hockeyfights.com forums

hockeyfights.com forums (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/)
-   Remember When? (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Godard, Eric - giant killa! - how does he fare? (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f18/godard-eric-giant-killa-how-does-he-fare-178567/)

BaddaBing Badda Boom 11-05-2012 06:00 PM

Godard, Eric - giant killa! - how does he fare?

With the advent of Eric Godard's retirement: - How would have this killer of giants and sometimes reluctant warrior fared against your top 5 ?? Is he worthy of consideration for a top 20 consideration? Should he become part of the discussion?

Golden Gloves22 11-05-2012 06:51 PM

I would not consider him in a top 20, but I think he is capable of beating almost anyone at any time. Think he would have problems with Probert of course, but has the ability to beat him too, as well as Brown, Wilson, Kocur, Gillies- the top dogs in my book. I see those guys getting the best of him more often than not as they all were killers and Godard tended to show up in spots. Im sure someone can do a more knowledgable break down.

Golden Gloves22 11-05-2012 08:43 PM

Although I am sure someone could make a case for him in the top 20, as he could hang in with the best, his spotty effort to me, ultimately works against his legacy, imo.

BaddaBing Badda Boom 11-05-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Gloves22 (Post 2525038)
Although I am sure someone could make a case for him in the top 20, as he could hang in with the best, his spotty effort to me, ultimately works against his legacy, imo.

I hear ya - guys like this are a real conundrum to place. You have guys like Wilson with 98 fights over 10 years (do the math) - The most vaunted victories for Wilson: 1x Clark Gillies - 1x Wendl Clark - 2x O'Reilly 1 or two edges against Plett thats where it ends.....

Godard had victories over:
Domi
Mckenzie
Brashear
Simon
Cairns
Mcintyre
Boogard
Orr
Erskine
Fritz
Orr
Boulton
etc...

Surly, this eclipses Wilson's card and should allow Godard at least a seat at the table to negotiate his place

D Y B FLYERS 11-05-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Gloves22 (Post 2524999)
I would not consider him in a top 20, but I think he is capable of beating almost anyone at any time. Think he would have problems with Probert of course, but has the ability to beat him too, as well as Brown, Wilson, Kocur, Gillies- the top dogs in my book. I see those guys getting the best of him more often than not as they all were killers and Godard tended to show up in spots. Im sure someone can do a more knowledgable break down.

I am not great with these lists, but your thoughts are pretty much the same as mine. I'd have him outside of the top 20, but at the same time I think he is more than capable of being able to beat the top guys. As someone else pointed out in the Godard retirement thread, he seemed to fight on the level of his competition, and often times these were so-so fighters. He fought, and has wins against several of the HW's of the last 10 years, but he was inconsistent in maintaining that ability to be the champ.

BaddaBing Badda Boom 11-06-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D Y B FLYERS (Post 2525072)
I am not great with these lists, but your thoughts are pretty much the same as mine. I'd have him outside of the top 20, but at the same time I think he is more than capable of being able to beat the top guys. As someone else pointed out in the Godard retirement thread, he seemed to fight on the level of his competition, and often times these were so-so fighters. He fought, and has wins against several of the HW's of the last 10 years, but he was inconsistent in maintaining that ability to be the champ.

Understand your point about Godard's inconsistency, however, I would argue that if they swapped cards am willing to bet that Godard would fare pretty darn well not too sure that Wilson would enjoy his vaunted status had he had instead to deal with Godard's resume/card. I mean does Wilson chop down the Boogard, McIntyres, Brashears, Erskines?

RetardedChimp 11-06-2012 07:41 AM

Agree with everyone else on this one.

BENNETTWOLF 11-06-2012 02:35 PM

The only newer guy i currently have in my top 25 is Wade Belak who also started earlier and was able to fight a few legends most of the current crop couldn't face. I do think godard, who i like a good deal merits consideration.

It's just that i'm not nearly as familiar with exact particulars of the newer age guys cards and careers as i am the older ones. Heck, that even includes BGL.

Just for fun, i'm going to look up godard's top ten rankings here. I figure he was a fixture for about a decade right smack in the middle (4-8). That says something in any era and his began pre-lockout.

Certainly deserving of a thorough examination as far as all time status.

BENNETTWOLF 11-06-2012 02:44 PM

Just for the curious, here are godard's rankings according to merlin which stop at 2009-10.

Before the lockout in 2002-03, godard ranked #8

He didn't rank again until 05-06

05-06: #6
06-07: #6
07-08: #7
08-09: #4
09-10: #5

Killah_punk 11-06-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BENNETTWOLF (Post 2525204)
Just for the curious, here are godard's rankings according to merlin which stop at 2009-10.

Before the lockout in 2002-03, godard ranked #8

He didn't rank again until 05-06

05-06: #6
06-07: #6
07-08: #7
08-09: #4
09-10: #5

Not to mention Godard also ranked well in the AHL against some pretty tough hombres.

2004-05: #2 This was the lockout season and the AHL was stacked that year just look at the top 10 from that season!
2006-07: #7 Despite only playing 36 game in the AHL.

I couldn't find any rankings for AHL Top 10 prior to 2004. However 01-02 and 02-03 Godard was top 5 maybe even champ.
I have a feeling Godard would of fared well against some of the all time greats, similar to Jim McKenzie.

mikebflorida 11-07-2012 12:28 PM

By my numbers, I have Godard 19th all time. Maybe a tad bit high for some but his skills put him there and he has a decorated fight card and some huge wins.

His skills are a notch below the all time greats but certainly better than the lower ranked guys. I have him ranked just above Glen Cochrane and just below Stu Grimson.

Comparing him to Wilson is retarded, Wilson was a much better fighter and "had he faced a similar card" he'd have more fights and more wins.

Where do you come up with this shyt BBBB?

Skill wise, it's not even close, Wilson was one of the best ever, played in a different era, with fewer fights and much more spontaneous action unlike the 90's and 2000's where guys would politely ask each other to fight, it was practically staged, talked about before the game even and guys racked up a lot of majors and not much else because that's all they did.

You can just stop trying to tear down Behn Wilson, Dave Brown, and Joe Kocur, they earned their reputations and their places in history, I'm just not sure why you think it's your job to make them look bad, it really gets annoying because the stuff you say is just bunk.

I like Boobs 11-07-2012 01:38 PM

What is truly hilarious is people ripping on Wilson's 98 fights in 10 years (retired early due to a bad back) and they lionize guys who had half that total hiding behind linesmen, fighting rookies.

For the record Godard had 101 regular season fights in parts of 11 seasons. He was sent down often. Wilson was an All Star defenseman who set rookie defenseman records in scoring and PIMs, playing in the NHL directly from Juniors. No up and down trips from the minors.

Not saying that to rip on Godard, just to clear up any misconceptions.The problem with Godard is that he was only dominant on occasion. He had the potential to be dominant but he seemed to fight to the level of his opponent and that's the difference between "good" and "great".

When he first broke into the league and beat Brashear in the pre season, he was the "Great White Hope." Over time he put up good fights but he'd look bad against guys he should destroy like Hal Gill. Even a tough defenseman like Bryan Marchment thumped him:
Eric Godard Vs Byan Marchment - YouTube

Than he'd beat monsters like Boogard and MacIntyre. But McGrattan always beat him. He fought Brashear tough, and the Laraque fights weren't much... Had great give and take battles with Orr and beat Simon.

Had all the tools just never developed into that force I thought he would be.

GOON 21 11-07-2012 02:08 PM

My goodness what does Wilson have to do with Godard?

If you have him in the top 20 would you rank him ahead of fellow Islander Erc Cairns? Thats a legit question, Cairns was a lil inconsistent early on but became a monster for a couple of years and a lil more dangerous/bigger puncher than Godard - Cairns was really dangerous!

Im a big Godard fan, but hes not worthy of top 20 all time --- YESSS he could beat anyone in the top 20 on a good night (I TRULY believe he could) no doubt about that, but he simply had 2 many occasionsn where he didnt show up enough to be worthy of top 20 a bit more consistency and passion would help him but he was truly capable of beating anyone on a given night

Its to soon to rank him, but maybe in the 35-50 range is a consideration, (all time) which is no knock on him, he was a helluva fighter and 1 of my favs

:)

BaddaBing Badda Boom 11-07-2012 02:31 PM

BBBB simply asked if Godard deserves to be part of the conversation now that he retired. Sorry if this strains your capabilities. Simply said if you swapped their respective cards Wilson would have the tougher draw IMHO - You can slice and dice that as you wish, infer, interpret it how you might - It is pretty straight forward

I like Boobs 11-07-2012 02:55 PM

Even in threads with nothing to do with Wilson, Kocur or Brown you drag them in... Your "who me" nonsense is a joke. We all know what you were doing, just do everyone a favor and go somewhere else with your agenda. It's old and tired.