Old 12-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Super All-Star

ohhhhh ****!!! Manny is a teflon champ.
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Super All-Star

Floyd has never ever lost!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruffryder For This Useful Post:
Blues 34 (12-09-2012), Flyers2001 (12-11-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 10:32 AM
All-Star

This fight has to go down as an instant classic. It exceeded even my wildest dreams. Pacquiao to me actually looked better then he did in his last couple fights but Marquez wasn't going to be denied this time. I never could've imagined Marquez knocking out Pacquiao with one punch like this but in boxing you just never know. This fight has to make Marquez's great career even greater, what a victory.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to royjonesjr For This Useful Post:
Blues 34 (12-09-2012), flyersvikes (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Hall of Famer

RIP Derek Boogarrd
RIP Rick Rypien
RIP Wade Belak
Old 12-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by royjonesjr View Post
This fight has to go down as an instant classic. It exceeded even my wildest dreams. Pacquiao to me actually looked better then he did in his last couple fights but Marquez wasn't going to be denied this time. I never could've imagined Marquez knocking out Pacquiao with one punch like this but in boxing you just never know. This fight has to make Marquez's great career even greater, what a victory.

No doubt the fight is an instant classic!!!! Great fight for the sport, first PPV main event to exceed expectations in a long time. Def produced KO of the year, possible fight of the year and round of the year as well.

As a Pacquiao honk or whatever you want to call it, I have to give Marquez huge props this fight elevates him to possibly second best fighter of this generation status in fact I think it does how could it not. It's Floyd, Marquez and Manny as it stands right now.

I would like to see this Marquez get a crack at Floyd, I know Floyd handled him easily in their first bout and he may again. This Marquez is legit at 147 and I think would make a much better fight of it.

Nothing against Bam Bam Rios who had been mentioned as an opponent for the winner of this fight intended but Marquez is 39 years old and if he doesnt choose to just go out on top of the world I only see 2 possible fights I would take if I was him.

If Floyd wants to try it again you have a second bout with him or after this classic you have a 5th with Pacquiao. How big would that fight be if you had it outdoors in Mexico City. Could break PPV records

If its Mayweather you could also break records coming off the devistating KO of the man everyone wanted Floyd to fight.

I see Rios as a perfect guy for Manny to get back in the ring with next if not a 5th Marquez bout with Tim Bradley also a possibility.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't mind seeing JMM and Bradley.it would make sense since they are the last two who beat Manny.As for Floyd/Manny.I don't even want to see that anymore.It's lost it's appeal to me.The way Manny charges in.Floyd would have a field day feeding him counters rights,and a fight between them would pretty much go the way that JMM/Manny went last night.If not worse for Manny because Floyd is the best defensive fighter in the game.And to think of what could have been was wiped away with one thunderous right hand..

What I would like to see is Floyd fight Guerrero early next year,and then take on Canelo.That's the fight I want to see more than Manny and Floyd.I would like to see JMM fight Bradley and if he can get past him entertain a 5th fight with Manny...
Blues 34 (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Good to see Pacquiao get CRUSHED. I must have played the replay 100 times.

The Following User Says Thank You to ewen21 For This Useful Post:
acdcrocksno1 (12-09-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Marquez vs. Floyd would be such a money grab. Maybe Marquez will be able to handle Floyd's punch a little better, but the fight would play out the same way.

Marquez still has a smaller reach and is still a counter puncher. Unless your a southpaw its rare that Floyd will ignitiate rather than counter. Marquez would get outboxed.... again.

Marquez is a free agent and the best money fight that comes knocking is who he should take at 140. To me it just makes to much sense to pit Rios vs. Marquez. Manny should deal with his elections and come backn in the fall, if he even wants to come back at all. I know he said he still wants to fight on, but after some time things may change. I want to see him back though.

** I wrote many times and anyone privy to the fight game knows that a straight right hand is the way you neutralize a south paw, esp. one that pops in and out like Pacman. Thats part of the reason that when I broke down Pac and Floyd that Floyd would time him and land that punch at will in the later rounds. Floyd led with that same punch against Ortiz early and Judah late. Marquez timed it perfect and he waited for the bounce in and threw and dipped perfectly. A thing of beauty. Bat meets ball! Game, set, Match!

**On second though, a Marquez vs. Mayweather fight makes the most financial sense now. They will play the storyline of "Marquez beating Manny" "Real 147 lb fight vs. Floyd jumping the scale" "Cinco de Mayo."

A card with Marquez vs. Floyd and Canelo vs. Cotto would do 1.5 million buys.
Blues 34 (12-10-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Clever admin title

Alrighty... a quick recap of the weekend with fights not featuring a Manny name.

Mikkel Kessler set up a nice 2013 for himself by body shot KO'ing Brian Magee in a few rounds. I said it in the prediction, and I said it when the fight was made, it was a slaughter waiting to happen, and Kessler wasted no time in taking out the barely relevant and B-rate Magee.

*Whats next?*
For Kessler, it sets up a huge potential rematch year. He will probably take a light touch in early 2013 with both Ward and Froch being tied up with Pavlik and Bute, respectively. But, once we get into summer, expect major negotiations to begin for a rematch with either guy. Venue will be a huge issue for either of the match ups, but Kessler is on record saying he'll travel (I doubt that).

Nicholas Walters became some interim-regular titlist for the crooked WBA. I didn't watch the fight, and turned it off when it did come on. I'll watch the KO on youtube today at some point though.

-Fortuna UD12 over Hyland
This was an ugly fight. Both from a style matchup and to a flat out disgusting show of rabbit punching, punching on the break, and nearly everything else. I had a feeling Hyland's skills and chin would give Fortuna fits, and you could tell he was never really in the fight to win on the cards, just by KO. Once he realized that wasn't happening, the dirty crap and lack of an adjustment made the fight terrible. A showcase fight for Fortuna that simply didn't materialize.

*What's next*?
For Fortuna, it's easy... get him more rounds against top level opposition. He's now a champion, for whatever that matters. It'll be nice to see him in there with guys he can't KO immediately, and have the power to affect him later on in the fight - something he's never faced. Hyland, back to obscurity.

-Miguel Vazquez UD12 over Mercito Gesta
It was AWWWWWWWWFUL to watch. Both guys had 0 interest in actually fighting. Gesta was completely outclassed, having no idea how to get inside on Vazquez, and Vazquez did what he should have... box from the outside and keep Gesta on a stick the entire fight. It was boring, it was brutal to watch and it was ugly. But, in the end, Vazquez did what he had to do against a showcase fighter in Gesta, who Top Rank has been trying to build as the next Manny. I thought Gesta would put a hell of a lot more pressure on Vazquez and at least make the fight ugly and respectable... not the case.

*What's next?*
Vazquez did nothing to make anyone want to see him again. Top Rank keeps trying to make something out of him on big undercards, but the guy keeps failing to deliver. Frankly, who cares whats next for him? For Gesta, it's back to ESPN level fighters to rebuild. It's what happens when your promoter skips the entire Showtime/HBO scene and tries to get you a title shot immediately, based off of nothing special. A guy like Vazquez is there and with his natural tools, easily beats you. I could care even less where Gesta goes from here.

-Gamboa UD12 over Farenas
It was great to see Gamboa back... when he wanted to fight. So often in his fights, he takes 2/3 of a round off just to show off his footwork and defensive abilities. I long for the day of seeing him get dropped hard to where he can't get up. Someone will catch on to him ducking every time he thinks a punch is coming over the top or straight, and we'll see him out. Farenas, what a fighter. The kid has a chin, and a heart. He took some bombs, went down, got up, and then landed a hellacious left on Gamboa to drop and hurt him worse than Gamboa was able to give him. I don't care to pay to see Gamboa again, I know what I'm getting already, keep him on free HBO fights from now on... but Farenas, and action fighter with balls, heart and grit. I'll pay to watch that again.

*What's next?*
Gamboa is now the top of the division Broner once had locked up. He can fight those same cans and see how he does, or we can get the mega match with fellow super feather that is past it's expiration date, JuanMa Lopez. With the amount of boo'ing going on for Gamboa and his lack of fighting for 2/3 of the round - along with his showing off that nearly seen him knocked down later in the fight, I'm not sure what's next for him. For Farenas, it's a complete opposite. He lost, but should see his stock soar. The guy was there to be hit, but made the most of his opportunity nearly scoring the upset KO. Get him back on HBO.
MN Wild Team Forum
RIP Bob "Probie" Probert - 7/5/2010
RIP Derek "Boogie Man" Boogaard - 5/13/2011
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JKidd For This Useful Post:
trey383 (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Hall of Famer

I see they want Maquez tested now, not sure if they always do that. He did say no problem though.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Clever admin title

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashem View Post
I see they want Maquez tested now, not sure if they always do that. He did say no problem though.
There has been A LOT of testing demands for him. His athletic trainer who put all that extra muscle on has a track record with PEDs, so it's understandable.

I really, and I mean really, hope he gets tested and it comes back clean.
MN Wild Team Forum
Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Clever admin title

Also on Saturday, HW hopeful Bryant Jennings took another step forward with a KO5 on NBC's Fight Night.

Here is the KO ending, a beautiful KO on Bowie Tupou:
Bryant Jennings vs Bowie Tupou (KO) 08/12/2012 -...
MN Wild Team Forum
The Following User Says Thank You to JKidd For This Useful Post:
Flyers2001 (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Hall of Famer

Marquez did get tested. He took his urine sample like Manny. Nothing else is required of him and if Manny and his team wanted Marquez tested it should have been negotiated in his contract.

- Gamboa has told JuanMa that ship has sailed. The only way that fight happens now is if they throw huge amounts of money gamboa's way. Uchiyama makes a title defense NYE. HBO should toss some money and have them fight in the spring or Arum put it on Rios's undercard.

- Ricky Burns has no opponent and should just stop looking for one. He should settle down and fight Broner on Feb. 16th. Bang done...

- Roger Mayweather's health has been declining due to diabities. He may not be able to train Floyd. Rumors have it that Floyd has reached our to Sr. and they may be looking to hook back up.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKidd View Post
Also on Saturday, HW hopeful Bryant Jennings took another step forward with a KO5 on NBC's Fight Night.
My boy Jennings, continuing his come up. He shouldn't have to run 7 miles to work anymore. Boxing should be his full time job.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Clever admin title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
My boy Jennings, continuing his come up. He shouldn't have to run 7 miles to work anymore. Boxing should be his full time job.
He's getting a lot better with each outing. He survived a scary moment in the 3rd when he took an overhand right on the top of the head and he hit the deck. But, he bit down on the mouth piece and survived.

Should also be worth noting, that was his 5th fight of 2012.

Last note, he's now to the top 30 of boxrec's HW division at #26. Notable names behind him, Travis Walker, Kevin Johnson, Deontay Wilder, and Monte Barrett. Notables within 10 in front of him, Dereck Chisora, Seth Mitchell, Alexander Dimitrenko, Mariusz Wach, Steve Cunningham, Bermane Stiverne, Ruslan Chagaev and Denis Boytsov.

I think it's time for a good step up in competition for Jennings. Lets see him in there with Travis Walker, Monte Barrett, or Chazz Witherspoon.
MN Wild Team Forum

Tags
amir khan, andre ward, bernard hopkins, chad dawson, danny garcia, floyd mayweather, juan manuel marquez, julio cesar chavez jr, manny pacquiao, miguel cotto, nonito donaire, rjj p4p greatest, sergio martinez, wladimir klitschko