Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Clever admin title

The bigger news from this weekend is that Danny Garcia has sustained an injury during camp to his ribs, and will not be available for the card at Barclays on 2/9. They have postponed the fight, and Guerrero/Quillin to 4/27.

A part of boxing, as unfortunate as it is.
MN Wild Team Forum
RIP Bob "Probie" Probert - 7/5/2010
RIP Derek "Boogie Man" Boogaard - 5/13/2011
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Clever admin title

Here is the Dallas/Matthysse fight:
Lucas Matthysse vs Mike Dallas Jr. - YouTube
MN Wild Team Forum
The Following User Says Thank You to JKidd For This Useful Post:
Daaaa B's (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Hall of Famer

Matthysse is a beast. Can't wait to see him fight Garcia. I'd love to see him fight Rios too but likely won't happen due to Bob Arum being a POS. I've been a big fan of Matthysse since watching him KO Chop Chop a couple years ago.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Hall of Famer

The amount of people jumping on Danny Garcia's back about fighting Lucas needs to slow down. Danny gets a chance to fight for a title against Morales and wins. His next fight is to unify as an underdog and he wins. He HAS to fight Morales again as their was a rematch clause and Eric wanted it. He does it immediatley and gets it out of the way. He knocks Morales out in impressive fashion.

Danny now elects to fight Zab, who might be viewed as a safer option than Lucas, but Zab is worth much more money in Brooklyn and its ZAB who holds a recent victory over Lucas.

I like Lucas Mathysse, but he has struggled against boxers and is not the end of all of the Jr Welterweight Divison.

Him and Danny are 50-50 right now.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
The amount of people jumping on Danny Garcia's back about fighting Lucas needs to slow down. Danny gets a chance to fight for a title against Morales and wins. His next fight is to unify as an underdog and he wins. He HAS to fight Morales again as their was a rematch clause and Eric wanted it. He does it immediatley and gets it out of the way. He knocks Morales out in impressive fashion.

Danny now elects to fight Zab, who might be viewed as a safer option than Lucas, but Zab is worth much more money in Brooklyn and its ZAB who holds a recent victory over Lucas.

I like Lucas Mathysse, but he has struggled against boxers and is not the end of all of the Jr Welterweight Divison.

Him and Danny are 50-50 right now.
I have no problem with Danny fighting Zab to make some money,but I'd still like to see him and Lucas have a go.Preferrably when both are in the prime of their careers.Yeah Zab does hold a victory over Lucas,but some saw it the other way.The same for Lucas against Alexander..Then again even Alexander very rarely looks good...Danny's win against Khan was big.He was the underdog,and he Ko'd him to take the title.But I just can't put that much stock in his wins over a washed up Morales.Who's better days were at featherweight,and before Manny blasted him out in their rematch.I just want to see Danny and Lucas go sooner rather than later...
Old 01-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadubbin View Post
I have no problem with Danny fighting Zab to make some money,but I'd still like to see him and Lucas have a go.Preferrably when both are in the prime of their careers.Yeah Zab does hold a victory over Lucas,but some saw it the other way.The same for Lucas against Alexander..Then again even Alexander very rarely looks good...Danny's win against Khan was big.He was the underdog,and he Ko'd him to take the title.But I just can't put that much stock in his wins over a washed up Morales.Who's better days were at featherweight,and before Manny blasted him out in their rematch.I just want to see Danny and Lucas go sooner rather than later...
You don't have to put stock in the Morales wins, but they were necessary fights.

But look at each fighters resume. Mathysse best wins on his record is Soto or Corley and i'll give him the Alexander win because it was more clear to me than Judah. I thought Judah won many early rounds and also round 12. It could have been a draw or 1 round either way, so to me that was a legit loss. Garcia has wins over Holt, Campbell, Morales, and Khan.

There is nothing there that seperates Mathysse from Garcia. Garcia has looked just as impressive these past fights, he just came a long a little later and jumped on to the scene quickly. Mathysse gets a rap of being avoided because he brings a huge risk and little money.

Many people have the same belief about Mathysse as they do GGG. They need to slow down and let things happen. Like I said before hopefully this fight happens because it is a 50-50 fight. I gurantee Mathysse brings nothing to the table that Danny has not seen sparring at Harrowgates in (Kensington) Philadelphia. Gyms like that is why Philly has a reputation about in-gym wars.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Clever admin title

I don't have an issue with Danny "avoiding" Lucas. The thing is, Matthysse is Danny's mandatory, and has been since the Ajose win. Danny, instead of taking on Lucas when he was available took a fight with Zab Judah.

Now, I understand the business side of this, and I even understand where Al Haymon, Danny's manager comes into play. This is a business, you need to make money. I can see that justifying the Judah fight. I'll take that fight, its a good fight to me.

However, Danny does have a mandatory due to Lucas later this year. If he avoids it again for a fight you'd say is a lesser (as I view Zab), then I don't see any way around it being a duck.

That being said, as I said on Twitter, with GBP signing Lamont Peterson ahead of his bout with Kendal Holt, if Petey wins, I see them keeping Lucas and Danny apart, and I see Petey getting Lucas later on this year - not Danny.

Simply put, Danny is becoming more of a sell and draw, there is no business reason to give him Lucas and risk it all. Keep the two separate while GBP capitalizes on Lucas and Petey still keeping another title in house. Then, setup a unification bout later - if both are still making 140.

For the record, Monday I rewatched the Matthysse/Alexander and Matthysse/Judah fights.
LM vs. Devon I scored 96-93 for Matthysse
LM vs. Zab I scored 118-110 for Matthysse, worst case scenario, 116-112 for Matthysse. Simply put, the jabs and shoe shining early on from Zab doesn't overtake the power body shots Lucas landed.

The more and more boxing people I follow and converse with, see the Matthysse/Judah fight right around where I have, and see it as a hometown robbery as I see it. Not saying it means I'm right, but, to most, the guy is undefeated with wins over Judah, Alexander, Soto, Chop Chop, Ajose, and former titlist Vivian Harris.

I'll say this though, I'm really just happy this is a business move by GBP rather than a TR/GB feud.
MN Wild Team Forum
Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Its prize fighting for a reason. Garcia vs. Mathysse is not 1/3 of what the Judah fight is.

Unless GBP can get Mathysse a bigger mainstream name, Garcia would be better off doing a Khan rematch. $$ speaks. And if Danny beats both Judah and Khan, there is a mega fight waiting for him early next year with Floyd at 147 or Broner at 140. Its what GBP is doing. They build fighters that can bring the most money. Mathysse is not in these plans because he doesn't bring money to the table.

He needs to fight Maidana in a classic war and make himself mainstream. Mathysse fighting Lundy, Dallas, Ajose does nothing for him. he needs to get a better manager because his promoter is playing him.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Zab needs to shut his mouth. He bitched and moan when Angel told the truth and now he wants to play the part of **** talker.

Zab needs to wake up and realize what he is...... a gatekeeper. He knocks, but he won't go in... Tszyu, Spinks, Baldomir, Floyd, Cotto, Clottey, Khan...
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Clever admin title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Its prize fighting for a reason. Garcia vs. Mathysse is not 1/3 of what the Judah fight is.

Unless GBP can get Mathysse a bigger mainstream name, Garcia would be better off doing a Khan rematch. $$ speaks. And if Danny beats both Judah and Khan, there is a mega fight waiting for him early next year with Floyd at 147 or Broner at 140. Its what GBP is doing. They build fighters that can bring the most money. Mathysse is not in these plans because he doesn't bring money to the table.

He needs to fight Maidana in a classic war and make himself mainstream. Mathysse fighting Lundy, Dallas, Ajose does nothing for him. he needs to get a better manager because his promoter is playing him.
And this is the most sense.

Matthysse fighting Dallas, Lundy etc is to try and get him more of a following. It's a solid move by GBP to build a guy who did all his 'marketing' in Argentina and then came over and got robbed twice. Does it set up a major fight like Danny right away? No. Does it later on? We'll see.

However, this is a business. We both know that, and the fans know that - but don't want to believe it. With it being a business, and the way GBP has flipped from Amir Khan to Danny, I think it's safe to say they want to ride the Garcia cash run while they can and not risk him to a HIGH risk and very low reward fight (right now) with Matthysse.

Now Lucas and Danny have mandatory dues coming up. That's why I think it was VERY savvy of GBP to sign Lamont Peterson. If he wins, you can keep Mattysse happy and get him a major title (the IBF) and keep him away from Danny. Even still, if it's Holt who beats Matthysse, you've got Matthysse fighting Kendall Holt - a name fighter - and that is a VERY solid fight as well.

If GBP doesn't do a LM vs. Petey/Holt fight later in the year, and Danny avoids Lucas when they both have nothing going on - and Matthysse being his mandatory - you can't tell me that isn't a duck.
MN Wild Team Forum
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Clever admin title

I'll also get the boxing calendar updated tomorrow morning for February's big fights.
MN Wild Team Forum
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKidd View Post
And this is the most sense.

Matthysse fighting Dallas, Lundy etc is to try and get him more of a following. It's a solid move by GBP to build a guy who did all his 'marketing' in Argentina and then came over and got robbed twice. Does it set up a major fight like Danny right away? No. Does it later on? We'll see.

However, this is a business. We both know that, and the fans know that - but don't want to believe it. With it being a business, and the way GBP has flipped from Amir Khan to Danny, I think it's safe to say they want to ride the Garcia cash run while they can and not risk him to a HIGH risk and very low reward fight (right now) with Matthysse.

Now Lucas and Danny have mandatory dues coming up. That's why I think it was VERY savvy of GBP to sign Lamont Peterson. If he wins, you can keep Mattysse happy and get him a major title (the IBF) and keep him away from Danny. Even still, if it's Holt who beats Matthysse, you've got Matthysse fighting Kendall Holt - a name fighter - and that is a VERY solid fight as well.

If GBP doesn't do a LM vs. Petey/Holt fight later in the year, and Danny avoids Lucas when they both have nothing going on - and Matthysse being his mandatory - you can't tell me that isn't a duck.

I don't even though why people are talking about a duck! Where has Danny ducked anyone? Its dumb to predict a future duck.

Its like some people saying well, Broner is ducking all of the guys at 140. the dude has had one fight at 135.

Danny has fought the guys he was suppose to fight. Anyone that doesn't understand the Zab move, who holds a W over Lucas, is just plain ignorant to the boxing game.

By the way Floyd is ducking Wlad.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Clever admin title

I'm not getting on him for a future duck. Hell, I'm not even getting on him for taking Zab over Lucas right now. I'm merely saying if they both have open time, and Danny avoids the mandatory down the road - we have a duck on our hands. Shouldn't be too hard to see that for what it'd be.

Some headline news today is that Mike Alvarado and Brandon Rios have both signed their names and will engage in another FOTY March 30th at Mandalay Bay.

Also headline news is that Abner Mares has decided to move up to 126 and test the waters as a featherweight.

Almost done... Tyson Fury vs. Steve Cunningham is a done deal for April 20th.

Lastly, seeing some news that Paulie's next fight maybe against Juan Diaz, who he's 1-1 against in his career. Hoping to know more about this one as the news continues to break.
MN Wild Team Forum

Last edited by JKidd; 01-31-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Daaaa B's (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 AM
Clever admin title

Hell of a card, as always in Chicago. I'd be road'ing it up for this card, as I do any card at UIC, but death in the family has me staying put this weekend.

The card:
-Carlos Molina (20-5-2, 6 KOs) vs. Cory Spinks (39-7, 11 KOs) - 12 rounds, IBF junior middleweight eliminator

-Antwone Smith (22-4-1, 12 KOs) vs. Jose Luis Castillo (64-11-1, 55 KOs) - 10 rounds, welterweights

-Artur Szpilka (12-0, 9 KOs) vs. Mike Mollo (20-3-1, 12 KOs) - 8 rounds, heavyweights

My take:
Molina vs. Spinks-
Should be a hell of a boxing match where Molina tries to rough up and beat down Spinks, who will likely look to box and turn Molina coming in. How Spinks continues to get IBF eliminators is beyond me. Molina, the hard luck fighter from Chicago who never catches a break, finally does in this one, and I see him roughing up Spinks to a decision win - likely a majority or split nod.

Smith vs. JLC-
Smith is one hell of a boxer, and always shows up for a fight. However, he's got the wrong guy in front of him in this one - IMO. JLC looked really good last time out, and save for a busted hand, really carried the action and picked apart a very talented, and much younger fighter. I see him doing that again in this one. He's shop worn and not as fast, so Smith could get some quality work in on him, but I like the veteran former champ in a hell of a good fight.

Szpilka vs. Mollo-
Szpilka has a lot of momentum and following coming from across the pond where he's looked decent against some tough opposition - including a 10round UD over Jameel McCline. Mollo, has fought and lost to the top end talent he's faced, McCline and Golota and is coming off a draw over someone he should have wasted. I'll take the youngster from Poland, Szpilka by way of KO.
MN Wild Team Forum
Daaaa B's (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Clever admin title

Some breaking news is that Timmy Bradley has his opponent: Ruslan Provodnikov.

That is a hell of a fight.

Also, something I hate having to do, Omar Henry, the 25 year old junior middie prospect, who has been battling cancer for the past 2+ months, finally succumbed to his disease today. Some fighters have beaten it - Anthony Dirrell and Danny Jacobs most recently - but Omar was unable to come out on the winning end. At age 25, he passes away at 12-0-1, with 10 knock outs.

RIP Omar.
MN Wild Team Forum

Last edited by JKidd; 02-01-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Daaaa B's (02-01-2013)