Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Garden View Post
[/b]

Never beat my favorite fighter, not that has anything to do with the argument anyways.

I'm still waiting for this slo-mo of the last punch Brash threw...that supposedly didn't hit helmet. Brash didn't win that fight, 2 or 3 knockdowns to 1.

I'll step aside and let the sour Flyer homers derail another thread.
There are other ways to get attention.

Brashear beat your favorite fighter. Undisputed top 5 all time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RetardedChimp For This Useful Post:
Iberian456 (01-04-2013), lilburtis9363 (01-04-2013), Philly Fan 27 (01-04-2013)
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Minor Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Garden View Post
[/b]

Never beat my favorite fighter, not that has anything to do with the argument anyways.

I'm still waiting for this slo-mo of the last punch Brash threw...that supposedly didn't hit helmet. Brash didn't win that fight, 2 or 3 knockdowns to 1.

I'll step aside and let the sour Flyer homers derail another thread.
Looks like it was already derailed by a sour Jack Edwards wanna-be. Too bad Chara bailed against Brashear like he has with so many legit heavies. Typical.

By the way, Brashear TKO'ed Laraque.
The Following User Says Thank You to zanzibar1819 For This Useful Post:
Iberian456 (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetardedChimp View Post
There are other ways to get attention.
Don't justify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar1819 View Post
Looks like it was already derailed by a sour Jack Edwards wanna-be. Too bad Chara bailed against Brashear like he has with so many legit heavies. Typical.

By the way, Brashear TKO'ed Laraque.
What's this, your 4th account this week?

Perhaps Brashear and Chara could have fought if Huggy didn't go for the hug/takedown right away.

Typical Brashear "fight"-molestation.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Ridiculous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND893 View Post
Brashear was dropped once, but was able to recover and score a nice win over Laraque. Calling it a win for Laraque is just ridiculous.
Welcome aboard Foxhound, nice first post.

It seems we have a differing viewpoint on this fight. No problem.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I WILL NOT call your opinion ridiculous but I disagree with you.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Hall of Famer

I will stick with the win for BGL against popular opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage76 View Post
So is calling it a win for Brash.
Draw
IMO, I don't see how Brashear could be given a TKO victory anyway you slice it. BGL was up and ready to continue IMMEDIATELY. Therefore, NO TKO.
It wasn't his fault that the REFS would not let them continue. He had knocked Brashear down with a punch earlier in the fight and then a second time, not as strong though. Decision BGL for me.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Hall of Famer

I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan 27 View Post
not really. brashear ended the fight w/ a punch. its either a win for brash or a draw. there's no argument for a win for BGL
The fight was NOT stopped by a punch from Brashear, it was stopped by the referee. Not because he was hurt but because they wanted to end the fight. Remember this is the GARY BETTMAN regime, they don't like fights!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderarms View Post
The fight was NOT stopped by a punch from Brashear, it was stopped by the referee. Not because he was hurt but because they wanted to end the fight. Remember this is the GARY BETTMAN regime, they don't like fights!
excellent troll job
The Following User Says Thank You to Philly Fan 27 For This Useful Post:
Iberian456 (01-05-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Hall of Famer

I wanted to give my take on the controversial Bgl-Brash fight in one of the Brash threads that were circulating around. I guess I'll do it here...

This fight had the potential to be a "fight for the ages"-almost similar to the probert-brown fight. Two of the greatest champions of their era fighting for the right to be the best. A hockey fight version of a clash of the titans. In the probert-Brown fight you had Brown get his patented headstart. he cross-checked probert in the face and then began wailing away on him with lefts. Probert collected himself, and then turned the tables on Brown. He shed the jersey and pounded away on Brown and won the fight clearly. Many point to this fight as being what ultimately seperates these two as far as being the best fighter of their era. BGL-Brash had that kind of potential.

BGL got off to a great start and dominated right out of the gate. By my count, Laraque knocked Brashear down 3 times before Brash was able to land a single punch. This fight could have easily surpassed just how convincing probert's victory over brown was. IF it ended at that point that is. The problem for laraque was he let up. He should have thrown a few shots at brashear while he was down but that would have been a flagrant violation of the vaunted "code". This would have made the linesmen jump in right then and there to end it and preserve what would have been the crown jewel of laraque's fighting career. By letting up on Brashear, he allowed him back in the fight.

As we all know, Brash threw two punches at Laraque. both appeared to hit laraque on the helmet. I never thought that those punches were enough to put Laraque on his ass. Brash had some pop without a doubt, but I began to suspect something else. No way Laraque gets floored by those shots. this wasn't a typical TKO or KD event in my eyes. i basically began to think that Laraque bailed. Plain and simple. He looked awesome hammering Brashear with those big lefts. Perfect form and balance. YET he inexplicably loses balance when Brashear throws punches back at him! Laraque pulled the chute to end the fight.

Now I know the linesmen didn't step in when Laraque had Brash at his mercy, yet they did so conveniently when Brash put laraque down. Hey these are hockey fights man. We all know there are far more variables in a hockey fight than in a boxing match. It is what it is. The linesmen could step in prematurely, laraque could have stepped on a stick, one of Brash's teammates may have jumped in, the elbow pad may have been stuck around one of their fists taking away the impact and force of a punch yadda yadda yadda...

I have always given the win to Brashear, not so much a tko win or kd, but because laraque bailed. In a way it seemed like Laraque wanted out of that fight because it could still be viewed by many as a big win for him. After all, he pounded Brashear in the early stages of that fight. I don't think he realised the amount of controversy he would unleash with regards to how this fight would be scored by the masses.

There have been other instances in the past where I did the same thing. I had Brashear beating Tie Domi convincingly in their fight during the '03 playoffs-then Brash bails and turtles! No matter what the compubox numbers were for that fight-I gave the decision to Domi. Bailing out of a fight to me is the ultimate BS maneuver. It doesn't have to be a blatant bail like Brashear-Domi. it could be that suspicious slip or "selective balance" as I like to call it. When i first saw the Laraque-Brashear fight, it seemed like a pure TKO win for Brashear. But Laraque went down awfully easy. Laraque doesn't get harangued on here for bailing in fights but if you began to find the range with your punches against him-he got sloppy. he would wrestle you right down rather than trade punches. he would throw you down and end the fight that way. Not a bail out a la Brashear-domi, but certainly a suspicious act done to end a fight.

i also have to add how much Brashear impressed me in this fight. he got back up off the ice and made a fight of it. i had always criticised him in the past for not showing a lot of heart. He could pound the sh!t out of a guy but he seeemd unwilling to let himself get pounded. he would find his way out of the fight. he has numerous examples (at least to me) of bails or half bails and the same "selective balance" I mentioned earlier. However on this night, he showed the heart of a champion. It's not always about wins and losses. Sometimes it's what a fighter does when faced with adversity in a fight. whether they were knocked down in the fight or maybe they took a savage beating and went looking for a rematch-that's the stuff of champions right there!

So I give Brash the win in this one. I know some on here may not agree, but that's how I feel.
battleship25 (01-07-2013), BENNETTWOLF (01-04-2013), Blues 34 (01-04-2013), Iberian456 (01-04-2013), lilburtis9363 (01-05-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Just giving an opinion like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan 27 View Post
excellent troll job
Tough to say trolling when I started the thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spiderarms For This Useful Post:
Cat Smasher (01-07-2013), thekidd21 (01-07-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Another great comeback........

Jimmy Mann slams Jay Miller of bruins into the boards and immediately starts pounding on him from behind.

Jay gets turned around and starts to take control. Before you know it, its Jay's fight as he has Mann on the receiving end.

Total turn around and completely unexpected.
The Following User Says Thank You to spiderarms For This Useful Post:
battleship25 (01-07-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderarms View Post
Jimmy Mann slams Jay Miller of bruins into the boards and immediately starts pounding on him from behind.

Jay gets turned around and starts to take control. Before you know it, its Jay's fight as he has Mann on the receiving end.

Total turn around and completely unexpected.
Many of Miller's fights were like that. He could absorb some punches, wait for his opponent to tire, and then start chucking. I remember reading a Miller interview one time where he basically said that he liked to take a few shots in a fight, to warm up. Crazy dude.
battleship25 (01-07-2013), spiderarms (01-07-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:37 PM

Darren Langdon vs. Donald Brashear - YouTube
Hockeyfighters.cz Tie Domi vs Jeff Beukeboom.wmv...
Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilburtis9363 View Post
Langdon-Brashear- Draw- Brashear early, Langdon late

Domi- Beukeboom- TKO win Domi

Anyone trying to compare that to Laraque/Brashear is just stirring the pot because Beukeboom lands a few shots on Domi early, he didn't drop Domi to a knee twice like Laraque did to Brash, and Domi lands 2, one that totally buckles him and he goes down in a heap and the fight ends as a result.

I don't think either of those fights are tough to call at all, not sure how anyone could see them differently unless you want to give out the dreaded "edge" to either Langdon or Brashear in their fight but that even seems silly, they both landed some punches, Langdon tied Brash up like he usually does and comes back pretty strong showing better stamina and they both look at each other and agree to stop fighting. An obvious draw.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebflorida View Post
Langdon-Brashear- Draw- Brashear early, Langdon late

Domi- Beukeboom- TKO win Domi

Anyone trying to compare that to Laraque/Brashear is just stirring the pot because Beukeboom lands a few shots on Domi early, he didn't drop Domi to a knee twice like Laraque did to Brash, and Domi lands 2, one that totally buckles him and he goes down in a heap and the fight ends as a result.

I don't think either of those fights are tough to call at all, not sure how anyone could see them differently unless you want to give out the dreaded "edge" to either Langdon or Brashear in their fight but that even seems silly, they both landed some punches, Langdon tied Brash up like he usually does and comes back pretty strong showing better stamina and they both look at each other and agree to stop fighting. An obvious draw.
I don't consider beuks/domi anything like laraque/brash. Beuks was feeding domi early, but domi came back and put him down. Clear tko

Brash had langdon in a very difficult spot once he got the jersey over his head. Langdon out muscled brash and freed his head from the jersey. The rest of the fight was pretty much all Langdon. He landed quite a few rights and lefts

Colton Orr vs Deryk Engelland Oct 13, 2010 -...

Last edited by lilburtis9363; 01-07-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilburtis9363 View Post
I don't consider beuks/domi anything like laraque/brash. Beuks was feeding domi early, but domi came back and put him down. Clear tko

Brash had langdon in a very difficult spot once he got the jersey over his head. Langdon out muscled brash and freed his head from the jersey. The rest of the fight was pretty much all Langdon. He landed quite a few rights and lefts

Colton Orr vs Deryk Engelland Oct 13, 2010 - YouTube
TKO win DE, that punch definitely ended that fight.