hockeyfights.com forums

hockeyfights.com forums (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/)
-   Hockey Related Media (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Randy Carlyle likes his players to use their fists (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f16/randy-carlyle-likes-his-players-use-their-fists-181922/)

Cat Smasher 02-01-2013 12:37 PM

Randy Carlyle likes his players to use their fists
 
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...eir_fists.html

Quote:

Truculence — so lacking under Ron Wilson — is back in a big way under Randy Carlyle.

The Maple Leafs are among the lead leaders in fighting majors (seven through the first seven games), with the lion’s share of the poundings being delivered by heavyweight Colton Orr and middleweight Mike Brown.

...

“Our players have to feel they’re protected,” said Carlyle. “When you have a 48-game schedule, the points mean so much more and those are the things that set the tone. I would say if you look at the league as whole, I think there’s been a revitalization of that role on various teams. Teams have gone out and acquired that.”

...

The Leafs got a little more truculent when they added forward Frazer McLaren, claiming him off waivers from the San Jose Sharks. Carlyle called McLaren a “George Parros-type.”

Far from being joining the dodo bird and dinosaurs on the extinction calendar, Carlyle believes fighting is here to stay in the NHL.

“It’s a part of the game that won’t go away,” said Carlyle. “I know there are people that want it out of the game. But I don’t think it’s going as quickly as some people would like. It’s a fact of life in the NHL.”

Wendel_Clark_17 02-01-2013 02:26 PM

There wasn't much to cheer about as a Leaf's fan under Wilson.

Phila26Flyers 02-01-2013 02:39 PM

You listening Lavi?!

ValJamesRules 02-01-2013 03:27 PM

Should add to the intensity of the Leafs-Sabres rivalry. Remember the good ole days of Rayzor and Domi.

BTW-Brownie looks to be channelling Wendel through his 'stache. Looks bad azz, but not as bad azz as #17.

The DZA 02-01-2013 04:51 PM

The second coming of Jesus Christ has already happened.

His name is Wendel Clark.

FightingIsGood 02-01-2013 05:09 PM

If only he were the Pens' coach instead of Bylsma. Sid and Geno would dominate the league knowing that anyone who even looked at them wrong would get a face full of knuckles. Instead, I have to watch them get hit from behind, slashed, hacked and tackled without so much as a push from anyone else. Makes me sick.

Phila26Flyers 02-01-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FightingIsGood (Post 2554871)
If only he were the Pens' coach instead of Bylsma. Sid and Geno would dominate the league knowing that anyone who even looked at them wrong would get a face full of knuckles. Instead, I have to watch them get hit from behind, slashed, hacked and tackled without so much as a push from anyone else. Makes me sick.

Funny you say that, because the rest of us have been watching our own players get slashed and hacked by Malkin without repercussion for years. Pens fans are the last fans who have the right to complain about teams playing dirty against the Pens.

grits207 02-01-2013 06:06 PM

I love what Carlyle has done since coming to Toronto, not just in terms of fighting but the way he has managed to get Kadri and Reimer's confidence back up, Mike Komisarek to play like an NHL-caliber defenceman, JVR to finally use his size and Kessel to actually work hard. The team still sucks but they at least seem to be buying into Carlyle's system.

It would be nice to see what he could do with this team if he actually had some talent to work with.

Kid Roberts 02-01-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phila26Flyers (Post 2554893)
Funny you say that, because the rest of us have been watching our own players get slashed and hacked by Malkin without repercussion for years. Pens fans are the last fans who have the right to complain about teams playing dirty against the Pens.

That's not the point. Malkin got 'jumped' by Marc Staal last night and Glass just stood there.

FistofFury 02-01-2013 06:12 PM

Kinky coach. I always knew something was a little strange in Toronto.

Phila26Flyers 02-01-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Roberts (Post 2554906)
That's not the point. Malkin got 'jumped' by Marc Staal last night and Glass just stood there.

Tanner Glass is my new favorite player. What made Staal jump Malkin?

FightingIsGood 02-01-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phila26Flyers (Post 2554893)
Funny you say that, because the rest of us have been watching our own players get slashed and hacked by Malkin without repercussion for years. Pens fans are the last fans who have the right to complain about teams playing dirty against the Pens.

I have acknowledged more than once that Malkin is, in fact, a dirty player. That does not mean I should have to forfeit my right to want to see the star players on my favorite team protected so that they can do what they do. That is fukking bullshyt.

pegra03 02-02-2013 02:15 AM

http://www.dingsme.info/avatar8.jpgThere wasn't much to cheer about as a Leaf's fan under Wilson.

Cat Smasher 02-02-2013 03:19 PM

I would also like to add..

Quote:

“We didn't take McLaren off waivers to sit in the press box" Carlyle said this morning at the morning skate.

ocrage 02-03-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Roberts (Post 2554906)
That's not the point. Malkin got 'jumped' by Marc Staal last night and Glass just stood there.

how dumb are you? Malkin didn't get jumped, that would require some punches to be thrown and not just wrestled to the ice. not to mention there was already a cluster and he wouldn't have been able to do anything anyways. lastly, malkins a biggg boy. he can handle himself if he wants to play super rough, both crosby and ovechkin have been willing to drop the gloves


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 PM.


© 2013 hockeyfights.com. All rights reserved.