Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Who is the best fighter? > hockeyfights.com Season Awards
Lover

View Poll Results: Biggest Let-down
Eric Boulton (ATL) 60 6.55%
Zdeno Chara (BOS) 171 18.67%
Todd Fedoruk (ANA/PHI) 391 42.69%
Barret Jackman (STL) 27 2.95%
Georges Laraque (PHX/PIT) 183 19.98%
Chris Simon (NYI) 84 9.17%
Voters: 916. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 05:17 PM
General Manager

2006-07: Biggest Let-Down

Nominees

Eric Boulton
After getting squeezed with playing time, Boulton got ample time to reasssert himself as a legit heavy and had a miserable year or inactivity and unimpressive fights. In five fights he was tuned up by Colton Orr and Eric Godard, then couldn't even beat middleweights Nick Tarnasky and Jeremy Reich.

Zdeno Chara
Not long ago this guy was pushing double digit fight totals. Last year he humbled Raitis Ivanans. This year: zero fights. I know he's got that big contract but part of what made him successful was that added dimension to his game that is now missing.

Todd Fedoruk
The ultimate nightmare year. Zero wins in 11 fights (including Alexei Semenov and Tim Gleason), to go along with two brutal beatings at the hands of Derek Boogaard (broken face) and Colton Orr (knocked unconscious). Brian Burke saw he was broken goods the minute that plate was inserted to hold his cheek together back in November.

Barret Jackman
What happened to this guy? He used to be one of the best up-and-coming nasty defenseman and went soft on us with 2 fights, one of which was a crap fight with Eric Lindros. Maybe getting his face broken by Darcy Hordichuk last year made him swear of fighting.

Georges Laraque
He didn't lose, but after such a dominating 2006-07 we anxiously awaited to see how he would perform on his new team. After an uninspiring 8 fights, most are begrudgingly saying he is still the king. But there's a lot less of a glow to his crown than a year ago.

Chris Simon
After a huge comeback year in 2003-04 and a solid 2005-06 where he took on a tough fight card, Simon seemed to have abandoned his fighting game on the Island. He had only 5 fights, three against middleweights. He showed that he still has the ability to be a top fighter, dismantling several opponents including Todd Fedoruk, but seemed very inactive in the enfrocer role. Also, he nearly cost his team the playoffs with his cheapshot of Ryan Hollweg.

My Pick

Tough group to choose from. Fedoruk had the most pitiable year, but he went out punching. I felt Boulton was due for a breakout year with heavyweights finally moving into the SW division and he didn't step up. The lack of results from his five fights, makes me choose him.

Previous Winners

2003-04: Georges Laraque
2005-06: Wade Belak

Last edited by Merlin401; 04-13-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Hall of Famer

Fedoruk had a bad year that is the stuff of legend. I'm sure in 20 years we'll all look back and say, "dam!" He was horrible that year.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Hall of Famer

Have to go with Fedoruk. He was a legit heavy and lost every fight. Some not even close.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Hall of Famer

heres my write-in vote: brian mcgrattan
Old 04-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Coach

Chris Simon did not fill the role he was brought in for and for the most part only went with opponents who he clearly over-matched.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Clever admin title

Todd Fedoruk... he looked like Kelly Buchberger out there this past year. Poor guy...

I wanted to say Barret Jackman, just because the prick pretty much tanked me in the PIM league.
MN Wild Team Forum
RIP Bob "Probie" Probert - 7/5/2010
RIP Derek "Boogie Man" Boogaard - 5/13/2011
Old 04-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Hall of Famer

I love ya todd but it was hard watching you get killed in fights this year.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:25 PM
All-Star

Gotta go with a "homer pick", if that makes any sense in this case, and vote for Simon. Highlight: he managed to beat a wounded Fedoruk.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Too bad there wasnt an "all" catagory...all of those choices looked so good. I voted for Chara though, not once did he even attempt to fight...
Old 04-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Hall of Famer

I like Fedoruk but he was just a punching bag this year. Laraque a close second due to lack of activity.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Hall of Famer

I always enjoyed Chara's fights, and was very disappointed to not see any this year.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Hall of Famer

I voted for Laraque. I expected more out of the "champ". It seemed like he never wanted to fight. Not a great year from him, even though he still has the belt.

I don't view Fedoruk as a let-down really. It's not all his fault, in my opinion. He got his face broken after a KO from Boogaard, so of course he wasn't going to be the same. And then when you get KO'ed again, it's hard to return to your old form as a fighter. I feel sorry for the Fridge. He tried, it was just a rough year. How is he a "let-down"? He couldn't fight for a while after getting his face broken, but people on here kept ragging on him. Lay off. I bet none of you guys would fight more than 5 times for the rest of your life after getting your face broken by Boogaard.

"Boom, roasted."

Formerly Wes McSnipes
Old 04-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Hall of Famer

as much as it sucks to say this, i think most will think this is a no brainer
Old 04-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdog819 View Post
Too bad there wasnt an "all" catagory...all of those choices looked so good. I voted for Chara though, not once did he even attempt to fight...
i agree. I didnt find Chara or Boulton to be that much of a letdown because based on last season, I didnt expect much from them. Same can probably be said for Jackman, although I thought he'd be a little more active.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Hall of Famer

I voted for Jackman here and its a shame because he seemed to be picking up the rest of his game towards the end of the year. hopefully the physical part comes back next year because it was non exixtant this year.