Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Remember When?
stuck

Old 11-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Veteran

Age diffrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleship25 View Post
Well just got my Betamax vcr fixed and job #1 was to watch the Fotiu-Probert incident on tape #57 in my Beta collection.
The only thing wrong with the VCR was the rewind didn't work. But when I opened the tape it was at the end so I couldn't rewind. So off the the repair shop it went( yes , they still have places that even fix Beta's..one of the benefits of living near Los Angeles ).
So in my vcr guide( yes I can find most of my fights ) I knew this was in a block of fights I got from Bob's brother Norm Probert. He taped the PASS (DET cable) and I edited out the fights . Luckily I kept the "incident" and watched it .
It's been a long time since I'd seen it..my first impression was "that's it?"... at some point I'm gonna get this tape converted to DVD -then at some point I'll be able ( with some wizard's help, I'll post it on here...or at least on YOUTUBE.

This is what happened :

JLA home game for the Wings against visiting Calgary. Probert hammers Cal d-man Paul Reinhart right in front of Fotiu - immediately Fotiu ( 5 feet away at the time of the hit ) drops his gloves and goes after Probert at which point the camera goes away ( this I didn't remember) by the time the camera gets there they are separated (Probie still with his gloves on) and Fotiu going to the box for a roughing penalty.

On the replay they showed when Fotiu dropped his gloves he reached out with his left hand and barely reaches Probert's jersey and releases just as quick ..seeing that Probert didn't want to fight. Twice Mickey Redmond comments that Probert wasn't afraid just getting to draw a penalty. He mentioned that a week earlier that he attempted the same thing with Wendel Clark ( that great fight at center ice at MLG where Clark fired away and Probert eventually started to fight when it was clear that Clark wasn't gonna stop).

It's still infuriating to see .. really wished they'd gone at it. But that's the way it goes. When I get it copied maybe I can send it to someone on here and they could upload it to youtube. On the same tape is the Geoff Benic Dennis Vial OHA HW classic..truly one of the best fights I've seen . Gotta get that one uploaded.

Also on the tape was the two incidents with Jack Carlson (in Min). First he and JK almost go then as Carlson's going to the box he pops Probert - which enrages Probert who desperately tries to get at Carlson. The next one is when behind the play Carlson gets drawn into a penalty after being turned down by Probert.

Some other fun stuff on there:
Nilan (in white MTL ) vs Basil MacRae (DET) in JLA Nilan really beats the pi$$ out of poor old Basil.
B.Wilson and Martinson ..not much, but fun to see Behn in the Stadium (CHI)
Kordic(MTL)- MacRae in Que at center ice pretty even.

When I get this uploaded I'm sure the Fotiu fans will think Probert was scared, worried,etc and the Probert fans will see that he 's just drawing the penalty.
I'm a huge Probert fan and I never cared much for Fotiu( to say the least) - but to me if Bob was afraid or worried or whatever ....why hit a good player (gloves very high) deliberately in front of Fotiu. He knew Fotiu was there and knew he'd take the bait..which NF did. But hell I wish he would've fought him.

On a humorous note: M.Redmond called giant EDM d-man Jeff Bookebomb !!! Awesome
Battleship, keep in mind that by the time Fotiu played for Calgary, for the most part, his best days were behind him. In the few games I was able to see him play for Calgary in those years he seemed to be a guy living off his reputation, well earned, in earlier years. By the time of the '' incident '', I believe both Fotiu and Probert knew that if it came to blows, Probert would be the victor 19 out of 20 times. Keep in mind Fotiu was born in 1952, Probert was born in 1965. That's a 13 year age difference. Both guys in their prime it would have been something to see, but at this point in his career, I thought Fotiu was more of an actor than a fighter.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edwardraffoni For This Useful Post:
battleship25 (11-06-2012), mikebflorida (11-06-2012), srehm1 (11-06-2012)
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardraffoni View Post
Battleship, keep in mind that by the time Fotiu played for Calgary, for the most part, his best days were behind him. In the few games I was able to see him play for Calgary in those years he seemed to be a guy living off his reputation, well earned, in earlier years. By the time of the '' incident '', I believe both Fotiu and Probert knew that if it came to blows, Probert would be the victor 19 out of 20 times. Keep in mind Fotiu was born in 1952, Probert was born in 1965. That's a 13 year age difference. Both guys in their prime it would have been something to see, but at this point in his career, I thought Fotiu was more of an actor than a fighter.
Fotiu may not qualify for the selctive (over the hill waiver)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the decision that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." Fear always springs from ignorance."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 11-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Veteran

Qualify

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddaBing Badda Boom View Post
Fotiu may not qualify for the selctive (over the hill waiver)
This wasn't selective. The guy in Calgasry bore no resemblance to the young aggressive tiger in New York. The guy in New York was a much more willing combatant than the old guy in Calgary.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardraffoni View Post
This wasn't selective. The guy in Calgasry bore no resemblance to the young aggressive tiger in New York. The guy in New York was a much more willing combatant than the old guy in Calgary.
I get it and thanks for including Fotiu. Even though at 40 I still think he would have been fine
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the decision that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." Fear always springs from ignorance."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Following User Says Thank You to BaddaBing Badda Boom For This Useful Post:
edwardraffoni (11-10-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddaBing Badda Boom View Post
I get it and thanks for including Fotiu. Even though at 40 I still think he would have been fine
At 40 he fought one of his own players in Link Gaetz!

They can fill the net on this guy tonight!
Phil Esposito
The Following User Says Thank You to bigjack For This Useful Post:
edwardraffoni (11-10-2012)