Old 05-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Veteran

I'll take the OG New Jack...
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbar75
Story goes that Kerry von Erich's prosthetic use was revealed in a match with Jerry Lawler in 1988. It was in Las Vegas for the AWA, and story has it that Lawler went to yank von Erich by the boot and the limb came off. I believe the boot was used from the knee down, as Kerry had his ankle pretty much crushed in that motorcycle wreck in 1986. He was out about 16 months. Probably training with the boot.
That is the story i read and believe.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Hall of Famer

No chit, Chris Adams was murdered ?
Old 05-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger
No chit, Chris Adams was murdered ?
From the Dallas Morning News in 2001...

Quote:
Pro wrestler slain long after glory days

Chris Adams always lived bigger than life, his days bright with promise, his nights black with promise unfilled.

His troubled days ended early Sunday, when police say a man described as Mr. Adams' best friend and former roommate shot the professional wrestler to death during a drunken brawl in Waxahachie.

At the time of his death, Mr. Adams, 46, was awaiting trial on manslaughter charges in the drug death of a girlfriend in 2000 and faced up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

He'd already served a term in federal prison for assaulting an airline pilot during a drunken rage. And he had seen his career plummet from the days when "Gentleman Chris Adams" was an honest-to-goodness wrestling star.

Waxahachie police said Mr. Adams was shot once with a .38-caliber handgun. Mr. Adams and wrestling promoter William B. Parnell had been drinking late Saturday at the home of Mr. Parnell's mother in the 200 block of Sendero Drive.

The two started "roughhousing" and wrestling, and the play got out of hand. Mr. Parnell told police he began to fear for his life, Sgt. Nathan Bickerstaff said.

"He reached over on the nightstand and got a gun and shot Mr. Adams," Sgt. Bickerstaff said.

Mr. Parnell then called police and told them about the shooting. He was waiting inside the house when they arrived.

He was charged with murder and is being held in lieu of $300,000 bail at the Waxahachie jail, police said. Mr. Parnell could not be reached for comment Monday.

Mr. Adams arrived in Dallas in 1983. Raised in Stratford, England, he was a national judo champion as a teenager. And he fast became a star in professional wrestling.

He joined the regional World Class Championship Wrestling circuit, using his British accent to create his ring persona, "Gentleman Chris Adams."

"He became a local superstar," said friend Jim Wehba, who wrestled under the name "Skandor Akbar." "When things got real hot around here, Chris was one of the main cogs. He had a lot of charisma."

"Between 1983 and 1986, he was one of the biggest stars in wrestling," said Dave Meltzer, editor of the Wrestling Observer publication.

"There were a lot of guys you watched then, and he was the one I always thought was going to be as big as anyone could be in wrestling," said Bill Mercer, the WCCW's television voice. "But I guess he was always in trouble."

Though untrained as a wrestler, Mr. Adams was gifted with dramatic flair and exceptional athletic skills. He quickly joined the Von Erichs, Dallas wrestling's royal family, in the flashy new WCCW television broadcasts.

"A lot of guys flooded in here to be part of the WCCW," said wrestling promoter Gary Hart, once Mr. Adams' manager. "He came and he became a sensation."

Actually, the whole WCCW production was something of a sensation, and its young stars pushed life to the edge. A staggering number wouldn't survive.

"It was an unbelievable period in wrestling," Mr. Meltzer said. "It was something wrestling had never seen before. They all had so much fame so early. They weren't equipped to handle it."

Four Von Erich brothers, whose family name is Adkisson, died young three committed suicide, and one died of an intestinal illness. Mr. Adams' former wrestling partner, Gino Hernandez, died of a drug overdose in 1986.

Frank "Bruiser Brody" Goodish was killed by another wrestler in Puerto Rico in 1988. "Ravishing" Rick Ruud died from a drug overdose in 1999. So did Buzz Sawyer. Scott "Super Destroyer" Irwin and Jeep Swenson died of cancer. Terry Gordy suffered a fatal heart attack in July 2001.

Mr. Adams survived, though alcohol haunted him.

"This was a problem he battled for the last 10 or 12 years," Mr. Hart said. "Sometimes he won; sometimes he lost."

Kevin Adkisson, the only surviving member of the Von Erich wrestling family, saw some of those problems first-hand.

Mr. Adkisson was on a flight with Mr. Adams in 1990, returning from a series of shows in the Caribbean, when their plane was grounded with mechanical problems. The airline provided an open bar. When the flight finally took off, the crew decided they wouldn't serve drinks. Mr. Adams objected.

"I was asleep in the back and a stewardess came up and said, 'Mr. Von Erich, can you help us?' " Mr. Adkisson recalled.

Mr. Adams had argued with a flight attendant. When one of the pilots intervened, Mr. Adams knocked him to the floor.

"I ran up and got him in a half nelson. I said, 'Chris, you know they're going to arrest you for this.' I told him we could switch shirts and try to walk out with the crowd. And he said, 'No, I'll go off as Chris Adams.' "

Mr. Adams was one of the toughest wrestlers Mr. Adkisson ever fought, he said.

"He could fight, he really could. And I'm talking Texas style," he said.

Mr. Adams opened a wrestling school The Gentleman Chris Adams School of Personalized Professional Wrestling Coaching and it flourished for a while. His most successful graduate: "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, now one of wrestling's biggest stars.

But Mr. Adams eventually lost the school. He started various wrestling ventures, which usually failed. Still wrestling himself, he received a contract with World Championship Wrestling in the late '90s. Eventually, though, he returned to Dallas, his career barely a flicker.

He battled alcohol and developed a drug problem. In April 2000, Mr. Parnell found Mr. Adams and girlfriend Linda Kaphengst of Dallas unconscious in an apartment after they overdosed on gamma hydroxybutyrate, or GHB. Ms. Kaphengst died 12 hours later.

He started drinking again, as heavily as ever.

Mr. Wehba said he worried for years about Mr. Adams' substance-abuse problems.

"I often wondered why Chris didn't get it treated," he said. "God rest his soul, it got worse and worse.

"I think Chris felt his life was in a hole and he couldn't climb out." Chris Adams always lived bigger than life, his days bright with promise, his nights black with promise unfilled.
Adams is also widely known as the wrestler who trained 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin...
Old 05-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Why on earth would two grown men be wrestling late at night in the bedroom!?!?!?!
Old 05-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Wombats
Why on earth would two grown men be wrestling late at night in the bedroom!?!?!?!
That's what I was thinking.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Coach

I'm reasonably sure that Von Erich was wrestling Col. DeBeers when his boot came off.

Since he's back on the road again, I'm going to pick Roddy Piper for the Dead Pool. He's seconds away from going back to the coke, alcohol, and steroids.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Hall of Famer

You guys don't have to point me out being a moron, but I am confused as hell. What are you guys doing/betting on? You guys just pick a wrestler from WWF/WWE or some other pro-wrestling organization and bet on the chances that they die or what?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkYourBeerPSU
You guys don't have to point me out being a moron, but I am confused as hell. What are you guys doing/betting on? You guys just pick a wrestler from WWF/WWE or some other pro-wrestling organization and bet on the chances that they die or what?
everyone picks a wrestler. if your wrestler dies first then you win. so theres no winner until someone dies
Old 05-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkYourBeerPSU
It all came about when ex wrestlers started dropping like flies.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Hall of Famer

So Close, But Yet So Far

Not sure if he's been picked or not but I think if someone wants him now, there should be odds.

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/2005...1115917110.php
Old 05-22-2005, 09:31 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Wombats
another question is why is a man in his 40's still living with his mother?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Coach

We have two new deaths to be reported...

Lord Al Hayes

Miguel Perez

Nobody picked either of these two, so we keep on going...
Old 07-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Coach

Those two don't count, as they lived long lives. I doubt either was drug-related.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:18 AM
Super All-Star

Nah, both guys were old timers. Perez was in his 80's, while His Lordship Alfred Hayes (as Gorilla Monsoon called him) was 77.