Old 10-25-2012, 05:42 AM
Minor Leaguer

NHL may take OHL fight rule into effect

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408051

This can't be happening they better not use this 10 fight rule anywhere else. To David Branch: Go to hell you piece of ****. I will never watch NHL hockey again if fighting is either removed or cut down to a limit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FightsOfHockey For This Useful Post:
havoc00 (10-25-2012), HordiBrusk29 (10-25-2012)
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Hall of Famer

This will happen later or sooner. They praise this stupid rule and the NHL will make the game "better" too. They just can't leave the game like it is as long as Bettman is thinking he needs to envolve the game for the better year after year.
This forum is full of people that suffer from post-pubertal showing-off affectations...
Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Clever admin title

Sounds like Campbell has already shot it down, from the article:
Quote:
The NHL has been watching the OHL's initiative but Colin Campbell, NHL director of hockey operations, notes there are differences between the two leagues that need to be taken into consideration.

Those include the fact that NHL games have fewer fights than those in major junior, pro hockey doesn't have to be concerned with players of different ages fighting one another and that NHL teams could get around the impact of a suspended enforcer by simply calling up another a tough guy from the AHL to replace him.
MN Wild Team Forum
RIP Bob "Probie" Probert - 7/5/2010
RIP Derek "Boogie Man" Boogaard - 5/13/2011
The Following User Says Thank You to JKidd For This Useful Post:
IhateLindros (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkidd View Post
Sounds like Campbell has already shot it down, from the article:
Good to hear. I wonder if the NHLPA would get to have a say in this type of rule being implemented as I'm sure they would not be in favour.

I'm interested to see what affect this may have on OHL attendance trends over the next couple of years. I can't imagine it will bring in any new fans.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Hall of Famer

Yeah, there's no real reason to bring that rule in. Wasn't the rule brought in due to Bilcke? That kid went overboard with the fighting.

Games Attended 2012-2013: 12
Fights Seen 2012-2013: 12
Old 10-25-2012, 03:55 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Roberts View Post
Yeah, there's no real reason to bring that rule in. Wasn't the rule brought in due to Bilcke? That kid went overboard with the fighting.
No. There are plenty of players that have fought more in one season than Bilcke. This rule was brought in as yet another way to slowly reduce and ultimately eliminate fighting in junior hockey. And of course douche bag David Branch had to be the "hero" and implement something like this first.

I really cringe when I think this is the guy that is next in line to replace Gary Bettman if and when that happens. And as much as I dislike Bettman I'm not sure he's any worse than Branch. In fact as much as it pains me to say it, he is not.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HordiBrusk29 For This Useful Post:
blackngold (10-25-2012), chilly666 (10-25-2012), IhateLindros (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Coach

Quote:
I really cringe when I think this is the guy that is next in line to replace Gary Bettman
Is that really the case, Hordi?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:02 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold View Post
Unfortunately yes. Which is why I'm not as anti-Bettman as I used to be. I still had the guy but over the years he seems to have been a little more pro-fighting if that makes any sense. I've seen him defend fighting and it's place in the game. Someone like Branch however would want to make a huge statement and leave behind a legacy that would profoundly change the game forever. Essentially reducing fighting to the point where it is practically banned without being "officially banned" would surely fit that definition.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:06 PM
News Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold View Post
yeah...seeing how the game has changed in the ohl and chl as a whole in the last five years (or ever since that guy died) the ohl has made a stupendous point to go overboard with most situations and the fight rule is just another step on the way to branch banning it in the ohl completely unless he replaces bettman.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
Good to hear. I wonder if the NHLPA would get to have a say in this type of rule being implemented as I'm sure they would not be in favour.

I'm interested to see what affect this may have on OHL attendance trends over the next couple of years. I can't imagine it will bring in any new fans.
From the views of various anti fighting articles, this seem like the oppsoite of what would happen. The "new" fans want goals and high tempo game, not fighting. That's what I've been getting from all the fighting rule changes.

It complete BS limiting fights. If 2 men wanna shed the mitts and duke it out, let them. It should not matter if it's there 1st time fighting or 20th time fighting. Let players be players!!!

https://twitter.com/Sabres_Captain