Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > Minors, Juniors, College and International > AHL

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 02:49 PM
News Junkie

Rumor: Hockey Coming Back to Utica, NY for 2013-14

Quote:
No longer rumor, but fact - professional hockey will once again be on display in New York's Mohawk Valley. An American Hockey League affiliate will be in operation for the 2013-2014 season. The Calgary Flames of the National Hockey League's western conference will be developing their talent in the Utica Memorial Auditorium. Utica last had an AHL team during the 1992-'93 season , the final season of the New Jersey Devils six-season run at the Aud.

Here's what we do know, according to a reliable source. A 10-year deal has been struck with the Flames. There had been discussion in previous months that an AHL affiliate could be relocated to Utica, but not until the 2014-'15 season, due to scheduling issues. As far as any opt-out clause in the deal, I don't know for sure if or when one has been added. However, you would think an escape route, for both parties ( local operators and the Flames ) would/should want one. 10 years is infinity and beyond in any relationship.
Link
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Rumors flying first were of the Rangers farm team coming. But i guess the flames will do. I will take any AHL team back here. This city blows.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigsnapple7 For This Useful Post:
frankie515 (04-23-2013), MoonDogSpot69 (02-11-2014)
Old 02-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Rookie

this would be amazing. a division consisting of Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton, and Utica?

absolutely sick
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zak Warner For This Useful Post:
Bigsnapple7 (02-24-2013), theknuckler (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Content Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak Warner View Post
this would be amazing. a division consisting of Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton, and Utica?

absolutely sick
You could even stick Glens Falls in there, and just have an all-New York division.

Not sure the AHL would do that, but it's an option.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:53 AM
Hall of Famer

The aud in Utica is pretty good for viewing Hockey as it is all open and unobstructed views. The problem is the place is 50 years old and seats less than 4000 (3800 I think). Binghamton seats 4600 and they have a hard time making ends meet.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:06 AM
Hall of Famer

Saw a whole bunch of news flashes about this this afternoon. pretty awesome, last i saw was it wasn't 100% confirmed, but i guess its like 99.9 confirmed. "unidentified but reliable sources told the times-union.."(bonus points if you name the movie)......
Abbotsford is just way the f in the middle of nowhere in the league. Still, those southern teams are a ways away still. Does houston still bus around? I remember seeing their nice sleeper bus many moons ago

also heard vancouver wants a team near them so maybe abbotsford stays? or at least a team near there?

Last edited by theknuckler; 02-25-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:08 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawl lover View Post
The aud in Utica is pretty good for viewing Hockey as it is all open and unobstructed views. The problem is the place is 50 years old and seats less than 4000 (3800 I think). Binghamton seats 4600 and they have a hard time making ends meet.
apparently they'll be updating it with some new suites and the normal stuff you'd expect. I wonder how it'll be for tickets. Rochester has some of the best prices in all of sports, and their fans still complain! (i know it has a lot to do with the city being in a slump, but for hockey it's a good deal)
The Following User Says Thank You to theknuckler For This Useful Post:
Bigsnapple7 (02-26-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Super All-Star

I see Utica playing in the east and moving Syracuse to the west, since they are the farthest west than the other eastern teams.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne19 View Post
I see Utica playing in the east and moving Syracuse to the west, since they are the farthest west than the other eastern teams.
I believe Hershey is farther west than Syracuse. Not by much though.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:41 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne19 View Post
That would piss Tampa and Howard off ! I dont see it happening but you never know
Old 02-25-2013, 06:53 PM
Hall of Famer

They asked Abby if they were interested in moving & the answer was no. The taxpayers of Abbotsford are the ones who pick up the tab for the losses the team has had each season. They have a 10 year agreement with the city of Abby & the arena.

Last edited by GIANTSFAN; 04-22-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:02 PM
News Junkie

agreements don't mean **** anymore. the canucks can come right in there and make the city money instead of taking it from taxpayers.

now the question is who will they buy and move there cause the wolves aren't going to be sold to be moved.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Hall of Famer

Looking at the bottom 5 in league average attendance, who's a candidate to move?

Quote:
Albany 3,970
Abbotsford 3,773
Springfield 3,762
Binghamton 3,572
Oklahoma City 3,509
Chicago as a franchise is going nowhere, and I can't see Vancouver buying a franchise that draws better than 4,000 a night to take a chance on Abbotsford again. With Manitoba out of the league, why would any team put their affiliate all the way out there, with so many clubs concerned about their prospects' travel schedule.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak Warner View Post

absolutely sick
Like the good ole days...throw in S/W-B and Hershey too!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:11 PM
News Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thLineGoon View Post
Looking at the bottom 5 in league average attendance, who's a candidate to move?

Chicago as a franchise is going nowhere, and I can't see Vancouver buying a franchise that draws better than 4,000 a night to take a chance on Abbotsford again. With Manitoba out of the league, why would any team put their affiliate all the way out there, with so many clubs concerned about their prospects' travel schedule.
why would it matter what the team they would buy draws? if they put a team in abbotsford, the town would travel in droves like they do now when the wolves go and play there.
Closed Thread