Old 11-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Question

Assume you're coaching a chippy game of hockey and your team is winning 5-0. With 20 seconds left in the game the whistle has blown and the other team has just had your best players hemmed in your zone for about 45 seconds with constant pressure and chances.

Question is with 20 seconds left in a blowout game that you're winning, would you call a timeout to rest your best players in an attempt to preserve the shutout for your goalie?

And if you were the losing team's coach, what would your reaction be? Mad and put players out there to do something stupid? Mad and put players out there to try to break the shutout? Or would you not care?

- Sloth

Last edited by BROKEN*ORBITAL; 11-23-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Hall of Famer

Assuming we're talking about a Rec game and not say, the NHL. I wouldn't call timeout. You've gotten this far without letting a goal in, I'd say the other team isn't likely to get a goal.

Moreover, if you think the other team might start **** and they're a little unbalanced, I wouldn't give them the opportunity to get more worked up. YMMV.

PM me for a game!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Coach

Anytime it's a blowout game and there's very little time left, you gotta put your 4th liners out so that in case the going gets rough, you have guys out there who can handle it. A star player's health is a lot more concerning than whether or not the goalie got a shutout.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Hall of Famer

I think your asking for trouble if you put your best line on the bench. The other coach is more likly to do something stupid if he senses your giving up the game to protect the players. Non issue, keep the guys who you think will help the most on the ice, and assuming these are grown men command them not to retaliate. Yes, easer said than done...

https://twitter.com/Sabres_Captain
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't put out my best players....I would put out my 3rd/4th line out there (assuming that they are excellent in defensive). That way, they definitely can stop them and get a shutout and/or stand up if they start any crap.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold View Post
Anytime it's a blowout game and there's very little time left, you gotta put your 4th liners out so that in case the going gets rough, you have guys out there who can handle it. A star player's health is a lot more concerning than whether or not the goalie got a shutout.
This is the correct answer (if we are not talking about professional hockey (although as we know sometimes **** happens)).

From minor hockey to junior a, b or c to the beer leagues, guaranteed that if a team is losing 5-0 in the third with little time left, trouble will start.