Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Hall of Famer

I know you are all waiting for it, so I'll give it to you!

10) Jack Dempsey 62-6-9 51 KO's
Dempsey was a beast in his day. He can not be compared to the giants of today but in his time he was the best fighter out there. From 1919-1926 Dempsey went 38-1-1 and had 29 KO's, 19 in the first round. This in an era were the best only fought the best so you were bound to lose a few. Of course Dempsey had his tough out in Gene Tunney, but Tunney is one of the top HW's all time as well. Dempsey is a straight beast in his time.

9) Evander Holyfield 42-10-2 27KO's
Its a real shame Holyfield decided to continue to fight. Money needs does that. Its a shame he actually needs money with the amount he made over his career. Holyfield fought them all and beat msot of them. He was an undersize HW for his time period, but he has such will, heart and a iron chin. He would be relentless in the way he fought you and it paid off big time. 15 titlist faced. Thats an unreal number. He went to heavyweight in 1988 and had a run close to 15 years as one of the top dogs.

8) Lennox Lewis 42-2-1 32KO's
It should be noted that Lewis might be the last HW on this list from the modern era heading forward and thats upsetting. Lewis is a monster standing 6'5 230-245 lbs and using every bit of it. Lewis came after ther golden years of the HW division but that should not be held against him because he went after the best fighters he could beating a world class Holyfield. Lewis had a shaky chin, but it was not the worse. He was only dropped 2x and only staying down once. He did revenge Rahman and drop him the following fight. Lewis beat some very good fighters before opting to retire as the undisputed HW champion. After Lewis came mostly b class fighters with the exception of the Klitchkos.

7)Joe Fraizer 32-4-1 27 KO
We all know Joe and Ali became more than just athletes. They became some of the most recognized faces of America in their time period. Joe was the working mans fighter. He fought like it was life and death. A lot of people don't know Joe won the 64 gold in the olympics. He fought in an era where the fighters became bigger. Joe didn't he was about 5'11 and 205-215 of ripped muscle. Carried one of the best left hooks ever. Joe lost 4 fights, only to guys ranked ahead of him all time. 2x to Ali and Forman. That says something about how good he was.

6)Rocky Marciano 49-0 43KO's
Marciano was unbeaten in his run. He faced some all time greats as well. He beat Joe Louis, Jersey joe Walcott and another beast in Ezzard Charles. He beat Louis towards his end, but he beat him. The other two are all time greats, probably both in the top 20 HW's all time. They are huge victories for a man who was probably on 5'10 and 185 soaking wet. He dominated his time and beat whoever was infront of him. The crazy thing is Marciano never looked like he new what he was doing the ring. He was Roy Jones before Roy Jones.

1-5 coming tomorrow, just got tickets to the Flyers game. I am out...
bigjack (03-26-2013), flex_buff_chest (03-26-2013), FurnaceFace (03-27-2013)
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by flex_buff_chest View Post
To have Foreman ahead of tyson is just silly
In my opinion even an old George Foreman may have been able to beat Tyson. Style wise I think Tyson would've played much into Foreman's hands and George new this thats why he always wanted to fight Tyson so badly. As far accomplishments in the ring Foreman beat better fighters, has more knocks outs and was good for a lot longer time. I don't know how anyone would rank Tyson ahead of Foreman.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Hall of Famer

Perhaps the greatest one punch knockout ever. What a right that caves in Walcott's face. Marciano hits him with a left to finish things nice and clean:

The Famous Knockout: Marciano KO's Walcott -...

They can fill the net on this guy tonight!
Phil Esposito
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigjack For This Useful Post:
blockerpunch (03-28-2013), FurnaceFace (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by royjonesjr View Post
In my opinion even an old George Foreman may have been able to beat Tyson. Style wise I think Tyson would've played much into Foreman's hands and George new this thats why he always wanted to fight Tyson so badly. As far accomplishments in the ring Foreman beat better fighters, has more knocks outs and was good for a lot longer time. I don't know how anyone would rank Tyson ahead of Foreman.
No way Jose.

A prime Tyson runs through Foreman and breaks his face.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Pro

1.Ali
2. Holyfied
3 Tyson
4. Butterbean
5. Lewis
6. Holmes
7. Klitchko Bros
8. Frazier
9. Bowe
10. Shavers

Seriously though, Liston should be in top 5, he was Ali before Ali won by mafia.... Unstoppable.

Yep, this just happened.

Last edited by 63Impala; 03-27-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Clever admin title

10. Joe Frazier
When Philly tough is brought up, Joe Frazier is the first guy to come to mind. The barely 6' bruiser knew how to break down reaches and use a crushing left hook to completely destroy most. I'd like to place him higher, but 1-4 against the elite of the division of the time (Foreman and Ali) lend me to keeping him lower.

9. Jack Dempsey
A titan among men who really blew boxing up. Baseball had Babe Ruth, and boxing had Jack Dempsey. An animal in the ring with power that seen the mightiest of men fall under his bombs. His epic beatdown of Jess Willard, the war with Luis Firpo at the Fair Grounds, and if not for the epic long count would have Gene Tunney on here as a list of victims.

8. George Foreman
Big George goes down as one of the most feared, hardest punching men alive. His knock out percentage and body count of champs, challengers and greats is further testament to the power George possessed. With wins over Joe Frazier twice, Ken Norton, Ronnie Lyle, and Michael Moorer, Foreman gets the nod on the list.

7. Evander Holyfield
Real Deal will go down as not only one of the best cruiserweights, but one of the best HWs of all time. One of the most feared, relentless and nasty fighters to ever step through the ropes. If you hit Evander with a solid shot, you seen him bite down, and you knew hell was coming your way. His trilogy with Riddick Bowe is the stuff of legends, and the way he dismantled just about every champion from the late 90s to the 2000s easily puts Evander in this list.

6. Lennox Lewis
Took a couple losses by punches he didn't see, but then came back and knocked those two guys out. Along the way, he went from being one of the most off balance fighters to being one of the most destructive, carving out an opponent list that features every major champion of the late 90s and 2000s, and beating them all convincingly. He also got out of the game on his terms, without diluting his legacy.

5. Larry Holmes
The Easton Assassin had perhaps the best jab the game's ever seen. And when Holmes got things rolling, very few stood up to him and stood with him. He beat the piss out of an aged Ali, had a war with Ken Norton, dominated Trevor Berbick, destroyed Leon Spinks, Gerry Cooney, Leroy Jones, and Earnie Shavers. Amazing that he did all this after most wrote him off as nothing more than an Ali sparring partner.

4. Rocky Marciano
Undefeated champ, who is as tough as ever man to ever walk the planet. Took down legends in Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe and Joe Louis, and titlist Lee Savold. Fought well under the HW limit these days thanks to the cruiseweight division. Even when paired against guys 20lb heavier, and giving up at least 4 inches in reach, Rocky found a way to get inside, and completely decimate opponents with body shots, and a concussive right hand.

3. Jack Johnson
The first black HW champ, and the personification of never giving up. He experienced racial ignorance from the outset, and then proceeded to start his career with a slew of losses before honing his craft, and then finally getting a shot at the HW crown, and knocking out champ after champ from almost all weight classes. With Ali, one of the best defensive HW champs of all time. Given his fighting stance, and size, it allowed Jack to stop barrages well before they ever got close. When middleweights came up in weight to challenge him, most were swatted around before Jack dropped the hammer and dispatched them with single shots.

2. Joe Louis
The iconic brown bomber. Outside of Dempsey, perhaps the most important boxer to ever fight. A man with immense power, underrated speed, and amazing craft inside the ring. Louis is one of the few fighters to help transcend the sport of boxing along with Dempsey, Marciano and Ali. He took the sport over, and then passed it along to the next star of the sport to ensure it's passing. Along the way, many champs and challengers were slaughtered. Max Schmeling, Max Baer, Jim Braddock, Primo Carnera, Billy Conn, Jersey Joe Walcott and Less Savold to name a few. Louis met his maker when he ran into friend Rocky Marciano at the end of the line, where Rocky said he only took the fight to get a broke Louis some money. After a shaky start, Rock settled in and we all know the outcome - Louis sent sprawling out of the ring to the apron.

1. Muhammad Ali
The greatest HW of all time, and #2 P4P. Easily the fastest - foot and hand - HW to ever put on gloves, and an unbelievable ability to win the war before either combatant ever stepped between the ropes. His resume is gold plated with the monsters he faced, and beat. George Foreman, Joe Frazier, Ken Norton, Chuck Wepner, Ron Lyle, Floyd Patterson, Sonny Liston, George Chuvalo, Oscar Bonavena and many more great fighters. The epic, legendary trilogy of wars with Frazier, the Rumble in the Jungle, the iconic picture of him standing over Sonny Liston... there is no greater HW.
MN Wild Team Forum
RIP Bob "Probie" Probert - 7/5/2010
RIP Derek "Boogie Man" Boogaard - 5/13/2011
The Following User Says Thank You to JKidd For This Useful Post:
blockerpunch (03-28-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:14 PM
All-Star

I've never included Jack Dempsey or Jack Johnson in my top ten because I feel at the time they boxed the craft of boxing hadn't evolved to the level that it is at modern day or even during the 1950's on. From the footage I've seen of both guys I just couldn't see them being able to hold there own let alone win against the all time greats. Joe Louis, Marciano, Archie Moore, Jersey Joe Walcott, Ezzard Charles are the only heavyweights I've seen footage of from before the mid 1950's who's craft really impressed me. Now I know Jack Dempsey and Jack Johnson were greats of there time and its hard to compare different generation but I just don't see the same level of skill in either fighter when I watch footage of them compared to the generations after them.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Super All-Star

ok

Quote:
I know this thread has been made before but that was a while ago and its a topic I like to discuss...
Heres my top ten...

1# Muhammad Ali: Ali IMO has to be number 1, he had so many great fights and fought just about every good fighter of his era. During his first title reign he couldn't be touched by anyone after the over three years away from the ring when he came back he was still great but had to use his character, ring smarts and toughness a lot more to win many hard fights. Ali is the greatest...

2# Joe Louis: Hes pretty well the only fighter I'll include from before the 1960's. His title reign was incredible and his punching combinations were amongst the best I've seen in boxing. IMO he would've been able to be a champ in pretty well any era of boxing.

3# George Foreman: Foreman is his prime was very raw and would just go through guys with his brute force and aggression. His performances in KOing Joe Frazier in the 2nd round as well as Ken Norton were amongst the best display of power punching ever seen in boxing. But what truly brings Foreman this high on my list is what he did in coming back. Foreman's second career was amazing, he gave Evander Holyfield one hell of a fight in Holyfield's prime. He beat plenty of solid fighters on his way to KO'ing Michael Moorer and regaining his title at 46. Michael Moorer was a pretty damn good fighter as well so its not like he beat some bum.

4# Larry Holmes: Holmes didn't beat the best opposition in his 21 title defenses but in those defenses he showed great skills, toughness and determination. Some of the fighters he beat didn't have great careers but many of them on that given night where they got there chance at taking Holmes title showed up motivated and in great shape but still none of them could dethrone Holmes. He also had a pretty good comeback but was never able to regain the title.

5# Lennox Lewis: A lot of people don't rank Lewis this high but IMO he has to be. the heavyweights of the 90's are over looked by a lot of people but IMO that was one of the best generations for heavyweights. Lewis not only beat but destroyed many solid fighters. He beat every single fighter he ever fought including Evander Holyfield and Mike Tyson who were both a little over the hill especially Tyson but none the less he defeated both them convincingly and he also defeated Vitali Klitschko in a very tough fight. Lewis the the only fighter to get a clear cut victory over Klitschko even though it came on a cut it was one hell of a punch to open that cut over Klitschko's eye. Along with impressive early KO's of good fighters like Razor Ruddock and Golota and wins over good fighters like Tony Tucker, David Tua, Tommy Morrison, Frank Bruno, Ray Mercer and avenging his only two defeats in devastating fashion I have to rank Lewis the highest amongst any of the great heavyweights in the 90's.

6# Evander Holyfield: Holyfield was truly great, he fought tough opposition from the beginning of his career all the way into the later years. He had many of the greatest wars in heavyweight history and beat many great fighters. His wins over Tyson were legendary along with great victories over Riddick Bowe, Michael Dokes, Michael Moorer, Buster Douglas, George Foreman, Ray Mercer and Larry Holmes.

7# Joe Frazier: Frazier was probably the toughest fighter to ever live the guy just kept coming and coming. He destroyed many good fighters and won one of the greatest fights of all time against Ali, in that fight Frazier put on one of the greatest performance I can ever recall in a boxing ring. His only losses were to two of the greatest Ali and Foreman.

8# Mike Tyson: Tyson was awesome early in his career and still was a force later in his career but never had that defining performance against a great fighter. He still has to be given a lot of credit especially for the achievements early in his career when he was with Kevin Rooney he looked unstoppable and had a great reign as champ. Every boxing fan has to wonder what could've happened if Tyson never lost focus, will never know I just wish that fight with Holyfield would've happened when they both were at there best.

9# Sonny Liston: Liston was a destroyer in his prime, he'd walk right through solid fighter like they were nothing unlike any fighter ever has.

10# Riddick Bowe: I know most people wouldn't include Bowe in there top ten but I feel in his prime years he was one of the best. In the first fight with Holyfield he showed incredible courage and skills if that Bowe showed up every time he fought I don't know who would've been able to stop him. He also fought very well in his next two fights with Holyfield and had few other great performances throughout his career. But even in his last two big fights against Golota where his skills had left him and he was beaten badly he proved that unlike what many of critics would say, he was as tough as any fighter who ever stepped in that ring. Golota beat the hell out of him round after round and Bowe took it and kept on fighting. One of the rounds Golota landed over 70 punches and Bowe still with stood it and kept fighting back. Both fights Golota broke mentally and looked for a way out by getting dq because he couldn't believe that he couldn't put Bowe away. All that is why I consider Bowe the 10th best heavyweight of all time.

HM: Vitali Klitschko, Rocky Marciano.
So what your telling us is that a guy who never lost a fight...Ever... is not in the top ten of all time.....lol...Ok...Lennox doesn't belong on anyones list as he beat no one except over the hills Holyfield and Tyson and got destroyed by Klitschko until his eye was cut...and neither does Bowe for that matter Your missing a few key guys also-Jersey Joe, Gene Tunney.

Would love to put Ali on top except he got beat 5 times and badly and his record is also inflated with many a tin can and fights against lesser opponants that should have never ever lasted as long as they did, all though he did fight in one of boxings golden era. Now if you want to say he was the most skilled I will never argue that But i'll take Joe Louis anyday of the week over Ali.
There is a reason he can't speak anymore that is from being hit....alot....He was in some brutal battles (30 fights that lasted at least 10 rounds and 26 that went the distance-10-12-15) alot of long fights because he couldn't finish off his opponents as good as he was. He belongs at #3 in my humble opinion. With Rocky #1 and Joe #2
The Following User Says Thank You to Plateworker For This Useful Post:
blockerpunch (03-28-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Clever admin title

Not that I like making excuses or anything, but I think a lot of why we have Ali ahead of Louis may come down to simply exposure.

I've seen damn near every single Ali fight, at least 3 or 4 times now. His fights are almost all on the internet, and replayed on ESPN Classic.

Joe Louis, most people have seen the Schmeling saga (not just from movies), Marciano knocking him out, maybe seeing Joe beat Primo Carnera into submission with Primo hanging on the top rope and being huddled, and maybe a Jersey Joe fight here or there. Otherwise, the footage just simply isn't as readily available as Ali's, nor do we have too many historians or first hand accounts of Louis to sway opinions.

It's not to take away from either man, but, in my eyes, that could be a key element to this.
MN Wild Team Forum
RIP Bob "Probie" Probert - 7/5/2010
RIP Derek "Boogie Man" Boogaard - 5/13/2011
The Following User Says Thank You to JKidd For This Useful Post:
Plateworker (05-08-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Personally I agree with just about everyone else that Ali was the GOAT.

But I also believe that a prime Lennox Lewis goes in as a favorite against the prime version of anyone in the history of the division. 6'5" 250 lbs., 84" reach, pure power, great jab. Impossible/unfair to really compare guys from different eras though. Too many variables.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKidd View Post
10. Joe Frazier
When Philly tough is brought up, Joe Frazier is the first guy to come to mind. The barely 6' bruiser knew how to break down reaches and use a crushing left hook to completely destroy most. I'd like to place him higher, but 1-4 against the elite of the division of the time (Foreman and Ali) lend me to keeping him lower.

9. Jack Dempsey
A titan among men who really blew boxing up. Baseball had Babe Ruth, and boxing had Jack Dempsey. An animal in the ring with power that seen the mightiest of men fall under his bombs. His epic beatdown of Jess Willard, the war with Luis Firpo at the Fair Grounds, and if not for the epic long count would have Gene Tunney on here as a list of victims.

8. George Foreman
Big George goes down as one of the most feared, hardest punching men alive. His knock out percentage and body count of champs, challengers and greats is further testament to the power George possessed. With wins over Joe Frazier twice, Ken Norton, Ronnie Lyle, and Michael Moorer, Foreman gets the nod on the list.

7. Evander Holyfield
Real Deal will go down as not only one of the best cruiserweights, but one of the best HWs of all time. One of the most feared, relentless and nasty fighters to ever step through the ropes. If you hit Evander with a solid shot, you seen him bite down, and you knew hell was coming your way. His trilogy with Riddick Bowe is the stuff of legends, and the way he dismantled just about every champion from the late 90s to the 2000s easily puts Evander in this list.

6. Lennox Lewis
Took a couple losses by punches he didn't see, but then came back and knocked those two guys out. Along the way, he went from being one of the most off balance fighters to being one of the most destructive, carving out an opponent list that features every major champion of the late 90s and 2000s, and beating them all convincingly. He also got out of the game on his terms, without diluting his legacy.

5. Larry Holmes
The Easton Assassin had perhaps the best jab the game's ever seen. And when Holmes got things rolling, very few stood up to him and stood with him. He beat the piss out of an aged Ali, had a war with Ken Norton, dominated Trevor Berbick, destroyed Leon Spinks, Gerry Cooney, Leroy Jones, and Earnie Shavers. Amazing that he did all this after most wrote him off as nothing more than an Ali sparring partner.

4. Rocky Marciano
Undefeated champ, who is as tough as ever man to ever walk the planet. Took down legends in Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe and Joe Louis, and titlist Lee Savold. Fought well under the HW limit these days thanks to the cruiseweight division. Even when paired against guys 20lb heavier, and giving up at least 4 inches in reach, Rocky found a way to get inside, and completely decimate opponents with body shots, and a concussive right hand.

3. Jack Johnson
The first black HW champ, and the personification of never giving up. He experienced racial ignorance from the outset, and then proceeded to start his career with a slew of losses before honing his craft, and then finally getting a shot at the HW crown, and knocking out champ after champ from almost all weight classes. With Ali, one of the best defensive HW champs of all time. Given his fighting stance, and size, it allowed Jack to stop barrages well before they ever got close. When middleweights came up in weight to challenge him, most were swatted around before Jack dropped the hammer and dispatched them with single shots.

2. Joe Louis
The iconic brown bomber. Outside of Dempsey, perhaps the most important boxer to ever fight. A man with immense power, underrated speed, and amazing craft inside the ring. Louis is one of the few fighters to help transcend the sport of boxing along with Dempsey, Marciano and Ali. He took the sport over, and then passed it along to the next star of the sport to ensure it's passing. Along the way, many champs and challengers were slaughtered. Max Schmeling, Max Baer, Jim Braddock, Primo Carnera, Billy Conn, Jersey Joe Walcott and Less Savold to name a few. Louis met his maker when he ran into friend Rocky Marciano at the end of the line, where Rocky said he only took the fight to get a broke Louis some money. After a shaky start, Rock settled in and we all know the outcome - Louis sent sprawling out of the ring to the apron.

1. Muhammad Ali
The greatest HW of all time, and #2 P4P. Easily the fastest - foot and hand - HW to ever put on gloves, and an unbelievable ability to win the war before either combatant ever stepped between the ropes. His resume is gold plated with the monsters he faced, and beat. George Foreman, Joe Frazier, Ken Norton, Chuck Wepner, Ron Lyle, Floyd Patterson, Sonny Liston, George Chuvalo, Oscar Bonavena and many more great fighters. The epic, legendary trilogy of wars with Frazier, the Rumble in the Jungle, the iconic picture of him standing over Sonny Liston... there is no greater HW.
Excellent list!

I wouldn't call Wepner, Lyle, Chuvalo, Bonavena excellent fighters and that is where I agree with that writer that I posted yesterday.
Ali basically fought Liston, Frazier, and Foreman as great fighters.
The Liston fights were fixed and he lost to Smokin Joe once and lost to Norton who was a level below these guys!
I don't list Holmes only because Ali was an old man then!
Holmes was an excellent fighter!
So like Marciano and Louis, Ali's fight card is so so and all you can do is fight who is there when you are fighting!
Before Ali was suspended, who other than Liston was a great HW fighter that he fought? Patterson was a light heavyweight pumped up to be a HW and would of been destroyed by Marciano if they fought in their primes!

Bottomline is we are all right because noone will ever know what would have happened and styles make fights.

The only thing that I do know about Marciano is he was the best conditioned HW ever, he had unreal power, he had a great chin, he never lost, and he fought in the 180's because he chose to. His body frame could of handled 205 to 210 pounds if he chose to be heavier!
HW fights are usually boring alot of times because they do little punching like the little guys. Marciano was not like that and was always on the attack and would of made the other HW's fight that would of tired them out!

This is always a fun thread when done here!

Phil Esposito

Last edited by bigjack; 03-27-2013 at 04:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigjack For This Useful Post:
JKidd (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim13 View Post
Personally I agree with just about everyone else that Ali was the GOAT.

But I also believe that a prime Lennox Lewis goes in as a favorite against the prime version of anyone in the history of the division. 6'5" 250 lbs., 84" reach, pure power, great jab. Impossible/unfair to really compare guys from different eras though. Too many variables.
It's fun to do but you are right, we will never know!

Phil Esposito
The Following User Says Thank You to bigjack For This Useful Post:
tim13 (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Hall of Famer

BTW, Gene Tunney never gets his due. He had an excellent career and only lost one fight overall I think.
He was a very bright man and brought his brains into the ring and wasn't a slugger but a true boxer!
His SON was later a US Senator from California!

Phil Esposito
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigjack For This Useful Post:
Plateworker (05-08-2013), tim13 (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 05:00 PM
All-Star

Another thing about Marciano was that he might have had the greatest will to win out of any heavyweight of all time the guy never gave up and never stopped coming. Really my list from 9-12 can really go in any order. I just have trouble picturing Marciano even with his great will to win, punching power, chin and stamina being able to beat some of the bigger more skilled heavyweights. But as Bigjack said we all are right because none of us will ever know but its also nice to here other boxing fans opinions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to royjonesjr For This Useful Post:
bigjack (03-28-2013), Plateworker (03-27-2013), tim13 (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Another thing about Marciano was that he might have had the greatest will to win out of any heavyweight of all time the guy never gave up and never stopped coming. Really my list from 9-12 can really go in any order. I just have trouble picturing Marciano even with his great will to win, punching power, chin and stamina being able to beat some of the bigger more skilled heavyweights. But as Bigjack said we all are right because none of us will ever know but its also nice to here other boxing fans opinions.
You started a fun thread!

Phil Esposito