Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors

Old 09-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateLindros View Post
You should really go on the Toronto section of hfboards. Really...
There are definitely a lot of delusional people there, but hfboards in general is a complete cesspool.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grits207 For This Useful Post:
IhateLindros (09-14-2011), NJDevils17 (09-14-2011), Slewfoot (09-19-2011), The DZA (09-15-2011), theknuckler (09-14-2011)
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2011, 08:59 PM
General Manager

Quote:
You should really go on the Toronto section of hfboards. Really...
!!!!

You're on HFBoards too?! That site is great for the lulz!

That site is great for reading the ridiculous trade proposals.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
Seriously? How does Tavares re-signing with the Isles have anything to do with Toronto? The only connection I can think of is that the Leafs once tried to trade up to draft him a few years ago, but they also tried to trade up for Braydon Schenn, Steven Stamkos, Matt Duchene etc. but you don't see Lightning, Avalanche or Flyers fans constantly bringing it up like Islanders fans do.

Don't flatter yourselves, Tavares is just one of at least 10 centers the Leafs have tried to trade for over the past 3-4 years and I'm sure the Leafs were far more bothered by missing out on Stamkos, Schenn, Mike Richards, Brad Richards etc. than they were about missing out on Tavares.
Honestly, it doesn't have much to do with the organization itself. It's really about those jackasses in the media (dating back to the asshole saying he should pull a Lindros and refuse to play for the Islanders back when he was first drafted) who write things about how Tavares should leave a hapless organization like the Islanders to join the pinnacle of success that is the Toronto Maple Leafs. You said yourself that the Toronto media is full of sh*t, and the real fans don't buy into their trash. But yet we still read things from these scumbags in the media and the mentally inept fans who support them. So hence the comments by Islander fans at Toronto are directed more at the atmosphere surrounding the team than the team itself.

But just to clarify my opinion, f*ck the Maple Leafs organization as well, having nothing to do with Tavares.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Four View Post
Wonderful news. Now make him the captain.
Disagree completely about the captaincy. Tavares is already viewed as the Islanders main hope for ever improving in the future. He has enough pressure on him already, he doesn't need to have the 'C' slapped on him at this point just because he's the face of the franchise's future. There's other good options already on the team, I just really don't think there's a reason to burden Tavares with that extra responsibility at this point in his career.
GODARDNYI (09-14-2011), metalrider (09-16-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Poor ignorant bastard! I guess some Hockey players are sadists.
The Following User Says Thank You to KiddYidd For This Useful Post:
Slewfoot (09-19-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
You haven't been following the news then. There are countless numbers of reports that Tavares will burn the Isles and go there because its his hometown. I really cant believe you don't get it. It seemed as if there was some clown from Toronto writing an article about it every two weeks. Thats where that comment came from.
I can understand where you're coming from but most reputable sources in T.O haven't been saying that. It's mostly bloggers and sh*t like that.

Please don't lump the Leafs posters here in with those snot nosed teenagers on hfboards. I think for the most part we're a pretty sensible bunch and you wouldn't see any of us suggesting Stamkos, Ryan or Tavares are Leaf bound.

And not to sound like dick because I'm really not trying to, but some fanbases need to grow thicker skin.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Super All-Star

Anyways, great signing for the Isles. Hopefully this can get the ball rolling on a new barn and put some bums in the seats. This can only be good.

Also Strome looked great in the rookie games.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougler View Post
I can understand where you're coming from but most reputable sources in T.O haven't been saying that. It's mostly bloggers and sh*t like that.

Please don't lump the Leafs posters here in with those snot nosed teenagers on hfboards. I think for the most part we're a pretty sensible bunch and you wouldn't see any of us suggesting Stamkos, Ryan or Tavares are Leaf bound.

And not to sound like dick because I'm really not trying to, but some fanbases need to grow thicker skin.
Believe me I'm not, even the Islander fans over there are idiots.

IslesEnforcers.com
Website|Youtube|Twitter
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IhateLindros For This Useful Post:
grits207 (09-14-2011), The Dougler (09-14-2011), The DZA (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Super All-Star

I love the Islanders locked him up long term. One of the few top end prospects in the last few years I actually like. Kid is going to be something special.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Hall of Famer

****. You mean we have to see him 6 times a year for the next 6 years Suckage.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Hall of Famer

I live in Boston but I pull for the Islanders.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:13 AM
Hall of Famer

Duchene can expect the same contract next year as these two players have same points.
You don't cheapshot one of my players like that, it doesn't make any sense. Fight a guy straight up, whoever wins, wins, but at the end of the day respect yourself for being a fair player and a fair fighter.
The Sheriff
Old 09-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
Seriously? How does Tavares re-signing with the Isles have anything to do with Toronto? The only connection I can think of is that the Leafs once tried to trade up to draft him a few years ago, but they also tried to trade up for Braydon Schenn, Steven Stamkos, Matt Duchene etc. but you don't see Lightning, Avalanche or Flyers fans constantly bringing it up like Islanders fans do.

Don't flatter yourselves, Tavares is just one of at least 10 centers the Leafs have tried to trade for over the past 3-4 years and I'm sure the Leafs were far more bothered by missing out on Stamkos, Schenn, Mike Richards, Brad Richards etc. than they were about missing out on Tavares.

Amost EVERY news source, hockey blog, rumor site etc has had some note of a Tavares to Toronto move after a contract holdout or a trade. The guy wants to be back home etc. If it wasn't the writer, it was the flooding comments from some Leafs fans. No one takes that cumulative trash talk to heart because we're not clueless enough to think all Leafs fans think that way. But after a while it gets to you as an Isles fan. people who do not live near the shores of Long Island have no clue how beautiful life is out here (if you can afford it). This is why many western canadian players over the years have settled down and still keep their homes on LI. Tavares found out too.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Coach

Tavares signs, Toronto comes crying....http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...5_094039_11604

IslesEnforcers.com
Website|Youtube|Twitter
The Following User Says Thank You to IhateLindros For This Useful Post:
Habs # 1 (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 01:17 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4life View Post
Disagree completely about the captaincy. Tavares is already viewed as the Islanders main hope for ever improving in the future. He has enough pressure on him already, he doesn't need to have the 'C' slapped on him at this point just because he's the face of the franchise's future. There's other good options already on the team, I just really don't think there's a reason to burden Tavares with that extra responsibility at this point in his career.
Honestly, I just think it is completely natural for him to be captain. Kind of the lead by example type. He has the utmost respect of every single person in the the locker room. I don't think it would be added pressure nor do I think it would be a "burden" for him. I just think giving him the captaincy would just be a natural extention of his role. He's too good to not thrive in the role and I think added pressure only makes him better. That's the kind of player Tavares is. If they made him captain his first year, then yes, that would've been too much.

That said, I don't think they'll make him Captain. Just saying, I think he could do it and be one of the best captains we've had in years. But yes, I understand their are other good choices.
"After a few days, I was told I deserved a contract but that I should stop fighting. I tried to explain that I wasn't looking for them; they were coming for me. Basically, that's the way it's been ever since." - Steve Webb
The Following User Says Thank You to Two-Four For This Useful Post:
BobNystromOwnsU (09-16-2011)