Old 01-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Hall of Famer

League bans?

I was wondering if we could compile a list.

As far as i know, Chad Wagner is on this.
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Hall of Famer

# Billy Coutu, Boston Bruins, life, 1927, assaulting referee Jerry Laflamme and starting an all-in brawl (the ban was revoked after 5 years, but Coutu never played in the NHL again)
# Dan Maloney, Detroit Red Wings, 2 years, November 1975. (Banned from playing in Toronto only)

http://www.mlive.com/sports/bay-city...y_city_ho.html

By Amy L. Payne
January 30, 2009, 7:46AM
AP PhotoThe Edmonton Oilers' Gilbert Brule, left, and Steve MacIntyre hit Columbus Blue Jacket Jason Williams during the first period of the Oilers home game on Jan. 20.

Steve MacIntyre remembers his days as a junior hockey player in Bay City as if it were yesterday.

"I was there one season," MacIntyre said with a laugh. "Well, most of one season."

Specifically, MacIntyre played for the Bay County Blizzard, a Junior A team which played at the Bay County Civic Arena. His position was defense.

His job was enforcer.

MacIntyre, a 6-foot, 5-inch, 250-pounder, piled up a mind-boggling 260 penalty minutes in 31 games that 2001-02 season, which is another way of saying he spent the equivalent of four-plus games serving penalties. He departed prematurely when the Continental Elite Hockey League banned him for life following a brawl with a Detroit-based team.

But time works in strange ways. The Blizzard quickly folded, and the CEHL eventually followed suit.

And whatever became of the player the league banned for life?

Life is good.

He bounced here, and there. He rolled with the punches, and threw a lot more. He's spent more time on buses than a Greyhound driver.

But seven years and seven minor-league teams removed from Bay City, Steve MacIntyre finds himself as a 28-year old rookie in the National Hockey League. He wears the crest of the Edmonton Oilers, the team he followed as a kid while growing up in Brock, Saskatchewan (pop. 130).

"The Florida Panthers signed me as a free agent over the summer, then they sent me down to Rochester (of the American Hockey League) during training camp," MacIntyre said. "Because I was over 26 years old and had played over 250 professional games, I had to clear waivers before I reported to Rochester. And that's where Edmonton claimed me."

Sidelined for much of the season with an injury, MacIntyre has seen action in 15 games. He scored his first NHL goal in a Jan. 13 game at Washington, an event which earned him some high-profile publicity on Don Cherry's "Coach's Corner" show during CBC's Hockey Night in Canada telecast four days later.

"When I scored, it didn't even sink in until one of the guys asked me what it felt like to get my first goal in the league," MacIntyre said. "And to get on Don Cherry's show was pretty awesome."

MacIntyre already had played three full seasons in the Western Hockey League (Western Canada's version of the OHL) before arriving in Bay City to play for a team called the Tri-City Hurricanes owned by Mike Killbreath. Killbreath sold the team to a group of local investors - including Saginaw dentist Dr. William H. Richter and the late Tom Davis of Bay City - in October 2001, and the team was renamed the Bay County Blizzard.

"The first owner was pretty shady and the team was pretty much falling apart," MacIntyre said. "We were just a bunch of Canadian kids, and this was the first time in the States for most of us, so it was kind of a scary time.

"But the new owners came in and a bunch of people from the local hockey community stepped in and settled things down."

MacIntyre had 14 goals and 16 assists while in Bay City, but it was the fights - both his and his teammates - which many who attended the games still remember.

"We had, uh, a unique team," MacIntyre said. "No one was gonna push us off the ice, that's for sure."

MacIntyre stayed with the family of Dr. Greg and Lynne Bever in Linwood while with the Blizzard. Greg Bever died in 2007 of a rare neurological disorder.

"Staying with the Bevers was the best thing that ever happened to me in Bay City," MacIntyre said. "They're an awesome family, and it's terrible what happened to Greg.

"I'm very thankful to the people of Bay City to this day," MacIntyre said. "I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for those people. I hope I can get back there this summer for a visit."

Lynne Bever - herself a long-time recreational hockey player - has maintained contact with MacIntyre ever since the latter left Bay City. "Every fall, at the start of hockey season, we'd find out where Steve was playing," Bever said. "It's not too hard with the Internet. And we went to his wedding in North Carolina a couple of years ago.

"He's just the salt of the earth," said Bever of MacIntyre. "There was never anything stand-offish about the guy. And it wasn't an act - he was very sincere.

"And he loved Greg. He thought Greg was the coolest guy - from the Harleys he rode to the guitars he played. After Steve left here, if he was looking at buying a motorcycle somewhere, he'd call Greg first."

Ian Bever, 16, is currently a student at Bay City All Saints and a member of the Flint Generals Junior A team. Seven years ago, he was on the Blizzards' bench serving as the team stick boy.

"He (MacIntyre) fought a lot, but he was a great, great person off the ice," Ian Bever said. "You couldn't have met a nicer person. I still talk to him about once a month.

"When I found out he'd gotten picked up by the Oilers, it was crazy. I just had to call him right away. Steve couldn't believe it, either."

And he still can't. He can't believe he's playing in front of 19,000 fans a night, can't believe he's got a cult following on YouTube watching his body checks and fights.

He can't believe he makes as much money with one NHL paycheck as he did an entire season in the minors.

"There was one point, when I was playing in Quad Cities (Moline, Ill.) where I had had enough and quit," MacIntyre said. "I went back home and visited my Dad, and he said, 'Remember how much you've put into this before you do anything final.' He wanted me to make sure I was leaving the game for the right reasons. And I ended up going back."

And so, in a hockey journey which has wound its way through places like Saskatoon, Red Deer, St. Jean, Muskegon, Hartford, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Moline, and Providence, Steve MacIntyre has finally hit hockey's jackpot.

He's currently living in Edmonton with wife Briana, 13-year old stepson Koty, 2-year old son Kalyme and a 7-month old daughter, Kiara. He still drives a truck, and celebrated his first payday with the Oilers by buying a new pair of cowboy boots.

"I still can't believe what's happened," MacIntyre said. "It's been a wild ride. But right now, it's pretty cool."
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Humpzilla For This Useful Post:
acd1 (01-15-2010), bigjohnson (01-15-2010), Fotiu (01-13-2010), Killah_punk (01-13-2010), leafkillz (09-30-2011), Nightshade88 (01-13-2010), OneilltheGiant (10-13-2011), Ottenator (01-13-2010)
Old 01-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Was Brandon Sugden banned for life in the ECHL?

Retire #13.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Chad Wagner is banned for life, in the UHL.
Ken Tasker is banned in the MJAHL
Steve MacIntyre was banned from the Continental Elite Hockey League
Brad Wingfield was banned from the CHL
Link Gaetz has been banned a bit
Mel Angelstad is banned from playing in England...or at least one of their leagues
Eric Cairns is banned from playing in the EIHL, for punching refs
Billy Tibbetts was almost banned from the SPHL
Andy Bezeau Brad Wingfield Kerry Toporowski .... Willie Trognitz got banned from the IHL
Brandon Sugden was banned from the ECHL, and others
Jeff Kugel was banned from the OHL
Kerry Toporowski has been banned in a couple
Steve Fletcher was banned in a couple builidings
Jacques Mailhot had been banned from some senior leagues
Calvin Crowe was essentially banned from the ECHL
Justin McPoulin went nuts and beat up everyone in sight. That would be the ECHL as well.
Sasha got banned from a Alberta senior league.
Garrett Burnett was pretty muched banned from the LNAH

Gary Coupal, an enforcer from Capreol, Ont., was banned for life by the United Hockey League in 1997 when he broke his stick over his knee and threw it into the stands. No one was hurt.

Coupal's resume includes a 49-game suspension in the ECHL -- at the time the league's longest ever -- and a 46-game ban in the OHL while a member of the Sudbury Wolves

Rob McCaig banned for a year

Ice Hockey: McCaig given four-month ban for biting linesman

Superleague disciplinary chiefs yesterday banned the Newcastle Cobras defender Rob McCaig until 15 April and fined him pounds 1,000 for biting the Cardiff linesman Moray Hanson on his right arm last Thursday.

The incident occurred late in the Express Cup match and he was originally given a suspension of at least five games for roughing and gross misconduct for physical abuse of an official. But the league reviewed video evidence of the incident and decided that McCaig, a Canadian making his fifth appearance for the team, should be punished more severely. The British Ice Hockey Association has supported the judgement, ensuring that McCaig will not be eligible to play in any other British competition this season.

Richard Peacock

"Played WHL here in Prince George, seen him at the bar knock some guy out cold with 1 punch, few weeks later at a house party seen him beat 3 guys up then knock some girls teeth right out with 1 punch
Team kicked him off because he beat the girl up, Went to the saskatchewan league, Played a few games then was scratched one game and the other teams tough guy beat up there star so he went into the other teams dressing room and laid a beating on the guy and came back into the crowd with his shoes and hands all bloody, Got banned from that league, ."
The Following User Says Thank You to Humpzilla For This Useful Post:
FurnaceFace (06-01-2014)
Old 01-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Hall of Famer

nice article/post on Macintrye
Old 01-14-2010, 12:09 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpzilla View Post
Chad Wagner is banned for life, in the UHL.
Ken Tasker is banned in the MJAHL
Steve MacIntyre was banned from the Continental Elite Hockey League
Brad Wingfield was banned from the CHL
Link Gaetz has been banned a bit
Mel Angelstad is banned from playing in England...or at least one of their leagues
Eric Cairns is banned from playing in the EIHL, for punching refs
Billy Tibbetts was almost banned from the SPHL
Andy Bezeau Brad Wingfield Kerry Toporowski .... Willie Trognitz got banned from the IHL
Brandon Sugden was banned from the ECHL, and others
Jeff Kugel was banned from the OHL
Kerry Toporowski has been banned in a couple
Steve Fletcher was banned in a couple builidings
Jacques Mailhot had been banned from some senior leagues
Calvin Crowe was essentially banned from the ECHL
Justin McPoulin went nuts and beat up everyone in sight. That would be the ECHL as well.
Sasha got banned from a Alberta senior league.
Garrett Burnett was pretty muched banned from the LNAH

Gary Coupal, an enforcer from Capreol, Ont., was banned for life by the United Hockey League in 1997 when he broke his stick over his knee and threw it into the stands. No one was hurt.

Coupal's resume includes a 49-game suspension in the ECHL -- at the time the league's longest ever -- and a 46-game ban in the OHL while a member of the Sudbury Wolves

Rob McCaig banned for a year

Ice Hockey: McCaig given four-month ban for biting linesman

Superleague disciplinary chiefs yesterday banned the Newcastle Cobras defender Rob McCaig until 15 April and fined him pounds 1,000 for biting the Cardiff linesman Moray Hanson on his right arm last Thursday.

The incident occurred late in the Express Cup match and he was originally given a suspension of at least five games for roughing and gross misconduct for physical abuse of an official. But the league reviewed video evidence of the incident and decided that McCaig, a Canadian making his fifth appearance for the team, should be punished more severely. The British Ice Hockey Association has supported the judgement, ensuring that McCaig will not be eligible to play in any other British competition this season.

Richard Peacock

"Played WHL here in Prince George, seen him at the bar knock some guy out cold with 1 punch, few weeks later at a house party seen him beat 3 guys up then knock some girls teeth right out with 1 punch
Team kicked him off because he beat the girl up, Went to the saskatchewan league, Played a few games then was scratched one game and the other teams tough guy beat up there star so he went into the other teams dressing room and laid a beating on the guy and came back into the crowd with his shoes and hands all bloody, Got banned from that league, ."
I remember Calvin Crowe when he played for Pensacola Ice Pilots during the 98-99 season. He left the team and the report was that he wanted to go back home to Canada and work on the farm. I never believed that story.

I believe what happened was the coach who was Al Pedersen, wanted Crowe out of Pensacola. Pedersen was a skill and finesse coach, he did'nt believe in physical plays and fighting.

I also remember Gary Coupal. There was a ECHL game and I don't remember which teams, but I think one of them was the South Carolina Stingrays. But did'nt Coupal skated up to the bench and struck a player in the head with his stick?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Hall of Famer

That was a great article on Big Mac.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Trevor Gillies- banned from the NHL(2011-2012 season) for being a stand up team player and a goon.

The Joyride
The Pilots Pilot
Old 09-29-2011, 01:55 PM
All-Star

Lucas LaBelle was unofficially kicked out from Finnish jr. A SM-liiga after 0 points, 2 fights and 77 PIM in 6 games in 2006-2007.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:45 PM
All-Star

Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown was suspended forever from the Federal League

Sorry.... Couldnt resist
Old 09-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1480 View Post
Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown was suspended forever from the Federal League

Sorry.... Couldnt resist
I wonder if Andre "Poodle" Lussier got suspended forever since he's been living in semi-seclusion in northern quebec, ever since the Denny Pratt tragedy.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:20 AM
Rookie

I'm pretty sure Bryan Wells got kicked out of the WHL in 1986 for nearly biting a guys finger off in a fight.

If someone can correct me or tell me more about this incident it would be greatly appreciated as I heard from a friend of my dad's who likes to hit the bottle and may not be completely accurate.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:40 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1480 View Post

Sorry.... Couldnt resist
I had heard that the actor who played Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown really was banned from the ECHL.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:06 AM
Hall of Famer

Wasn't Marc Laforge banned from the OHL?

Retire #13.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuech13 View Post
I had heard that the actor who played Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown really was banned from the ECHL.
Joe Nolan! I just wikipedia'd him, and I guess he did actually get banned as mentioned in the slap shot anniversary dvd thing. It also mentions he returned to the league as a LINESMAN. Thanks to the internet for adding some knowledge to this.