Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors

Old 02-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Stars Acquire Norstrom, Pushkarev and Draft Picks From Los Angeles

Dallas Stars General Manager Doug Armstrong made a big deal right at the NHL trade deadline on Tuesday, acquiring veteran defenseman and Kings team captain Mattias Norstrom from Los Angeles, along with right wing Konstantin Pushkarev, a third round pick in 2007 and a fourth round pick in 2007. In exchange the Stars send LA defenseman Jaroslav Modry, the rights to defenseman Johan Fransson, a first round pick in 2008, a second round pick in 2007 and a third pick in 2007.

"Mattias solidifies our defensive group and also adds character and veteran leadership to our locker room," said Armstrong. "He is an outstanding NHL defenseman and we are extremely happy to have acquired him today. We look for him to make an immediate impact on this hockey club as we push towards the playoffs."

Norstrom, who turned 35 last month, has played in 62 games with the Kings this season, registering nine points (2-7-9) and 40 penalty minutes. The 6-2, 210-pound native of Stockholm, Sweden, is the Kings' all-time leader in games played among defensemen (780) and he is the fourth overall in games played in franchise history. He was also the 12th captain in club history and had worn the "C" for the Kings since the 2001-02 season.

A veteran of 823 career NHL games with the Kings (1996-2007) and the New York Rangers (1994-1996), Norstrom has registered 149 points (16-133-149) with 613 penalty minutes. Acquired by the Kings from the Rangers on March 14, 1996, with Ian Laperriere, Ray Ferraro, Nathan LaFayette and a fourth round draft pick (Sean Blanchard) in the 1997 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Marty McSorley, Jari Kurri and Shane Churla, Norstrom was originally selected by the Rangers in the second round (48th overall) in the 1992 NHL Entry Draft.

A two-time NHL All-Star (1999, 2004) and two-time Olympian for Team Sweden (1998, 2002), Norstrom was selected to play at the 2006 Winter Olympics but missed the tournament for health reasons. In 31 career playoff games, he has recorded two assists and 30 penalty minutes.

Pushkarev, 22, has played in 16 games with the Kings this season, recording four points (2-2-4) with eight penalty minutes. He also has played in 35 games with the Manchester Monarchs of the American Hockey League (AHL) this season, recording 15 points (4-11=15) and 29 penalty minutes. Most recently assigned by the Kings to the Monarchs on February 17, Pushkarvev, a 6-0, 180-pound native of Ust Kamenogorsk, Kazakhstan, has played in 17 career regular season NHL games, all with the Kings, and has five points (2-3=5) and eight penalty minutes. He was originally selected by Los Angeles in the second-round (44th overall) in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Pushkarev was immediately assigned to to Iowa, Dallas' primary development affiliate in the American Hockey League.

Last edited by Thrillhouse; 02-27-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Minor Leaguer

TSN says he went to Dallas, but the player coming to LA hasn't been notified yet.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Hey.....just like winning the Bingo....

Al Swearengen
Old 02-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Pro

If true, great move by Dallas!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Hall of Famer

I would like to see Boucher back for the kings.. as long as they won't get Skoula..
Old 02-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Hall of Famer

A tremendous acquisition by Dallas.

Depending on what Dallas gave up this may be the top pick up heading into the playoffs.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Minor Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podollan View Post
I would like to see Boucher back for the kings.. as long as they won't get Skoula..
Whatever the Kings got back, it likely will be young players and picks. Doubt they'd trade for a soon to be 34 year old d-man while in the middle of a rebuilding phase. And doubtful Dallas would trade a significant player on D to acquire a different veteran D-man.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery19 View Post
Whatever the Kings got back, it likely will be young players and picks. Doubt they'd trade for a soon to be 34 year old d-man while in the middle of a rebuilding phase. And doubtful Dallas would trade a significant player on D to acquire a different veteran D-man.
I bet Modry or Daley plus a young forward. Both of those guys are good. Daley is great.

Al Swearengen
Old 02-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Minor Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti_shark View Post
I bet Modry or Daley plus a young forward. Both of those guys are good. Daley is great.
There's a radio report in LA that says it was Matty & Pushkarev for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, no word on what years the picks are in.

A report on letsgokings.com says:

to LA 1st round pick 2008 + johan fransson
to DAL Norstrom and a late round pick

Last edited by avery19; 02-27-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Hall of Famer

who ever it is, this blows! Matty is one of the best dmen around and he should have been on the "do not trade list" for ass face! all i can say is Jack Johnson better pan out like everyone says he will. Norstrom is an established stay at home defender, one of the best in the game. congrats to Dallas fans i guess.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Modry is a UFA after the season, don't think the rebuilding Kings would trade their captain to bring him back for 20 games.

There's a radio report in LA that says it was Matty & Pushkarev for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, no word on what years the picks are in.

Wow. So the Dallas defense depth chart would be:

Zubov/Boucher
Nordstrom/Sydor
Daley/Robidas
Klemm/Modry

That's a lot of D...

Al Swearengen
Old 02-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Minor Leaguer

Quote:
Modry is a UFA after the season, don't think the rebuilding Kings would trade their captain to bring him back for 20 games.

if thats the deal, ill take it, norstrom wont help this team in 2 or 3 seasons when they really need it, but that 08 1st rd pick will...sorry matty, u were a good player and a class act, thanks for the good years, and thanks for the 1st rd pick!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Minor Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti_shark View Post
Wow. So the Dallas defense depth chart would be:

Zubov/Boucher
Nordstrom/Sydor
Daley/Robidas
Klemm/Modry

That's a lot of D...
4 former Kings!

TSN says the hold up is that LA hasn't been able to contact Matty to let him know he's been traded.

Also, F Jason Ward traded from LA to Tampa Bay for a 5th round pick.

Last edited by avery19; 02-27-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Minor Leaguer

Per the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...orts-nhl-kings

Quote:
The Kings traded captain Mattias Norstrom to the Dallas Stars in a multi-player, multi-draft-pick deal Tuesday.

In return, the Kings acquired defenseman Jaroslav Modry, the rights to Johan Fransson along with a first-round draft pick in 2008, a second-round pick in 2007 and third-round pick in 2007.

The Stars will also receive Konstantin Pushkarev, a third-round draft pick in 2007 and a fourth-round pick in 2007.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKINGSNUT View Post
who ever it is, this blows! Matty is one of the best dmen around and he should have been on the "do not trade list" for ass face! all i can say is Jack Johnson better pan out like everyone says he will. Norstrom is an established stay at home defender, one of the best in the game. congrats to Dallas fans i guess.

his time has passed up!!! good move by the kings... bad move was giving up avery, but la times reports avery might of only been a rental, avery may look to resign in la next season. keeping my fingures crossed