Old 06-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince65 View Post
And the answer is !!

When Harry Howell retired from the NHL in 1972-73 he led all cup-less players , with 1,411 games in 21 seasons . Since than , Phil Housley , Mlke Gartner and Scott Melanby have each played more regular season matches without a championship , but Howell remains hockey's most frustrated rearguard .
Playing for New York, California and Los Angeles between 1952 and 1973 , Howell never once played on a first place team and never made it to Stanley Cup Finals even once ..
Doesnt Phil Housley counts as a d-man? I know he played a couple of games as a center, but you'd still consider him a d-man?
Maggie3and Me (06-24-2011)
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Luke Richardson played 1417 and never won the cup

***censored***
The Following User Says Thank You to acdcrocksno1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I am not to shore about this , but the name kind of shook a memory , wasn't he drafted way back in the early seventies by Punch Imlach when Punch was with the Buffalo Sabers , wasn't he the player that NEVER EXISTED or something like that , just can't remember the whole story , but I think it was all a hoax or something like that ..
I was thinking he was Mr.Fuji's tag team partner
The Following User Says Thank You to smashem For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Here is another one regarding defense men I came across ..

Who was the FIRST defense-man to record 500 career points ??

George Gross : At L.A. Kings/Toronto Game In 1970 ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fansince65 For This Useful Post:
Flyer_Frank (06-23-2011), Maggie3and Me (06-24-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

I am stuck between two guy's and it is probably wrong, Denis Potvin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smashem For This Useful Post:
fansince65 (06-23-2011), Maggie3and Me (06-24-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

Dit Clapper did it . . . if you count playoffs and ignore his playing some wing.

Red Kelly did it, but played also played a good bit of forward.

I think Doug Harvey would be the 1st to do it clean.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flyer_Frank For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashem View Post
I am stuck between two guy's and it is probably wrong, Denis Potvin
Nope not Potvin ..

And FF it was not Harvey either .

I will tell you this much , Red Kelly would have been the first to reach the mark but he was converted to center after he was traded to Toronto from Detroit in 1959-60, played the rest of his career at that position ..

Last edited by fansince65; 06-23-2011 at 02:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fansince65 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Excuse me for not being here the last few days.

I have had a lot of work to do helping some people out and am now just getting finished with a very busy week. I will read over what has been going on catch up with things then.

In the mean time, I will sleep a little better tonight, knowing that the Hawks have made a deal with the Panthers to move Brian Campbell. That move does a lot for the future of the Hawks and building a much stronger team.

We now have money to keep Patrick Sharp. By making more cap room available, it also allows the Hawks to go after a key free agent or two, if the deals can be structured in the right way.
bruiser11 (06-25-2011), Killah_punk (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 01:02 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemaker View Post
Anyone here know what happened to bigjack?

He's been gone an awfully long time. I hope everything is ok with him....

Did he say anything before leaving?
I am wondering the same thing.
RIP Derek Boogarrd
RIP Rick Rypien
RIP Wade Belak
The Following User Says Thank You to Killah_punk For This Useful Post:
Maggie3and Me (06-26-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Nope not Potvin ..

And FF it was not Harvey either .

I will tell you this much , Red Kelly would have been the first to reach the mark but he was converted to center after he was traded to Toronto from Detroit in 1959-60, played the rest of his career at that position ..
Everybody kind of gave up on this one. After I took my wrong guesses, I did some look up and one D-man who topped 500 pts and then some was Doug Mohns. I remember Mohns at the very end as a guy at the very end with ATL and never realized he consistently put up very good numbers in his prime and before my time. Kind of surprised me. Mags what's the skinny on this guy as his best years were in CHI?

Pretty sure the right answer is Bill Gadsby.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flyer_Frank For This Useful Post:
fansince65 (06-27-2011), Maggie3and Me (06-26-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Hall of Famer

“Dougie” Mohns, easily one of the most versatile all around players in NHL history.

My first recollection of him came when he was playing for the Boston Bruins, back in the late 1950’s and early 1960's. He mostly played defense for them and was teamed up with Fern Flaman for quite a bit of his time with the Bruins. I think he played 10 or 11 seasons for the B’s. He was a fast skater, had good puck handling skills and great hockey sense. I think the Bruins moved him off the blue line and primarily to left wing around 1960-61.

I was in boot camp when I heard the news that we traded one of my all time favorite Blackhawks, Reg Fleming, along with Ab McDondald, in June of 1964, to Boston for Mohns. Both Fleming and McDonald had come to the Hawks in the Stanley Cup season of 1960-61 and played a big part in winning the cup. McDonald had good size and could skate and score from his left wing spot. Fleming continued the toughness and attitude that was started by Ted Lindsay, in the few years we had him.

Unfortunately, I did not get to see Mohns play a lot of games in Chicago. I know he came over and made an immediate impact on the Hawks, because of his speed, scoring ability and skating skills. He was teamed with Stan Mikita and Kenny Wharram on the “Scooter Line”, taking McDonalads place, after the trade. I think he was 31 when he came over from Boston.

When I came back to Chicago, Mohns was in his late 30’s and had been moved back to defense, as he lost some of his speed. His skating and puck handling skills were still there, though he relied more on positional play and his hockey sense to make plays. He was a definite crowd favorite. Most of that was based on he approached and played the game. Always as a professional.

In February of 1971, he was traded to the Minnesota North Stars for Terry Caffery and Danny O’Shea, both of whom went on to have careers only known to their immediate families.

In his career with the Hawks he played in 355 regular season games, had 116 goals and 279 points. Along with that, he had 367 PIM. For his NHL career he played for 22 seasons, appeared in 1,390 games, scored 248 goals, and had 462 assists for a total of 710 points. One of the things often overlooked is the fact he had over 1200 PIM. While no heavy weight champion, he stood about 6’ 00” and weighed 190 pounds. While a Bruin, he did have fights with Ferguson, Ralph Backstrom, and Orland Kurtenbach, to name a few. In Chicago, he fought Ted Harris a number of times, along with Kent Douglass and Pete Stemkowski. He played a tough hard game and did not take a lot of crap.

When I said one of the most versatile players in NHL history, I meant it. Think about playing 22 seasons in the league to begin with, then add in switching seamlessly from defense to forward, being moved back and forth several times in his career, then switching back to defense, where he finished out his career.

I think that fansince65 and Johnny Pie can tell you more about his early seasons in Boston. I think he came up in the 1953-54 season for the B’s.

Last edited by Maggie3and Me; 06-26-2011 at 06:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maggie3and Me For This Useful Post:
Flyer_Frank (06-26-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie3and Me View Post
“Dougie” Mohns, easily one of the most versatile all around players in NHL history.

My first recollection of him came when he was playing for the Boston Bruins, back in the late 1950’s and early 1960's. He mostly played defense for them and was teamed up with Fern Flaman for quite a bit of his time with the Bruins. I think he played 10 or 11 seasons for the B’s. He was a fast skater, had good puck handling skills and great hockey sense. I think the Bruins moved him off the blue line and primarily to left wing around 1960-61.

I was in boot camp when I heard the news that we traded one of my all time favorite Blackhawks, Reg Fleming, along with Ab McDondald, in June of 1964, to Boston for Mohns. Both Fleming and McDonald had come to the Hawks in the Stanley Cup season of 1960-61 and played a big part in winning the cup. McDonald had good size and could skate and score from his left wing spot. Fleming continued the toughness and attitude that was started by Ted Lindsay, in the few years we had him.

Unfortunately, I did not get to see Mohns play a lot of games in Chicago. I know he came over and made an immediate impact on the Hawks, because of his speed, scoring ability and skating skills. He was teamed with Stan Mikita and Kenny Wharram on the “Scooter Line”, taking McDonalads place, after the trade. I think he was 31 when he came over from Boston.

When I came back to Chicago, Mohns was in his late 30’s and had been moved back to defense, as he lost some of his speed. His skating and puck handling skills were still there, though he relied more on positional play and his hockey sense to make plays. He was a definite crowd favorite. Most of that was based on he approached and played the game. Always as a professional.

In February of 1971, he was traded to the Minnesota North Stars for Terry Caffery and Danny O’Shea, both of whom went on to have careers only known to their immediate families.

In his career with the Hawks he played in 355 regular season games, had 116 goals and 279 points. Along with that, he had 367 PIM. For his NHL career he played for 22 seasons, appeared in 1,390 games, scored 248 goals, and had 462 assists for a total of 710 points. One of the things often overlooked is the fact he had over 1200 PIM. While no heavy weight champion, he stood about 6’ 00” and weighed 190 pounds. While a Bruin, he did have fights with Ferguson, Ralph Backstrom, and Orland Kurtenbach, to name a few. In Chicago, he fought Ted Harris a number of times, along with Kent Douglass and Pete Stemkowski. He played a tough hard game and did not take a lot of crap.

When I said one of the most versatile players in NHL history, I meant it. Think about playing 22 seasons in the league to begin with, then add in switching seamlessly from defense to forward, being moved back and forth several times in his career, then switching back to defense, where he finished out his career.

I think that fansince65 and Johnny Pie can tell you more about his early seasons in Boston. I think he came up in the 1953-54 season for the B’s.
Thanks Mags. Another guy who played plenty up front and on the blueline. That is versatility. Not as many do that these days. Byfuglien, McSorely a ways back, Jim McKenny, I think did it some. Mark Howe might be the best, an All Star at both. Not too many though. Tough to do at the major league level.

Haha, just took a look at Mohns' card and in his last year at 40-something he fought Durbano and Cashman! Atta guy, Doug!

Last edited by Flyer_Frank; 06-27-2011 at 12:26 AM.
fansince65 (06-27-2011), Maggie3and Me (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer_Frank View Post
Everybody kind of gave up on this one. After I took my wrong guesses, I did some look up and one D-man who topped 500 pts and then some was Doug Mohns. I remember Mohns at the very end as a guy at the very end with ATL and never realized he consistently put up very good numbers in his prime and before my time. Kind of surprised me. Mags what's the skinny on this guy as his best years were in CHI?

Pretty sure the right answer is Bill Gadsby.
Bill Gadsby is the correct answer ..

A superb two-way defense-man , Gadsby narrowly beat out Doug Harvey by a few months , he scored his 500th point on November 4/1962 .

WHEN retired in 1965-66 , he ranked 20th among NHL scorers ..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fansince65 For This Useful Post:
Flyer_Frank (06-27-2011), Maggie3and Me (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Bill Gadsby is the correct answer ..

A superb two-way defense-man , Gadsby narrowly beat out Doug Harvey by a few months , he scored his 500th point on November 4/1962 .

WHEN retired in 1965-66 , he ranked 20th among NHL scorers ..
That was deceptively tough as quite a few guys jumped back and forth from D to forward. For Smash, I know for certain Potvin was the 1st Dman to top 1000 pts., remember when it happened. HOF voting is coming up and Mark Howe deserves in . . . it's the Hockey HOF not just the NHL HOF. He was an All Star up front and on D and topped 1400 points as a major leaguer: NHL/WHA playoffs and regular season.
fansince65 (06-27-2011), Maggie3and Me (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer_Frank View Post
That was deceptively tough as quite a few guys jumped back and forth from D to forward. For Smash, I know for certain Potvin was the 1st Dman to top 1000 pts., remember when it happened. HOF voting is coming up and Mark Howe deserves in . . . it's the Hockey HOF not just the NHL HOF. He was an All Star up front and on D and topped 1400 points as a major leaguer: NHL/WHA playoffs and regular season.
Ya Potvin was the first D-man to reach 1000 points , but it took him 987 games to do it ..

What D-man holds the record for reaching the 1000 point plateau in the least amount of games , and how many games did it take him ..

The Following User Says Thank You to fansince65 For This Useful Post:
Maggie3and Me (06-27-2011)