Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Remember When?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Coach

Chris Simon - the No Fight Washington years

A lot of people like to talk about Chris Simon being a great all time fighter. But why is it he is given a pass for barely fighting for Almost SIX YEARS! This was a guy that dominated with Quebec/Colorado but barely fought for his entire stint as a Capital. Now granted he had some injuries but in years where he played, he didn't fight much, for example:

1996-1997 - 44gp, 9 fights. Beat Ewen, Vial, Houda and was beaten twice by Janssens

1997-1998 - 28gp, 1 fight against Reid Simpson where he did nothing.

1998-1999 - 23gp, 1 fight against Sean Brown that was again nothing.

1999-2000 - 75gp, 6 fights. Gets a slight edge over Wayne Primeau, Beats Andre Roy, Got beaten and bloodied by Alexander Karpotsev of all people!!!, Beat Rob Ray and had two **** draws with Tamer and Sean Brown.

2000-2001 - 60gp, ZERO Fights.

2001-2002 - 82gp, 12 fights. Beaten twice by McAllister, Beat Dingman, took a loss in a weird fight against Chara, Beat Chris Neil and Dingman again, Before beating Hordichuk in a beauty, and taking a decision against Dan Lacouture, had a couple of draws with Bryce Salvador before drawing with Neil.

2002-2003 10gp, 1 fight, lost to Keith Primeau.

That's about as unimpressive as a guy can be for over half a decade. This really takes away from Simon's career and affects his status all time IMO. I don't know how the Simon apologists will spin this one, but I'd love to hear some opinions.

"Let's get out of this sh*thole."
Phil Esposito, on Winnipeg, after Team Canada lost game 3 of the 1972 series to the Russians.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to I like Boobs For This Useful Post:
battleship25 (03-17-2012), BENNETTWOLF (03-18-2012), blockerpunch (03-20-2012), djaye (03-18-2012), ewen21 (03-17-2012), Gunslinger (03-17-2012), Humpzilla (03-17-2012), kam (03-18-2012), Maggie3and Me (03-17-2012), miller29 (03-18-2012), NJDevils17 (03-19-2012), Shoryuken (03-18-2012), srehm1 (03-17-2012), Vindigidy (03-17-2012)
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Hall of Famer

There is no spin for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to ewen21 For This Useful Post:
I like Boobs (03-17-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Hall of Famer

But... but... but.. he beat Brown and Probert!! he had shoulder problems. he stopped drinking. he became a goal scorer and more valuable to his team. he started dating and didn't want to take his girl out with shiners and scars on his face.

How about this: He was so feared at that point that no one wanted any part of him. It works for the fotiu crowd right?? Why not here?
battleship25 (03-17-2012), blockerpunch (03-20-2012), CBarnes (03-17-2012), I like Boobs (03-17-2012), Maggie3and Me (03-17-2012), miller29 (03-18-2012), turk (01-06-2014)
Old 03-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Hey, he did beat joel otto in there somewhere (96-97?)

GD.
The Following User Says Thank You to BENNETTWOLF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Hall of Famer

I've always thought i was in the minority about simon. He's generally in my last few in a top 20 because of a lack of consistency. He did occasionally impress after colorado but was never quite the same. He looked great at his best even in washington but outside of really taking it to todd ewen and hurting rob ray accomplished little.

In contrast a lot of vets that weren't nearly as overwhelming looking like baumgartner, nilan, Tim Hunter, Jmac might have better resumes. Different criteria are weighted by different people and some might credit him with being top 3 for a stretch heavily. Generally i'm a "glass half full guy" and maybe i'm critical of chris but fighters hold wins over everyone without automatically being top 10..............Bob Mcgill, Todd Ewen, Kevin Mclelland Certainly Chris Nilan etc.

He's a guy i should look over closely to evaluate and see where my thoughts are accurate or not. Maybe count how many fights he lost his balance in for fun

GD.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BENNETTWOLF For This Useful Post:
I like Boobs (03-17-2012), Maggie3and Me (03-17-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Coach

With regards to fighting stats the years that Simon played:

1996-1997 - there was a total of 997 fights in the league. Washington had 83 fighting majors. Simon had 9 of those fights.

1997-1998 - there was a total of 945 fights in the league. Washington had 55 of those. Simon had 1 of those fights.

1998-1999 - there was a total of 734 fights in the league, the Washington Capitals had 65 of those. Simon had 1 of those fights.

1999-2000 - there was a total of 658 fights in the league, the Washington Capitals had 38 of those (third least in the league). Simon had 6 of these fights.

2000-2001 - there was a total of 753 fights in the league, the Washington Capitals had 34 of those. Simon had ZERO of these fights.

2001-2002 - there was a total of 860 fights in the league, the Washington Capitals had 59 of those. Simon had 12 of those.

You get the idea. Combine his complete lack of fighting and his poor overall results.... I'm just left with the idea that Simon could have and should have been fighting more.

Phil Esposito, on Winnipeg, after Team Canada lost game 3 of the 1972 series to the Russians.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I like Boobs For This Useful Post:
CBarnes (03-17-2012), Humpzilla (03-17-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Hall of Famer

You really do have your knickers in a twist, don't you?

Let me suggest the following which may alleviate your suffering: Lie on the couch try to get Chris Simon out of your thoughts, think of something pleasant, think about your childhood days - as a matter of fact, In the same spirit of "No Bruin ever lost a fight"- How about this, this may really help - Chris Simon never existed!

Now keep repeating that, "Chris Simon never existed", "Chris Simon never existed" ----- good, you are doing very well - Now watch the following films that depict the goodness of people, this will help as well:

brashear vs chris simon - YouTube

Bob Probert vs. Chris Simon - YouTube

Chris Simon vs. Tie Domi - YouTube

Chris Simon vs Dave Brown Round 1 - YouTube

I mean why re-invent the wheel?
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the decision that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." Fear always springs from ignorance."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Hall of Famer

BBBB, all those fights you posted are from early in his career. What does that have to do with his Washington days?
blockerpunch (03-20-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddaBing Badda Boom View Post

Let me suggest the following which may alleviate your suffering: Lie on the couch try to get Chris Simon out of your thoughts, think of something pleasant, think about your childhood days - as a matter of fact, In the same spirit of "No Bruin ever lost a fight"- How about this, this may really help - Chris Simon never existed!

Now keep repeating that, "Chris Simon never existed", "Chris Simon never existed" ----- good, you are doing very well - Now watch the following films that depict the goodness of people, this will help as well:

Not saying he wasn't a great fighter by any stretch but as i mentioned many lesser fighters have multiple wins over major opponents to tout. Mcgill beat kocur (possibly more than once), probert, playfair etc. Chris Nilan may be his polar opposite but holds many, many huge wins. Todd Ewen knocked probert cold and dropped twist. It is a major feather for chris that he never lost to either brown or probert. Might have been different if he had fought those two earlier or caught brash later on down the road.

Not even saying i'm right but the last time i did my 20, i felt comfortable with CY in the lowest 5.

GD.

Last edited by BENNETTWOLF; 03-17-2012 at 12:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BENNETTWOLF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Hall of Famer

If he had kept up his Que/Col pace and continued getting the big wins and remained in the top-3 or so for those washington years-I would have no problem with him being in the top-10 discussion. So his inactivity in washington does effect his ranking. he was awesome with Que/Col and was still young and full of fire-then he went to washington and he faded. When he came back to prominence, it was 03-04 and the HW landscape had changed. He was kind of a dangerous veteran HW as opposed to the beast he once was. He was still good and because of his overall longevity and the fact he was still a good fighter late in his career, i rank him in the 17-21 range.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by srehm1 View Post
BBBB, all those fights you posted are from early in his career. What does that have to do with his Washington days?
early in one's career, middle of one's career, end of one's career -----

I have said it before, when it comes to this selective attribution of this, "well, that was at the end of his career, that explains this loss, this KO, KD, TKO, etc... or That was at the beginning of one's career, and "he really did not have a resume yet, still learning, as it were....

Well you have not heard anything yet, because ----- It is my contention that Simon peaks early, does really well, has a lull with the middle of his career and then, finishes with a flurry -So, there is no need to say, well, that was Simon's twilight, cut him some lack - You never hear that about him, meaning there is something that grates people about him on the inside, seperate from fighting - Yeah! it shall be said of Simon when discussing his Washington years, "oh, that was the middle of his career, give him a break, cut him some slack -

The dude was an early bloomer, a dormant winter, and a late bloomer as well
2 out of 3 not bad - Selective excuse finding at its finest!
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the decision that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." Fear always springs from ignorance."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
early in one's career, middle of one's career, end of one's career -----

I have said it before, when it comes to this selective attribution of this, "well, that was at the end of his career, that explains this loss, this KO, KD, TKO, etc... or That was at the beginning of one's career, and "he really did not have a resume yet, still learning, as it were....

Well you have not heard anything yet, because ----- It is my contention that Simon peaks early, does really well, has a lull with the middle of his career and then, finishes with a flurry -So, there is no need to say, well, that was Simon's twilight, cut him some lack - You never hear that about him, meaning there is something that grates people about him on the inside, seperate from fighting - Yeah! it shall be said of Simon when discussing his Washington years, "oh, that was the middle of his career, give him a break, cut him some slack -

The dude was an early bloomer, a dormant winter, and a late bloomer as well
2 out of 3 not bad - Selective excuse finding at its finest!
simon was a great fighter early in his career. no one is disputing that. Simon had a resurgence later in his career. no one is disputing that. now with all that said-this thread is discussing his washington days. what part of that do you not understand? If it were a thread on his overall career or his early days, your videos would be relevent. get on topic man!
Old 03-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Coach

Quote:

There's not one Washington fight there buddy. Which - as the title of the thread would suggest - the discussion is about. How can you justify Simon simply disappearing for the better half of a decade? His results are mediocre at best during this period. No other great fighter that I'm aware of gets a five year hiatus bonus in rankings. I'm pretty sure if Kocur, Wilson or Brown took a 5 year period away, the board would be on it's seven millionth fantasy matchup on why they weren't able to beat Buchberger.

Explain to me why Simon didn't fight ONCE in a season where he played 60 games. Explain to me how from 1997-1998 to 2000-2001, Simon had a total of 8 fights in 186 games with his only wins against Rob Ray and Andre Roy and loses to Alexander Karpotsev with a couple of no good fights with Sean Brown and Chris Tamer? Lol and that's an all-timer??? You rag constantly on Kocur for losing to Raglan but Simon was beaten and bloodied by a non fighting Russian!

Simon's Washington Fights:

Langdon winning on points -

Chris Simon vs Darren Langdon Round 1 -...

Dropped by Janssens:

Chris Simon vs Mark Janssens Round 1 -...

Beaten by Janssens again:

Chris Simon vs Mark Janssens Round 2 -...

Losing to McAllister:

Chris Simon vs Chris McAllister Round 1 -...

Losing to McAllister again:

Chris Simon vs Chris McAllister Round 2 -...
Noticed he "fell" to end the fight?

Karpovtsev showing Simon who's boss, busting him up:
Chris Simon vs Alexander Karpovtsev - YouTube

Simon hurt by Primeau:

Keith Primeau vs Chris Simon - YouTube

Chara taking him to task:

Chris Simon vs Zdeno Chara Round 1 - YouTube

Reid Simpson mauling Simon:

Chris Simon vs Reid Simpson - YouTube

All losses in Simon's "prime." Please explain these and how they could have happened to such a legend.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I like Boobs For This Useful Post:
ewen21 (03-18-2012), OLLBLUEEYZ (01-06-2014)
Old 03-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Hall of Famer

BBBB has spoken!

BBBB will now commence with his 1 mile swim in the beautiful Atlantic Ocean, not thinking of Chris Simon. I feel like i have been ambushed, no fear, at 56 years old...enjoyed it - Surely, you can do better than 3 against 1.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Boobs,

To take the Simon issue one step further, in November of 2002, he is traded to the Blackhawks.

In his career with the Hawks, which totaled 61 games, as he was signed by the Rangers as a free agent the summer of 2003, he had a total of 7 fights. His stay here was not very impressive, compiling 125 lackluster PIMís.

He fought:
Kevin Sawyer
Aaron Downey
Brad Brown
Jamie Allison
Bob Boughner
Scott Parker
Dan Focht.

Of this group, only Downey and Parker would be considered to be in the same class as Simon. He lost both fights. To me, while he was here in Chicago, he was just going thru the motions.

The Simon legend and his all time rankings, with time grows and grows
You canít help but recall all the stories about Pinocchioís nose,
battleship25 (03-17-2012), I like Boobs (03-17-2012), kam (03-18-2012), OLLBLUEEYZ (01-06-2014)