laughing
Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > Hockey General > Hockey Related Media

Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Stan Jonathan charged in hunting accident causing death

Quote:
Six Nations hockey legend Stan Jonathan has been charged with criminal negligence causing death in the hunting accident that killed a Hamilton man Sunday.

Mountain resident Peter Kosid was bow hunting when he was shot in the back and killed at about 8 a.m. Six Nations police said a deer hunter shot from the roadway across a field along 3rd Line road.

Kosid was struck by the bullet more than three football fields away.

On Wednesday, Six Nations Police arrested and charged Jonathan, an Ohsweken resident and former NHL player who was celebrated for his hockey fighting skills with the Boston Bruins in the late 1970s.

Jonathan declined to comment in a brief interview with the Spectator Tuesday at his home.

Peter Kosid’s brother, Brad, said he felt the charge was appropriate.

“It’s not like we think (the shooter) did it on purpose, but it was so careless,” he said Wednesday. “It was a split-second decision that cost a life.”

Police say Kosid was shot at a range of about 375 metres Sunday as he was hunting on land owned by a friend. They say the shot came from an adjacent road. The ministry of natural resources says it does not regulate hunting on First Nations lands.

More to come.
http://m.thespec.com/news/local/arti...-hunting-death
Rick Rypien
Lokomotiv
Add me on Xbox Live: SKoTTee85
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_am_Belak_2 For This Useful Post:
blockerpunch (11-15-2012), FistofFury (11-14-2012)
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Kosid was struck by the bullet more than three football fields away.
What a ridiculously bad luck shot.

Quote:
“It’s not like we think (the shooter) did it on purpose, but it was so careless,” he said Wednesday. “It was a split-second decision that cost a life.”
Did Jonathan miss his intended target, or mistook the guy so far away as an animal? Either way tragic.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Damn, that's crazy. This is the reason that I feel rifle hunting is not safe for anyone.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Clever admin title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValJamesRules View Post
Damn, that's crazy. This is the reason that I feel rifle hunting is not safe for anyone.
It's really not. Unless you're on your own, private, fenced in land, it's a true life and death situation to walk in the woods to a stand or hunt when rifle season is open. Too many people just shoot at something, instead of taking a couple extra seconds to confirm their target.

As a bow hunter that has had to track a deer onto someone elses land, it's a VERY frightening feeling. One thing I've started doing is bringing an extra blaze orange hat and vest with me for bow hunting (it's not used until it's tracking time) just to try and avoid this kind of situation.

On the topic, very tragic. Very very tragic. At that range, with the bow hunter likely in camo gear, I have no idea why Stan would take the shot. I've been looking through a scope my entire life as an avid hunter since age 6'ish, and I can't - for the life of me - understand how or why someone pulls the trigger with looking through a scope and "thinking" they see a deer. Either know, or don't take the shot.
MN Wild Team Forum
RIP Bob "Probie" Probert - 7/5/2010
RIP Derek "Boogie Man" Boogaard - 5/13/2011
Old 11-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Content Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKidd View Post
It's really not. Unless you're on your own, private, fenced in land, it's a true life and death situation to walk in the woods to a stand or hunt when rifle season is open. Too many people just shoot at something, instead of taking a couple extra seconds to confirm their target.

As a bow hunter that has had to track a deer onto someone elses land, it's a VERY frightening feeling. One thing I've started doing is bringing an extra blaze orange hat and vest with me for bow hunting (it's not used until it's tracking time) just to try and avoid this kind of situation.

On the topic, very tragic. Very very tragic. At that range, with the bow hunter likely in camo gear, I have no idea why Stan would take the shot. I've been looking through a scope my entire life as an avid hunter since age 6'ish, and I can't - for the life of me - understand how or why someone pulls the trigger with looking through a scope and "thinking" they see a deer. Either know, or don't take the shot.
While I've been around firearms and rifles my whole life, I've never been hunting. I imagine the golden rule is to be 110% sure what you're shooting at. It's better to hesitate and let the deer get away than take a chance and shoot another person.

I want to hear more details about this. From what I understand, Jonathan shot ACROSS a roadway? I would think that's highly illegal unless I'm misunderstanding something (or that's the very reason he's being charged).
Old 11-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKidd View Post

Very tragic indeed. I just feel that rifles are too powerful and deadly to be allowed in areas where other folks are/could be in close proximity. He was 3 football fields away! I also know that there are far more considerate and responsible hunters than not. As an outdoorsman whose job requires me to work in the woods, I feel safer knowing that rifle hunting is not allowed in most of my work area. I always wear blaze orange.

In NY most state lands are open for hunting, with no limit on how many people can go there. If rifle is allowed in more of the state, we will see an increase in these deadly/accidental shootings.

That being said, good luck! Shotgun opens around here this Saturday.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Content Team

I just re-read the article and it clearly says he shot FROM the roadway, not across like I said. Isn't that still illegal though? Maybe it depends on the state/province, but I think you can't pull over and fire off a round from the road.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phila26Flyers View Post
I just re-read the article and it clearly says he shot FROM the roadway, not across like I said. Isn't that still illegal though? Maybe it depends on the state/province, but I think you can't pull over and fire off a round from the road.
Not on a reserve.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...nting-province

Quote:
The regulations also forbid shooting hunting guns from a public road or at unseen targets — unless you’re hunting on a First Nations reserve.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phila26Flyers View Post
While I've been around firearms and rifles my whole life, I've never been hunting. I imagine the golden rule is to be 110% sure what you're shooting at. It's better to hesitate and let the deer get away than take a chance and shoot another person.

I want to hear more details about this. From what I understand, Jonathan shot ACROSS a roadway? I would think that's highly illegal unless I'm misunderstanding something (or that's the very reason he's being charged).
being a native american myself, we can hunt/fish on our land whenever. they were hunting on first nations land, which jonathan is of, and there's no law regarding hunting. you kill whatever, whenever. So there's no regulations. I do know some reserves have their own regulations though. seems to me just bad luck on the other guys part, which if he was on first nation land, I assume he's native too.
yes, typically most hunters know what they're shooting at. idk the whole situation here so who knows.
I actually ran into Stan about 4 years ago, great guy, and a biiiiiiiiiiig man now.

terrible thing to happen, that doesn't happen to often, as far as I know.

Last edited by theknuckler; 11-14-2012 at 04:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to theknuckler For This Useful Post:
DARCY T (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Hall of Famer

This is really too bad. An accident no doubt, but still troubling to hear.

I hope the family of this man can recover and Jonathon can overcome this. I just hope the family doesn't hold any ill- will towards him, all things considered... Just really sad stuff...
theknuckler (11-14-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Well the deer is certainly happy. Not sure how anyone can call this a sport when one of the participants doesn't even realize he's participating one way or the other.

Humans and guns. Not a good combo.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker_316 View Post
Well the deer is certainly happy. Not sure how anyone can call this a sport when one of the participants doesn't even realize he's participating one way or the other.
calling a deer a participant is like calling a football a football player.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Philly Fan 27 For This Useful Post:
acdcrocksno1 (11-16-2012), bruiser11 (11-16-2012), nyandy41 (11-01-2014), Phila26Flyers (11-16-2012), xELi (11-16-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm not even a hunter,but I do go fishing for steelhead and trout at the time of rifle season,and it's always in the back of my mind...I take all the precautions with a bright orange hat and vest..But you never know whats going to come flying at you regardless of the precautions you take.But this story is tragic and should have been avoided...
Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

Hunting has been around for A LOT longer than you have been here. Chill out.

Games Attended 2012-2013: 12
Fights Seen 2012-2013: 12
The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Roberts For This Useful Post:
theknuckler (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 02:36 AM
Content Team

Quote:

Hunting is how humans and their ancestors have survived for 2.2 million years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phila26Flyers For This Useful Post:
theknuckler (11-16-2012)