Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > Life / Whatever / Misc > Entertainment > Video Games

Old 02-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Super All-Star

Xbox 720 to require an internet connection and eliminate used games

http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox...s?CID=obinsite

Bye bye Gamestop and EB Games.

This will be interesting. Apparently the PS4 has run tests and made it possible to eliminate used games from being played on the console, but havent decided if they will implement it or not.

I would think that if PS4 will allow used games, but XBox 720 doesnt allow them, it will seriously affect sales.
The Following User Says Thank You to The DZA For This Useful Post:
theknuckler (02-12-2013)
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DZA View Post
http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox...s?CID=obinsite

Bye bye Gamestop and EB Games.

This will be interesting. Apparently the PS4 has run tests and made it possible to eliminate used games from being played on the console, but havent decided if they will implement it or not.

I would think that if PS4 will allow used games, but XBox 720 doesnt allow them, it will seriously affect sales.
this.
I find it hard to believe anyone in their right mind would not allow used games. It would be a PR nightmare big time IMO. The Video Game market is f-in the biggest market out there. More than movies etc.. so why the **** do those greedy dicks want even more? **** them if that's the case
Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Only being able to use the game on one console and forced internet connection?!! Seems outrageous. This is a big turn off. Casual gamers buy games and trade them back...this is a terrible idea.

https://twitter.com/Sabres_Captain
The Following User Says Thank You to shaud19 For This Useful Post:
NickDoh (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DZA View Post
This will be interesting. Apparently the PS4 has run tests and made it possible to eliminate used games from being played on the console, but havent decided if they will implement it or not..

same rumor for the ps4

they're both going to do it. or not, it's not going to be one or the other.

**** 'em both if it happens.

Reach beyond the sun.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thruby For This Useful Post:
Bigsnapple7 (02-12-2013), The DZA (02-13-2013), trey383 (03-07-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Hall of Famer

The whole point of a console used to be local, offline play. Now having online play is a must these days obviously. But it shouldn't be required (hell, it took me years to even start using STeam on PC because of online requirement to play). Glad I got out of the blackhole of console costs when my PS3 died for good. Once backwards compatibility started going out the window in the generation 2's and slims I was "done until PS4". Years have gone by and I've been fine with my ****ty PC and more recently my old Sega. Had little interest in the next round of consoles already, this seals the deal on NO.

And I won't even touch the used games stuff. SIlly.

Last edited by NickDoh; 02-12-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Yes there are a lot of people who play games online but I bet there are far more who don't!

As for these rumors, thats all they are. Geeks just sitting home in the basement looking to stir the pot a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigsnapple7 For This Useful Post:
thruby (02-12-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrgoal View Post
As for these rumors, thats all they are. Geeks just sitting home in the basement looking to stir the pot a bit.
Possibly, but if there is no allowed use of used games these same geeks in basements will revolt and plan out some sort of way to boot games illegally.
The Following User Says Thank You to The DZA For This Useful Post:
Bigsnapple7 (03-07-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Haha, consoletards getting their just desserts! Get a PC guys. Join the enlightened.

But seriously, this is somewhat predictable. It's been a trend for a while now and until sales actually start to suffer, it will continue.

Brashear beat your favorite fighter. Undisputed top 5 all time.
The Following User Says Thank You to RetardedChimp For This Useful Post:
NickDoh (02-13-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Can I just whine about another random video game thing we accept as normal? (on both consoles and PC)...

The DLC. Awesome concept and sometimes worth the price. But it's gotten excessive. And games are made, then features taken out deliberately just to be released as a DLC a month later. Having scheduled DLC's when your game isn't even released yet is just shady. They used to make a game and finish it before they released it. Then you'd get free patches and maybe down the road a full expansion! Now a game like Borderlands 2 they're already developing the DLC's while making the game. If you've got it done just make it part of the game!

Jerks.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NickDoh For This Useful Post:
63Impala (05-24-2013), Phila26Flyers (02-28-2013), sheady (04-05-2013), spencerayres6 (04-08-2013), trey383 (03-07-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDoh View Post
Can I just whine about another random video game thing we accept as normal? (on both consoles and PC)...

The DLC. Awesome concept and sometimes worth the price. But it's gotten excessive. And games are made, then features taken out deliberately just to be released as a DLC a month later. Having scheduled DLC's when your game isn't even released yet is just shady. They used to make a game and finish it before they released it. Then you'd get free patches and maybe down the road a full expansion! Now a game like Borderlands 2 they're already developing the DLC's while making the game. If you've got it done just make it part of the game!

Jerks.
DLC today is awful. You are dead on about developers taking features out of their completed games just so they can milk a few more bucks by 'releasing' them later as DLC. Back when developers/producers weren't just in it for the money, if they offered any after market content they charged for, it was a full on expansion and more often than not was as big enough to be damn near an entire second game.

I believe this horrible DLC trend started with Bethesda's "Horse Armor"...Thousands of retards were spending $5 dollars for something that took 3 minutes to make and that you could get for free in a mod and the seed was planted...Bethesda has stated that people to this day still buy the horse armor DLC. Big game companies are going to kill this industry with their cut throat money first policies, and retarded fans who don't know any better will just continue to lap it up.

Anyways, thank god for Kickstarter.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Hall of Famer

EA Building Microtransactions Into All of Its Future Games

Saw this one slashdot...

EA Building Microtransactions Into All of Its Future Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Develop reports on comments from Blake Jorgensen, Electronic Arts' Chief Financial Officer, speaking at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference. As you may have guessed from the name of the conference, the business aspect of EA was the topic. Jorgensen said, 'The next and much bigger piece [of the business] is microtransactions within games. ... We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business.
http://www.develop-online.net/news/4...tions-in-house

Yes, I'm sure consumers love being nickel and dimed out the ass for something that should already be included since they bought the full price version of the game. Look what happened to Zynga. Hopefully EA will collapse sooner or later for being so short sighted once kids' moms stop giving them money to pay for this horseshit.

Fucking EA and Activision man, prime examples of the decline of video gaming when it becomes all about the money and less about the enjoyment of gaming. They wonder why people pirate games.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RetardedChimp For This Useful Post:
grits207 (02-28-2013), HordiBrusk29 (02-28-2013), Matt Doom (03-07-2013), NickDoh (02-28-2013), NJDevils17 (02-28-2013), Phila26Flyers (02-28-2013), thruby (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Hall of Famer

RC, If I'm interpreting this quote right "... consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business", it's saying gamers don't care about having to buy extra stuff? Seems like a extremely biased point of view. Nobody wants to buy a game that purposely lacking something.This thread is scaring me with all these money guzzling changes.

https://twitter.com/Sabres_Captain
The Following User Says Thank You to shaud19 For This Useful Post:
Phila26Flyers (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaud19 View Post
RC, If I'm interpreting this quote right "... consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business", it's saying gamers don't care about having to buy extra stuff? Seems like a extremely biased point of view. Nobody wants to buy a game that purposely lacking something.This thread is scaring me with all these money guzzling changes.
Everyone over 16 years old hates EA for their business model of shady corporate exploitation techniques, and EA knows it. They are being disingenuous and borderline retarded when they claim that people are enjoying and embracing that way of business. It WILL come tumbling down for them at some point, most likely after this generation of consoles (which is probably the last generation).

Luckily for people like me, kickstarter is looking to bring back some of the glory days.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RetardedChimp For This Useful Post:
NickDoh (02-28-2013), shaud19 (02-28-2013), thruby (02-28-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Ive been playing COD since they have come out and I would always buy the new maps when they came out. But it used to be like 1 DLC a year. THe last darn COD had like 3 or 4 DLC map packs!! You spend 60 dollars for a game and then every few months they come out with a DLC for 15 bucks and you end up having 120 bucks invested into a game that in the following Nov you know they are coming out with a new one!!

Pure SCAM
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigsnapple7 For This Useful Post:
moisty6969 (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Soooo happy to see the SimCity launch blow up in EA's face, not that it will have any effect on the way they operate in the future. Requiring an internet connection to play a game you bought is such horsesh*t.
The Following User Says Thank You to grits207 For This Useful Post:
NickDoh (03-07-2013)

Tags
consoletards, piratebayisyourfriend