Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Remember When?
investigation

Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Hall of Famer

I Like Boobs-

Thanks for bringing sanity back to this thread.

On topic- Fotiu could have been a goal scorer in New York, maybe if he played on a line with say, Esposito, he might have scored 12 goals or maybe 20 or maybe 30, who knows?

Fotiu was a banger and had a "reputation" of being a fighter so that's how the coach used him. Done, end of story.

Don Cherry may have used him differently but that's just speculation. Why don't you ask Cherry? Can't you email him?

The legend of Fotiu grows ever more. Now, he would have been a 20 goal scorer for Boston and have doubled his fight total. Sweet.
I like Boobs (12-04-2012)
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like Boobs View Post
The main point wasn't about Fotiu's low fight totals Ranger fan although he himself admits he fought little. The main point was that the fact he wasn't a 20 goal scorer, and that even during his years where he abandoned fighting almost completely he only scored 10. That's a career high. And the guy that he was compared to - Wensink - scored and fought much more.

Fotiu accomplished a heck of a lot for a guy with such a late start (missed that one in your snide drive by I guess) but was never a great player. Good hitter though.

Were you going to suggest Fotiu was somehow an elite power forward with high scoring and fight totals?
That was me boobs regarding the late start in life and playing in Staten Island not exactly a hotbed of hockey breeding grounds lol

Was the Pom Poms out for Fotiu in this thread? Some of the anti Fotiu stuff makes me scratch my head as well, its a cool rare pic i just leave it at that

*shrugs*
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GOON 21 For This Useful Post:
Howatt8 (12-06-2012), pesadillamal (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawl lover View Post
For someone that speaks out so loudly on repetitive Fotiu posts about how great he was you are just as repetitive on the opposite end of the discission.
Watch out or he will sneak in and sensor you. For a guy that supposedly likes hockey fighting he is extremely "touchy-feely" - u hit a nerve. Its a shame. Perhaps the other moderators will take note and deep six em
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the decision that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." Fear always springs from ignorance."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
The main point wasn't about Fotiu's low fight totals Ranger fan although he himself admits he fought little. The main point was that the fact he wasn't a 20 goal scorer, and that even during his years where he abandoned fighting almost completely he only scored 10. That's a career high. And the guy that he was compared to - Wensink - scored and fought much more.

Fotiu accomplished a heck of a lot for a guy with such a late start (missed that one in your snide drive by I guess) but was never a great player. Good hitter though.

Were you going to suggest Fotiu was somehow an elite power forward with high scoring and fight totals?
Sorry the first paragraph of your post was about his fight totals. That is usually the main topic of a post. I wasn't really suggesting anything other than repetitiveness of your opinion of Fotiu...not unlike your pointing out of others repetitiveness of their opinion. I would suggest that used differently and on a line with O'reilly it is quite possible that Fotiu could score 20 goals. He could also have fought 20-25 times a year. One never knows.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Coach

Yes one never knows other than in 600 games neither scenario ever came close to happening. I don't see why you guys try and rewrite history on a regular basis. Fotiu was what he was - hard hitting fourth line goon. Not that talented but got to the show on hard work and toughness, but didn't fight much when there for whatever reasons. Trying to make him a powerforward years later is just into BBBB's level of lies and delusions.

Goon I used to be a fan of Fotiu until his acolytes ruined it for me. I agree with your last post completely.

BBBB I haven't received your usual whiny PM about why you can't make your 7000th thread about the same topic and how you're rich enough to buy your way into anything. You're slipping. Your threads get deleted when they're the same ones over and over - do a search through the history - you've got about 8 topics on "twitching" and well over a 100 combined about Kocur, Wilson and Brown. Many of them word for word the same. You need a lot of help that I'm not qualified to provide. Best of luck.

"Let's get out of this sh*thole."
Phil Esposito, on Winnipeg, after Team Canada lost game 3 of the 1972 series to the Russians.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Hall of Famer

Sorry for fueling the fire guys!

Gentleman, sorry for getting the kettle going on this site's main lightning rod, Nick Fotiu.

Yes, I'm a proponent of Nick but no he doesn't leap buildings at a single bound, save babies from train tracks or rescue people from burning buildings.

He is not a top 10 All-Time fighter by any means, he didn't fight nearly as much as I would have liked or felt was needed and he lost some fights he clearly shouldn't have.

That being said, it very unfortunate that some posters are "promoting" him into areas where he shouldn't be and in "relentlessly" doing so, causing a character guy with alot of upside to be villianized. This is a real shame in my opinion.

My post projecting him as a 20 goal scorer with the Bruins was clearly speculation on my part and was meant not just as a reflection of his ability, agreed or disagreed, but more to a testiment of IMO, the greatest "fighters" coach in the NHL, Don Cherry.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spiderarms For This Useful Post:
battleship25 (12-03-2012), I like Boobs (12-04-2012), Killah_punk (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawl lover View Post
Sorry the first paragraph of your post was about his fight totals. That is usually the main topic of a post. I wasn't really suggesting anything other than repetitiveness of your opinion of Fotiu...not unlike your pointing out of others repetitiveness of their opinion. I would suggest that used differently and on a line with O'reilly it is quite possible that Fotiu could score 20 goals. He could also have fought 20-25 times a year. One never knows.
This is the way a Fotiu thread usually runs: Think of it as a train: There are those that like to keep it on track against those that try to knock it off track.
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the decision that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." Fear always springs from ignorance."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderarms View Post
Gentleman, sorry for getting the kettle going on this site's main lightning rod, Nick Fotiu.

Yes, I'm a proponent of Nick but no he doesn't leap buildings at a single bound, save babies from train tracks or rescue people from burning buildings.

He is not a top 10 All-Time fighter by any means, he didn't fight nearly as much as I would have liked or felt was needed and he lost some fights he clearly shouldn't have.

That being said, it very unfortunate that some posters are "promoting" him into areas where he shouldn't be and in "relentlessly" doing so, causing a character guy with alot of upside to be villianized. This is a real shame in my opinion.

My post projecting him as a 20 goal scorer with the Bruins was clearly speculation on my part and was meant not just as a reflection of his ability, agreed or disagreed, but more to a testiment of IMO, the greatest "fighters" coach in the NHL, Don Cherry.
Just my .02 . Notice in the Fotiu video profile( another thread). Greschner mentioned about Fotiu's speed and then joked about not being able to turn. This is poignant I feel. Having been a student of the game for most of my nearly 50 yrs, I'd have to say Fotiu may've had a real hard time getting 20 goals...even with Cherry. Yes he was a great body checker, and was quick ..in a line. However, he seemed lost out there most of the time , was out of position a lot and just didn't have a "feel" for the game. He took foolish penalties also . When looking at the other 20 goal tough guys (Schultz, Wensink, Battleship Kelly ..who was just shy of 30 goals) Fotiu was actually a faster skater than any of them..but just didn't have fundamentals that the others had. Actually what got Wensink in trouble was when he got some goals he thought he was Gretzky and lost his edge( according to Grapes), a common problem with many tough guys. But those guys could play, don't kid yourself.
What NF accomplished is remarkable but let's not get carried away...he came up at the right time , he wasn't an enforcer really ..he was more like a deterrent , it was more important that he keep his teammates from getting beat up than fight..so in that way he did his job. At that time that was enough...however it'd been interesting to see him play later in the late 80's early 90's ...rep won't last long...he'd have to fight.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to battleship25 For This Useful Post:
I like Boobs (12-04-2012), Killah_punk (12-04-2012), mikebflorida (12-04-2012), spiderarms (12-03-2012), srehm1 (12-03-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddaBing Badda Boom View Post
Watch out or he will sneak in and sensor you. For a guy that supposedly likes hockey fighting he is extremely "touchy-feely" - u hit a nerve. Its a shame. Perhaps the other moderators will take note and deep six em
Ahh Baghdad Bob, the resident joke of the entire forum. You're the only one to earn any type of "sensor" (it's actually censor, moron), from me in almost a decade. I don't have any problem with anyone voicing their opinion (which your dozens and dozens of rehashed threads prove), even if I disagree with it... I simply have no patience for your lies, word for word repetitive threads, or you posting the same link to the 4 fights you've worn out on Youtube. If you can find anyone else that I've had to "SENSOR" (other than for violating the rules of the site) I'll gladly step aside. I wouldn't expect less than a sniveling weasel like post from you though, it's just the type of "man" you are. Lies, obsession with 3 guys, and bringing the level of the forum down significantly are your legacy here. I don't envy it of you.

"Let's get out of this sh*thole."
Phil Esposito, on Winnipeg, after Team Canada lost game 3 of the 1972 series to the Russians.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Here is Nick's legacy as far as I'm concerned-

Rangers-Flyers preseason brawl 1978 - YouTube

He basically hides behind the linesman and/or referee until he's left alone in the penalty box and finally comes out to fight some nobody when he has his choice of Holmgren, Dupont, Kelly, or about 6 other tougher guys. Bridgeman is beating the tar out of Frank Seldom Beaton and Nick, who supposedly is the "deterrent" just stands there.

Yet another in a long line of videos I've seen where Nick doesn't do anything and finally fights some chump.

I'm with I Like Boobs on this subject, I want to like Nick Fotiu, his is a great story of making the NHL when he had no business doing so but he's so wildly propped up by his fans despite not really having anything to really cheer about. This ruins it for me. The hype almost always ruins it for me. Like my dad just left a Sports Illustrated on my chair with Notre Dame's stupid gold helmet on it and I just chucked it in the trash can, he did it just to piss me off because he knows I hate Notre Dame but I secretly don't hate them, I hate their focking fans and the focking media for propping them up year after year despite not doing anything for 20 years and I have to sit and swallow what the media and their fans tell me about how great they are.

Nick is the same way. I don't hate the guy but know full well that he is easily the most overrated tough guy to ever come down the pike because of his fans/worshippers when in reality, he didn't fight very much, wasn't a very good player, and lost fights he shouldn't.

Onward
acdcrocksno1 (12-04-2012), fansince65 (12-04-2012), I like Boobs (12-04-2012), RetardedChimp (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Ahh Baghdad Bob, the resident joke of the entire forum. You're the only one to earn any type of "sensor" (it's actually censor, moron), from me in almost a decade. I don't have any problem with anyone voicing their opinion (which your dozens and dozens of rehashed threads prove), even if I disagree with it... I simply have no patience for your lies, word for word repetitive threads, or you posting the same link to the 4 fights you've worn out on Youtube. If you can find anyone else that I've had to "SENSOR" (other than for violating the rules of the site) I'll gladly step aside. I wouldn't expect less than a sniveling weasel like post from you though, it's just the type of "man" you are. Lies, obsession with 3 guys, and bringing the level of the forum down significantly are your legacy here. I don't envy it of you.
Bow out Frances your nose needs powdering. It warms my heatr to know that you will not be reading or sharing on my posts - take your hate and vindictive child's play elsewhere
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
BBBB I haven't received your usual whiny PM about why you can't make your 7000th thread about the same topic and how you're rich enough to buy your way into anything.
Awesome.

Brashear beat your favorite fighter. Undisputed top 5 all time.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebflorida View Post

He basically hides behind the linesman and/or referee until he's left alone in the penalty box and finally comes out to fight some nobody when he has his choice of Holmgren, Dupont, Kelly, or about 6 other tougher guys. Bridgeman is beating the tar out of Frank Seldom Beaton and Nick, who supposedly is the "deterrent" just stands there.

Yet another in a long line of videos I've seen where Nick doesn't do anything and finally fights some chump.

I'm with I Like Boobs on this subject, I want to like Nick Fotiu, his is a great story of making the NHL when he had no business doing so but he's so wildly propped up by his fans despite not really having anything to really cheer about. This ruins it for me. The hype almost always ruins it for me. Like my dad just left a Sports Illustrated on my chair with Notre Dame's stupid gold helmet on it and I just chucked it in the trash can, he did it just to piss me off because he knows I hate Notre Dame but I secretly don't hate them, I hate their focking fans and the focking media for propping them up year after year despite not doing anything for 20 years and I have to sit and swallow what the media and their fans tell me about how great they are.

Nick is the same way. I don't hate the guy but know full well that he is easily the most overrated tough guy to ever come down the pike because of his fans/worshippers when in reality, he didn't fight very much, wasn't a very good player, and lost fights he shouldn't.

Onward
Mike that is one of the best assessments of Fotiu I have ever seen , I agree with you it was more the media and fans "HYPE" and the fact he himself believed all the crap printed about him , like I have said many times "HE WAS A LEGEND IN HIS OWN MIND" and the minds of NY media brainwashed fans !!!

George Gross : At L.A. Kings/Toronto Game In 1970 ...
The Following User Says Thank You to fansince65 For This Useful Post:
mikebflorida (12-04-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Veteran

Could imagine if Nick played with Gretzky line with the Oilers like Semenko did, that he could have wracked up 30 goals. Gretzky would have been able to maximize Nick's skating speed into goal production.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Hall of Famer

what about this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebflorida View Post

Onward

I have this whole film on tape (1 of first tapes i ever bought as a kid) and from what i saw there was Flyers who didnt seem interested in going with Fotiu, if i remember Glen Cohcrane was up in the lineup and a couple of others and had many chances to go with Nick and didnt seem interested

Cunningham was actually a tough minor leaguer at that time and i applaud him for taking on Nick 3 times in 1 game

Now Would i have LOVED to see Nick mix it up with another Flyer? HELL YEA but its a 2 way street and i think its somewhat unfair to simply 'blame Nick' and not have some of the Flyer players look in the mirror as well, they had PLENTY of chances to get at Nick after he 'beat up' that nobody a couple times and yet they didnt (until someone finally jumped in, 3rd man very late) i blame the Flyers a lil as well

Just keeping it a 2 way street
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GOON 21 For This Useful Post:
battleship25 (12-08-2012), Howatt8 (12-08-2012), pesadillamal (12-08-2012)