Old 09-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2,5,10GameMatch View Post
Kordic won the lone fight with Kocur, it was an untelevised exhibition game at MLG, I have footage of it on one of my old tapes....
Did Kordic drop him by any chance? The only info I've ever heard on this fight is that there is also a news clip floating around somewhere that shows the two going toe-to-toe before the broadcast flips back to the announcer, who says that the fight ended with a knockdown.

Last edited by jayc948; 09-22-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc948 View Post
Did Kordic drop him by any chance? The only info I've ever heard on this fight is that there is also a news clip floating around somewhere that shows the two going toe-to-toe before the broadcast flips back to the announcer, who says that the fight ended with a knockdown.
I havent seen the footage I have of this fight in years but what it doesnt show is the ending either (from what I recall), its possible Kordic dropped Kocur although I dont remember 100%, what I do remember is that Kocur tried to fight lefty in this fight attempting to tie up Kordic's left with his right arm with zero success, thus leading to him absorbing some shots from Kordic, the MLG crowd was overly happy that one of the bruise brothers had taken a loss to a Leaf because it rarely happened..

"Sut ma Dit" - Mike Tyson

Godspeed Mr. Iommi, May you slay Cancer and send it to Hell!!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Hall of Famer

I actually heard that Kocur dropped Kordic.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T800m101 View Post
That NEVER happened!! you heard wrong, I dont think enyone EVER dropped Kordic, closest I saw anyone come was Domi.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
That's what I had heard as well.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Veteran

101 in 7

One hundred and one penalty minutes in seven games for the Washington Capitals during the 1990-91 season. Projected over a full season that would come out to about one thousand and eighty minutes. The first time I saw Kordic play he had these obscene looking scabs on every one of his knuckles. Some of the guys on this site that we talk about are what I call 'helmet punchers', guys who just throw and don't particularly care what they hit as long as they hit something attached to the other guy. I recently read a story about former heavyweight boxing champ Rocky Marciano. During one of his fights he hit his opponent so hard and so often he fractured both of this guys forearms. This poor bastard also had blood clots form on his arms that were so thick they had to be surgically removed. The fact that John Kordic died in a psychotic frenzy was hardly a surprise given his history and behavior as an NHL player. Too much coke. Too much violence. Too much NHL. Too much too much. Rest in Peace, Johnnie. God knows you found too little of it while you lived.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pockmarx For This Useful Post:
2,5,10GameMatch (09-23-2010), Billy Sherman (09-23-2010), bzane (09-23-2010), DARCY T (09-23-2010), Juha82 (09-23-2010), Shoryuken (09-23-2010), srehm1 (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemaker View Post
That's what I had heard as well.
Are you kidding me?? where did you hear this ??? I saw this fight live and the MLG faithful was going bonkers after because Kordic beat Kocur, Kocur had his way with almost every guy he ever fought in blue and white but on this night it didnt go his way......and if you tell me you heard this on DYG?? Then you're as naive as the other guy who said "I heard Kordic was dropped"!!

Listen man Kordic was never dropped by anyone,he arguably had the best chin of alltime, if Kocur had of dropped him I'd admit it but its pure bullshiat, he lost the only fight he had with John Kordic at the visitiors blueline in Maple Leaf Gardens 20 years ago.

Now I'm inspired to dig this bastid out and give the blow by blow.

Last edited by 2,5,10GameMatch; 09-23-2010 at 01:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2,5,10GameMatch For This Useful Post:
Billy Sherman (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 02:07 PM
All-Star

I saw a brief clip of this fight. If I'm remembering right, they were both on the ice and Kocur landed a right to the back of Kordic's head. That's all I can recall. How they both got to the ice, I don't know. What's really annoying is the fact these two guys spent two years together in the Norris division and we only have one fight to discuss.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:28 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2,5,10GameMatch View Post

Now I'm inspired to dig this bastid out and give the blow by blow.
Please ?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockmarx View Post
One hundred and one penalty minutes in seven games for the Washington Capitals during the 1990-91 season. Projected over a full season that would come out to about one thousand and eighty minutes. The first time I saw Kordic play he had these obscene looking scabs on every one of his knuckles. Some of the guys on this site that we talk about are what I call 'helmet punchers', guys who just throw and don't particularly care what they hit as long as they hit something attached to the other guy. I recently read a story about former heavyweight boxing champ Rocky Marciano. During one of his fights he hit his opponent so hard and so often he fractured both of this guys forearms. This poor bastard also had blood clots form on his arms that were so thick they had to be surgically removed. The fact that John Kordic died in a psychotic frenzy was hardly a surprise given his history and behavior as an NHL player. Too much coke. Too much violence. Too much NHL. Too much too much. Rest in Peace, Johnnie. God knows you found too little of it while you lived.
By the point he reached the Caps he was totally nuts, induced by long-term drug abuse, steriod abuse, alcoholism and serious, unresolved psychological issues mainly stemming from his father's death. What happened to him was a real shame, although its a lot more difficult to save a person from themselves than any other person..

Ive got his biography somewhere, not read it in ages though as I cant find it. Its an excellent read, Id highly recommend it to anyone who hasnt read it
Old 09-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Hall of Famer

John Kordic was one of my early favorites and first Habs tough guy I actually liked. Even though I loved my bruins and rooted against him in every fight against us - I knew he was a legit fighter. Definitely not one to be taken lightly. Loved his battles with Miller and co. Some real classic battles right there. His style was awesome and instantly recognizable. A machine gun southpaw, with that nice little crossover mixed in. Always coming at you with great handspeed. Most of the time right handers found themselves forced into fighting him left handed - he was just great at getting you to fight his fight. Huge head and jaw, a guy who could take a serious punch. He was also very strong and could also go the long haul so he wasn't necessarily a one dimensional style, all toe to toe fighter.

Kordic was great from juniors on up. After I picked up my 'Bruise Brothers' tape, Kordic's fight tape was one of the first I grabbed, although it was incomplete at the time. As time went on and I picked up more of his footage, I was convinced he was truly a great fighter. Very, very few losses and proved that speed kills. For a guy who didn't knock out a ton of guys and wasn't known for power displays - he had a lot of nice beatdown wins. In his prime a top-5 fighter for sure, but his career was fairly brief. I'm not sure where I would rank him, possibly in the 25-30 range or so. The short term/short prime guys are always very tough to rank. I could pick out any number of great fighters who get "points" for their own longevity, but few that were as electric as Kordic was once that left was going.

It's also tough to rank him because we don't have those big fights with the guys that were the best of his day, namely Probert and Brown. Brown pitched a shutout against Kordic in their only fight, although this was a Quebec Nordique version of Kordic who was going down that slippery slope. He also had that now infamous backpeddle job when he squared off with a prime time Probert. I still maintain the linesmen got in their early hahaha

I'm not sure why but Nilan seemed to be the guy who took on Brown, maybe it was discussed beforehand. Or maybe - just maybe - Kordic knew what his own limitations were and knew that Brown was too much for him. I always felt that Brown would have done great against any version of Kordic. On the flip side, I always felt that Kordic would have done great against an '85 or '86 version of Probert. After that he would have had some serious issue as Probert entered his prime, but that's just my opinion.

After Kordic I found myself liking a few other Habs fighters - simply for their pure ability to fight and their different qualities. I loved Todd Ewen for his mean streak, strength and intimidation. I also loved Mario Roberge for his great technique and handspeed. I even wound up grudgingly liking Nilan in hindsight as a great refined, technical fighter with a dirty, nasty side to him. I'll still never forgive him for the butt end to Middleton though. I digress...

Kordic is still one of my all time favorites - I was psyched to eventually pick up his two fights against Serge Roberge in the AHL. Loved seeing the machine gun style of Kordic matched up with the technique and handspeed/accuracy of Serge. Great styles! Great fights! Rambo was great at every level. I also picked up his biography and agree it is a great read, one you will not be disappointed in. It's interesting that John's father disapporoved of his son becoming a pure fighter - only to have his younger son do very much the same thing (a good fighter also!). I always wondered about a hypothetical John vs. Dan matchup and how that would go since they were such different fighters. I believe they may have been close to going in a game once but Dave Brown stepped in and took on John instead.
Of course Behn Wilson lost only a "few" fights. He played in an era where several "great" fighters lost only a "few" fights. Does that make his era so incredibly "great"? Or does it make it incredibly "weak"?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to srehm1 For This Useful Post:
2,5,10GameMatch (09-26-2010), battleship25 (09-23-2010), BENNETTWOLF (09-23-2010), bzane (09-23-2010), DARCY T (09-26-2010), GIANTSFAN (09-23-2010), jayc948 (09-23-2010), mongoose (09-26-2010), Playfair 27 (09-24-2010), Shoryuken (09-23-2010), smashem (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Hall of Famer

A prime Kordic would lose vs Brown because Kordic had trouble fighting lefties like Brown, Domi & Donnelly.
battleship25 (09-23-2010)
Old 09-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Kocur was no Dave Brown. The 21 year old Kordic who broke into the league in late 85-86 (before the drugs), was about the most devastating lefty I had seen, he was too fast for everyone then. Once he bulked up it slowed him down some, but he was greased lightning for a spell, before someone introduced him to the shiat.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Hall of Famer

I have a very reliable source that Kocur did indeed drop Kordic.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Possible TKO?