#1 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2004, 06:27 PM
VodkaFish's Avatar
Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 18,193
Todd Bertuzzi and the Reaction

Todd Bertuzzi and the Reaction
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2004, 07:11 PM
paxtang's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minnesota, via Philly, via Harrisburg
Posts: 3,428
Great article Vodka, captured what a lot of people want to say about this issue.
__________________
Never mind
what's been selling,
it's what you're buying
and receiving
undefiled.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2004, 07:38 PM
The Harrington's Avatar
Minor Leaguer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by VodkaFish
Great article VF. Basically mirrirs what I have said to others, but far more eloquently.

We should send it every time we see one of the writers you refer to. The issue even made the editorial page where I live and hockey usually ranks about 82nd in sports coverage.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2004, 02:36 AM
Dark4Deception's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 52
Hey are their any articles in particular that this refered to. I haven't seen anything but do not doubt it's out there. Any suggestions of articles I can look at? I so agree though especially it's the most important thing until another story takes it's place then it'sforgotten...media....makes me ill
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2004, 02:58 AM
VodkaFish's Avatar
Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 18,193
There were many the last week. You can find a few of them linked in the Hockey Related Media forum.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2004, 03:02 AM
Dark4Deception's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by VodkaFish
There were many the last week. You can find a few of them linked in the Hockey Related Media forum.
Thank you..Do you personally think they would change the way hoclkey is played?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2004, 04:28 PM
lock-jaw's Avatar
Minor Leaguer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4
Bertuzzi, a criminal without a jumpsuit.

I have to say that I'm a fan of the way NHL players police themselves. Fighting is a necessary part of hockey. The general rule is that enforcers make sure that smaller, usually more scoring-minded players on their team don't get pushed around by larger players on the other team. Enforcers also use fighting to show their teammates that even though they may not get much ice time, they're doing their part to get an edge on their opponents. It sparks their team's drive to play better. Todd Bertuzzi is not an enforcer. Dropping his gloves on rare occaisons does not make him a hockey tough guy. Slashing, high-sticking, cross-checking, roughing, etc. Those are the penalties this "tough guy" prefers. Enforcers around the league should be pissed that he's being lumped in with them in the media and pissed that their task is now under scrutiny by people that don't understand the enforcer's role. Most enforcers face their opponents during a fight. Bertuzzi's just an oversized coward.

Todd Bertuzzi comitted a crime. Assualt.

If the player you challenge doesn't accept, you can talk trash him; you can put hard -maybe even cheap- checks on him; you can challenge the enforcer from his team; taunt his bench; push him around; etc., but you CANNOT pull their jersey towards you while throwing a haymaker from right field into his temple- FROM BEHIND!

This is assault. It's a crime.

If you get your nose broken in a fight that you dropped your gloves to be a part of, that's part of the game. If you get a concussion from getting checked into the boards, that's part of the game. If you get your face mangled by your visor, and your brain concussed and your neck gets broken because you've just been knocked out by a punch from behind and driven face-first into the ice, that's NOT part of the game.

Todd Bertuzzi- Crying and apologizing to the children does nothing to make this right. Here's the problem you're facing: you can't make it right. Telling Steve Moore that you never meant to hurt him is a bold-faced lie and in telling that lie you've succeeded in exposing to the world what some people have known about you for years. You are a d**k. Plain and simple. Your very occaisonal willingness to drop your gloves when face-to-face with your opponent is just reinforcement that you've always preferred the cheap shot over facing your enemy.

I personally hope you get attacked from behind in a prison shower.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2004, 04:33 PM
HordiBrusk29's Avatar
General Manager
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 39,026
I am so sick of hearing how this is a ****ing "crime". Give me a break. The fact that the police are even trying to get involved is a ****ing joke....
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2004, 05:17 PM
lock-jaw's Avatar
Minor Leaguer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4
HordiBrusk29-

First, it's pretty obvious that the guy's not going to jail. McSorley used a weapon and didn't go to jail.

Second, what do you call what he did? Lovetap? Bitchslap? An action that should be happening in hockey on a regular basis?

What happens when a player is enraged and does something to intentionally hurt another player because he knows all he has to do is cry in front of some cameras and apologize publicly and he can sit on his couch for the rest of the season. What if the Canucks weren't playoff contenders? Do you think suspension for the rest of the regular season would have been enough?

Fact: Violence is part of hockey. I love it and you love it or we wouldn't be typing messages via this website. If EXTREME, malicious acts like what Bertuzzi did don't get treated as crimes, then the fighting we all know and love will have to go away for hockey to be part of what the public will accept. These acts have to be separated from regular fighting in the public eye. You and I both know that Bettmen would just love to ban fighting.

Last edited by lock-jaw; 03-16-2004 at 05:21 PM. Reason: I want to make sure readers know I responding to HordiBrusk29
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2004, 05:22 PM
AvsFanatic's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by HordiBrusk29
I am so sick of hearing how this is a ****ing "crime". Give me a break. The fact that the police are even trying to get involved is a ****ing joke....
Would you still feel that way if Steve Moore was your son or brother. What Bertuzzi did was no different then if you were walking down the street and some drunk idiot wanted to start a fight with you. You in return ignore him and then without warning you are sucker punched in the side of the head and driven face down into the concrete. That would be assault. Just because it happened in the violent game of hockey doesn't mean that it's acceptable in anyway. It gave Hockey another black eye and has every media type scrutinizing the sport we all love. I agree with the suspension and if the Canadian criminal justice system finds that this was premeditated, then in my opinon he should pay the price. Maybe then it'll keep other players from bloodying the sport again.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2004, 07:12 PM
HordiBrusk29's Avatar
General Manager
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 39,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by lock-jaw
HordiBrusk29-

First, it's pretty obvious that the guy's not going to jail. McSorley used a weapon and didn't go to jail.

Second, what do you call what he did? Lovetap? Bitchslap? An action that should be happening in hockey on a regular basis?

What happens when a player is enraged and does something to intentionally hurt another player because he knows all he has to do is cry in front of some cameras and apologize publicly and he can sit on his couch for the rest of the season. What if the Canucks weren't playoff contenders? Do you think suspension for the rest of the regular season would have been enough?

Fact: Violence is part of hockey. I love it and you love it or we wouldn't be typing messages via this website. If EXTREME, malicious acts like what Bertuzzi did don't get treated as crimes, then the fighting we all know and love will have to go away for hockey to be part of what the public will accept. These acts have to be separated from regular fighting in the public eye. You and I both know that Bettmen would just love to ban fighting.
Regardless it is ridiculous. It is a hockey game for christ sakes. It is unfortunate, but the police getting involved is stupid. It happened during a GAME and it should stay within the league. PERIOD.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2004, 07:13 PM
HordiBrusk29's Avatar
General Manager
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 39,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanatic
Would you still feel that way if Steve Moore was your son or brother. What Bertuzzi did was no different then if you were walking down the street and some drunk idiot wanted to start a fight with you. You in return ignore him and then without warning you are sucker punched in the side of the head and driven face down into the concrete. That would be assault. Just because it happened in the violent game of hockey doesn't mean that it's acceptable in anyway. It gave Hockey another black eye and has every media type scrutinizing the sport we all love. I agree with the suspension and if the Canadian criminal justice system finds that this was premeditated, then in my opinon he should pay the price. Maybe then it'll keep other players from bloodying the sport again.
Yes I would feel the same. I am not talking out of my ass here just because I am not related to Steve Moore. No matter what some of you want to believe, incidents like this happen in hockey. It is all part of the consequences of playing the sport. I'm not saying it is good or right, but it happens. Moore knows that, and his family should be well aware of it.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-17-2004, 02:48 AM
Super All-Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by HordiBrusk29
Regardless it is ridiculous. It is a hockey game for christ sakes. It is unfortunate, but the police getting involved is stupid. It happened during a GAME and it should stay within the league. PERIOD.
Thats a good point, in spite of that, there has to be a limit to it, dont you agree?0 Say if someone got severely maimed for life, or actually died, do to intentional barbaric attacks. I believe there is a line that has to be drawn, where legal ramifications must be warranted.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-17-2004, 02:52 AM
HordiBrusk29's Avatar
General Manager
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 39,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless
Thats a good point, in spite of that, there has to be a limit to it, dont you agree?0 Say if someone got severely maimed for life, or actually died, do to intentional barbaric attacks. I believe there is a line that has to be drawn, where legal ramifications must be warranted.
Well yeah, obviously. If someone was killed, then I would understand. But in all seriousness, what happens on the ice, should stay there, and be dealt with by the league officials. The only exceptions (IMO) are if a player is involved with a fan, or two players get into it off the ice.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Flyer_Frank's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Philly
Posts: 2,719
If Campbell Had Done His Job Right The First Time . . .

There's no question the league has to step up and take some responsibility for all this. The Moore hit on Naslund was legal . . . . if Naslund had possession of the puck, which he didn't. The refs didn't see it that way, and that's fine. The game moves fast, but the league had plenty of time to review the tape. Moore certainly should have been suspended. Colin Campbell has not done a good job and should not be congratulated for handing down a suspension that may not have been needed if he'd done his job right the first time. As far as the media goes, who cares what they think? I certainly don't.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 AM.