Janssen 57 12.58%
Brian McGrattan 26 5.74%
Colton Orr 141 31.13%
Rick Rypien 210 46.36%
Zenon Konopka 19 4.19%
Voters: 453. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2010, 05:07 PM
General Manager

2009-10 Kimble Award: Most Exciting Fighter

Nominees

Cam Janssen - St. Louis Blues: The feeling I get watching Cam Janssen is like what I used to feel watching Darren Langdon. Some might find it a boring style but the mastery of endurance and technical ability is incredibly impressive. The sheer length of fights by Janssen gives him a large punch count, even if it doesn't seem as high-octane as some other fighters. He had great fights this year against Rick Rypien, Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond, Arron Asham, Krys Barch, Tanner Glass, and Matt Carkner with the first two being two of the top candidates for fight of the year.

Brian McGrattan - Calgary Flames: McGrattan's long journey back to an NHL starter ended with an excellent year in Calgary in which he fought often and well. McGrattan is up for two fights of the year (vs. Steve MacIntyre and David Koci in tremendous battles of super heavyweights complete with monstrous punches landed). He added some great fights to his resume against Colton Orr, Darcy Hordichuk and Eric Godard.

Colton Orr - Toronto Maple Leafs: Colton Orr defends his "Most Exciting Fighter" award from last year with another excellent year in his new sweater. His wide open fighting style led to some impressive knockouts (most noteably of Matt Carkner) while he also suffered a few TKO's of his own (to Jody Shelley and Carkner). Add to that some great fights with David Koci, Brian McGrattan and Steve MacIntyre and Colton is a worthy candidate for a repeat award.

Rick Rypien - Vancouver Canucks: I've been waiting for Rick Rypien to win this award for three years now (check previous year's threads for this award as proof), but he couldn't stay healthy. He finally put together a healthy season and the results were spectacular. Nominated twice for fight of the year (vs. Cam Janssen and Brandon Prust), Rypien had 7 fights this year rated 7.0 or higher by hockeyfights.com. His three fight series vs. Brandon Prust nearly single-handedly earned Prust a nomination for this award! Watching Rypien is a study in fighting: the trained boxer is a fight fan's dream with quick, rapid punches, deft punch blocking ability and technical ability. If he can stay healthy he'll be a nominee for years to come.

Zenon Konopka - Tampa Bay Lightning: There is a little bit of a delay between my writing these and them getting published, and in the days after writing up a summary of the four nominees, I had this nagging feeling that Zenon belonged here. No, he doesn't get into many "fight of the year" type altercations (though his first fight of the year against Chris Thorburn was pretty damn good). No, he isn't going to knock anyone out save for a lucky punch. But the guy had 33 fighting majors, the most since Peter Worrell in 2001-02. The individual fight servings may not seem terribly impressive when viewed on videotape after the fact, but Zenon deserves a nomination for his body of work. He was a wild man all year, played on the edge, and the NHL is better and more exciting a league because of his presence.

My Pick

To me this one is easy: There's no one in the NHL I'd rather watch drop the gloves than Rick Rypien. And then there's no video clip I'd rather watch a half dozen times to see how the fight went than those by Rick Rypien. He is a stylistic and technical master at the same time. Enjoy it while his body isn't falling apart.

Previous Winners

2003-04: Darcy Hordichuk
2005-06: Brian McGrattan
2006-07: Derek Boogaard (stole it from Josh Gratton IMO)
2007-08: Riley Cote
2008-09: Colton Orr

Last edited by Merlin401; 04-22-2010 at 09:47 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merlin401 For This Useful Post:
Bloodbank (08-02-2010), GCBC00 (07-20-2010)
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2010, 12:44 AM
Hall of Famer

went with ryp, his speed is whats really fun. I really like the anticipation of Macgrattan before a fight though.

Last edited by ThrowdownSJ408; 07-15-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Hall of Famer

Little biased because McGrattan is my favorite fighter but tough to argue with his open style and as stated above the anticipation of his fights is great...no fake glove drops and his gloves have never been glued on...The best part is 9 out of 10 are when he and his oppents are on the ice the first time...Just flat out exciting...Orr is a close second followed by Godard..

I like and respect Rypiens ability but I like the SHW because of the power..
The Following User Says Thank You to rondo For This Useful Post:
pesadillamal (07-15-2010)
Old 07-15-2010, 05:08 AM
Hall of Famer

Colton and McGrattan are close. Heavies that fight open will always get my vote since any punch could be a KO. Orr gets my vote.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:09 AM
All-Star

For me, its Colton Orr. You never know whats gonna happen when he fights. Either he knocks out somebody or somebody knocks him out. His fightcard is very impressive, he had like 5-6 fights, where somebody gets dropped.

Rypien is close second.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Hall of Famer

This is a hard vote,Cam with his intensness, Gratts and his slugfest,Orr's KO's and you never know wtf is gonna happen, and Rypien being the king of underdogs with all that speed and boxing skill.Guess ill go with Orr, you just never know wtf is gonna happen or whos gonna get dropped.

Feed her !! Feed her !!! Swallow it biitch !!!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Hall of Famer

Orr for me was the most exciting fighter....

He's open every fight and carries KO power...
Old 07-15-2010, 01:18 PM
All-Star

Great bunch of fighters, but I love Cam and Rypien. You put those two on the same squad and I will buy season tickets, center ice, front row. Went with Rypien just for his sheer talent. He may not be dropping bombs, but he throws with an accuracy and skill that rivals most.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Man if only Rypien was a heavy, that would be devastating. He's super fun to watch, but it's all technical, which isn't really a bad thing.

I went with Orr with the repeat, kill or be killed, balls out, no defense, just tries to punch your head off, and sometimes gets put down in the process.
Ezekiel 25:17
Old 07-15-2010, 04:07 PM
All-Star

I went with Orr over Rypien because Orr's fights aren't just exciting because of his style, but also because of his power. Rypien is fast, technical, and fun to watch, but Orr likes to trade bombs with guys and there's always that possibility someone is getting knocked the f*ck out.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Super All-Star

i went with Orr over Rypien, because frankly I think Rypien is over-rated...
Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Coach

I'm always a fan of an electric, rapid-fire middleweight bout and Rick Rypien gave us a few of those to watch. I do like watching all of the guys on this list drop the gloves, but to me, I was rarely disappointed by a Rypien scrap in terms of pure entertainment value.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Orr for reasons as stated above..
Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Hall of Famer

My man Orr. Just youtube his fights to see why.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Went with Rypien, even though he is over rated IMO.