Old 02-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Clever admin title

Sharks Land Ian White in Deal With Carolina

San Jose Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Wilson announced today that the club has acquired defenseman Ian White from the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for a second round selection in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

White, 27, has played in 50 games this season with Calgary and Carolina, posting a combined 16 points (two goals, 14 assists) and 18 penalty minutes.

“We think Ian is a great fit for our club, based on his abilities, style of play and his age,” said Wilson. “He’s a great competitor who is responsible in his own end. He moves the puck well, can play on the power play and we like his right-handed shot.”

White was acquired by Carolina from Calgary on Nov. 17, 2010. He was originally drafted by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the sixth round (191st overall) in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

In 378 NHL games with Toronto, Calgary and Carolina, White has 133 points (34 goals, 99 assists), a plus-nine rating and 220 penalty minutes.

Last edited by Thrillhouse; 02-18-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Hall of Famer

hmm... ok, why not just make the first trade a little bit bigger by adding whomever is going to Carolina?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Hall of Famer

I would have liked to see White back in Toronto, oh well. Good pickup for the Sharks. I wonder why the Canes and Sharks didn't just do one trade instead of two separate ones?
The Following User Says Thank You to grits207 For This Useful Post:
DARCY T (02-18-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Dammit.
Rick Rypien
Lokomotiv
Add me on Xbox Live: SKoTTee85
The Following User Says Thank You to I_am_Belak_2 For This Useful Post:
The Dougler (02-19-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 03:59 PM
All-Star

Thinking theres more to still be revealed, maybe some picks to go with it. No update yet on either teams site about trading White or receiving White. Just the Joslin news. Makes me think theres more to it.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Belak_2 View Post
Dammit.
^^this^^
Old 02-18-2011, 04:16 PM
All-Star

Canes get 2nd round pick in 2012 draft.

Basically traded White for Joslin and 2nd rounder.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Pro

I'm a little confused at this trade. Its like they made a trade for the sake of making a trade that makes no sense =P The 'Canes don't sport that great of depth on the blueline as it is and they get rid of White who is better than Joslin... are they dumping salary to bring in someone else ? because that blueline isn't anything to boost about if one or a few players go down.

They may as well have just traded for Joslin for depth and kept White since he's not a huge liability.

Last edited by Robbie_Ray; 02-18-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie_Ray View Post
I'm a little confused at this trade. Its like they made a trade for the sake of making a trade that makes no sense =P The 'Canes don't sport that great of depth on the blueline as it is and they get rid of White who is better than Joslin... are they dumping salary to bring in someone else ? because that blueline isn't anything to boost about if one or a few players go down.

They may as well have just traded for Joslin for depth and kept White since he's not a huge liability.
White is a UFA this summer, they were probably worried about losing him for nothing.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie_Ray View Post

The general consensus on the radio after the game is that Rutherford is looking for something on the offense. White is solid, but fairly expensive I think the team felt, which makes me wonder why he was brought in originally.

White for a good defensive prospect and a 2nd round pick in next year's draft is pretty fair I think.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:03 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. America View Post
The general consensus on the radio after the game is that Rutherford is looking for something on the offense. White is solid, but fairly expensive I think the team felt, which makes me wonder why he was brought in originally.

White for a good defensive prospect and a 2nd round pick in next year's draft is pretty fair I think.
Kinda what I took from Rutherford's comments is that Ian White's 3mil cap hit was fine when White was a top 4 guy, but once he went to the third pairing it was a waste of money, same thing he said about Andrew Alberts. I will never understand why this team is so crazy about bargain shopping.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canes13 For This Useful Post:
Mr. America (02-19-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Minor Leaguer

good trade for both. white is a solid d-man, should help the sharks right away. canes get a 2nd rounder for a guy who was probably gone this summer anyway. the dallas stars had him on their wish list, now the sharks have snatched him, assuming they sign him to a deal which i am sure will happen.
DARCY T (02-19-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Peach View Post
good trade for both. white is a solid d-man, should help the sharks right away. canes get a 2nd rounder for a guy who was probably gone this summer anyway. the dallas stars had him on their wish list, now the sharks have snatched him, assuming they sign him to a deal which i am sure will happen.
i didnt know that. i really like ian white and im disappointed now
Old 02-20-2011, 03:27 AM
Pro

Good pick up by the sharks. White's a useful player. I'm surprised both Calgary and Carolina got rid of him this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pillager For This Useful Post:
DARCY T (02-20-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 03:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Nice trade.
Managers arent idiots usually. If we shouldnt call them idiot, as they are better than all of us.