Old 11-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Hall of Famer

Most effective team villain

There have been a boat load of these guys down through the years. I can list a few but by no means is it exhaustive. Who do you think was the most effective villain for his team, meaning, who was the most transformative guy that added the most value where-by at the end of the day/season this guy really contributed in a great way? This is not limited to fighters, obviously. Feel free to add your favorites

Bobby Clarke
Tiger Williams
Kenny Linnsman
Claude Lemieux
DaveSemenko
Dale Hunter
Sean Avery
Dave Shultz
Esa Tikkanen
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the decision that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." Fear always springs from ignorance."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BaddaBing Badda Boom For This Useful Post:
BENNETTWOLF (11-22-2012), blockerpunch (11-21-2012), Flyer_Frank (11-21-2012), spiderarms (11-21-2012)
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Being a villain is all relative. I would say Dave Schultz is the biggest villain in the game's history . . . . except in Philly, of course. I've written this a few times, but he was the best instigator I've ever seen, no doubt. If you saw those Philly teams play that was his role, he really wasn't an enforcer.

Now here in Philly, there have been plenty of villains over the years but no one really tops Sidney Crosby as the most hated opponent in the almost 30 years I've lived in these parts. No one, not Domi or Chelios or Stevens or Barnaby, the list goes on, comes close.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flyer_Frank For This Useful Post:
battleship25 (11-21-2012), edwardraffoni (11-29-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Hall of Famer

How was Esa Tikkanen a villain? I don't remember him being hated just annoying as hell.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Super All-Star

Dave Schulz is the epitome of effective villain. Claude Lemieux I think has to be ranked right up there in this category. Both guys were crucial puzzle pieces for multiple Stanley Cups. Semenko/McSorley were probably viewed as villains by a lot of people, I'd say their presence in the Oilers line up was effective allowing the Oilers some space to run and gun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blockerpunch For This Useful Post:
Flyer_Frank (11-22-2012), mikebflorida (11-26-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Hall of Famer

How about some more villians?

Youre shocking me BX4.

How about Ulf Samuleson?

How about Bryan Marchment?

How about Steve Durbano?

How about Bryan Bugsy Watson?

How about Derek Sanderson?

How about Denis Hextall?

How about Denis Polonich?

How about modern day Steve Ott?

I'll leave some for the rest of the guys!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spiderarms For This Useful Post:
battleship25 (11-26-2012), BENNETTWOLF (11-22-2012), Flyer_Frank (11-22-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Guys like Dale Hunter or Stan Makita that where just mean and had that win at all costs attitude no matter what it took and where even disliked by their own team-mates they where the true villians of hockey .
They would stick a player in the face if that is what it took to put them off their game , Terrible Ted Green , Tiger Williams , these guys didnt get their nick names because they played the game like choir boys , players like them are the true villians of hockey ..

George Gross : At L.A. Kings/Toronto Game In 1970 ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fansince65 For This Useful Post:
BENNETTWOLF (11-23-2012), blockerpunch (11-22-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Super All-Star

Nels Stewart has to gain some points in this thread:

From the Bleacher Report: "Nicknamed Old Poison, Stewart was the first NHL player to ever record 300 career goals, achieving that milestone during the 1937-38 season. His impressive record stood until Maurice Richard eclipsed that number in 1953.

His goal-scoring prowess was amazing, but what made him interesting was his truculent attitude, an example of which was his willingness to spit his chewing tobacco into the face of opposing goaltenders."

If that's not an effective villain I don't know what is!

Also Eddie Shore from all accounts should get mention in this too
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blockerpunch For This Useful Post:
BENNETTWOLF (11-23-2012), Flyer_Frank (11-26-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Hall of Famer

His prime was slightly before my time but how about Bobby Clarke? A truly GREAT player who wasn't exactly beloved outside of philadelphia.

GD.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BENNETTWOLF For This Useful Post:
blockerpunch (11-23-2012), flyersvikes (11-23-2012), Flyer_Frank (11-23-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Take a player like Mark Messier , he was one of the best players of all time (in my opinion) but was mean as a rabid dog when the game was on the line .
He was not above sticking another player in the face , crosschecking the teeth out of their mouth or spearing them , he was hated by every player that played against him but loved by his team-mates and fans alike , he was one of the most respected villain's of all time that could play the game at it's highest level , he was coveted by every team in the league .
Players like this are the ones I categorize as being villains , the dirty players that could still play the game , Claude Lemieux was hated by every fan that ever watched him play because of his dirty play , but he was wanted on every team in the league because he could play the game .
Ulf Samuleson was another that was hated by all for his hits from behind on unsuspecting players that put many out of the game , Brian Marchment was another we loved to hate because of the way he went after players knees , he was the low-bridge expert of the league for years and got away with it all the time , he also cut many careers short with his play , but he could play the game .
These players where the real "VILLIANS" of the game because they where dirty and could play the game , the last real villain of the game was Shawn Avery ..

George Gross : At L.A. Kings/Toronto Game In 1970 ...

Last edited by fansince65; 11-23-2012 at 09:00 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fansince65 For This Useful Post:
battleship25 (11-26-2012), BENNETTWOLF (11-23-2012), djaye (11-23-2012), kam (11-23-2012), Viper207 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderarms View Post
Youre shocking me BX4.

How about Ulf Samuleson?

How about Bryan Marchment?

How about Steve Durbano?

How about Bryan Bugsy Watson?

How about Derek Sanderson?

How about Denis Hextall?

How about Denis Polonich?

How about modern day Steve Ott?

I'll leave some for the rest of the guys!
What fun would there have been for you if I named em all?
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the decision that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." Fear always springs from ignorance."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Hall of Famer

This is easy. Dave Schultz changed the game completely and in the process drew the ire of fans, coaches, players, and league officials from coast to coast in 2 countries.

No one had the effect he had. There have been "hated" players like Linesman, Avery, Cooke, Crosby, Dale Hunter, Claude Lemieux, and others like that but none were game changers like Schultz was, he totally changed the way the game was played using intimidation like no one before him and really, no one since. There have been tough teams, sure, but none like those 2 Stanley Cup winning Flyer teams with Schultz leading the way and man, he was hated like no one else.

For me, Claude Lemieux was my most hated player followed closely by Dale Hunter. Those 2 guys could just drive you nuts with their style of play as they would cheat their way to wins and when someone tried to make them pay they always seemed to skate away unscathed, for the most part and often wouldn't even get a penalty but the other team would, it was just maddening to watch that!

I still think Lemieux should have been suspended forever for the Draper hit, it was so obviously on purpose and the fact he never apologized for it really says what kind of a low life he is and was.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam View Post
How was Esa Tikkanen a villain? I don't remember him being hated just annoying as hell.
Remember hearing his name taken in vane in certain circles very much on the Claude Lemieux level - prehaps more understated than Lemieux but semingly his "peskiness" could really get under the skin of some in a big way
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 11-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Hall of Famer

dino ciccarelli
(notice i dont capitalize that pukes name)
R.I.P #24
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OLLBLUEEYZ For This Useful Post:
bustoff (11-26-2012), fish7 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Chris Chelios in Chicago was an absolute nuisance. He was hated around the league, but there was real animosity towards him in the other Norris cities. This was, of course, 40 or 50 years before he finally retired as a completely different player, but that dude could be a real prick.

Speaking of real pricks, how about Darius Kasparaitis? God what a dirty SOB
bustoff (11-28-2012), Flyer_Frank (11-26-2012), lefthook1 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLLBLUEEYZ View Post
dino ciccarelli
(notice i dont capitalize that pukes name)
Blues fans really hated him. Another player Blues fans couldn't stand was Al Secord. I personally couldn't stand Rick Vaive.
battleship25 (11-26-2012), fish7 (11-26-2012)