Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Clever admin title

Senators Sign Craig Anderson to Four-Year Deal

OTTAWA – Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray announced today the club has extended goaltender Craig Anderson's contract by four years, through the 2014-15 season.

Anderson, 29, was acquired by the Senators from the Colorado Avalanche on Feb. 18 in exchange for Brian Elliott. In 11 games since joining Ottawa, he has posted a 6-4-0 record with one shutout, a 2.11 goals-against average and .938 save percentage.

“Goaltending is and will be one of the important building blocks consistent with our plan to improve the team moving forward,” said general manager Bryan Murray. “Craig has provided a level of confidence to this team and this organization that was lacking early in the season, and we feel he is the type of person and player that will be a big part of our organization’s future success.”

The eight-year National Hockey League veteran has played 224 regular-season games, earning 93 wins, 87 losses, 19 overtime losses and 14 in shootouts, along with a 2.81 career goals-against average and.912 save percentage. Anderson has played with the Chicago Blackhawks, Florida Panthers and last two seasons with the Avalanche.

The native of Park Ridge, Ill., was Chicago’s third-round pick (73rd overall) in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft. He signed as a free agent with the Avalanche on July 1, 2009.

Last edited by Thrillhouse; 03-21-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Hall of Famer

Aren't they kinda grooming that Lehner guy to be their new goalie in the not-so-distant future?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 AM
News Junkie

i thought they were...maybe they'll keep anderson for a couple years to groom lehner then deal him, if his contract allows (salary cap wise)
Old 03-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly666 View Post
i thought they were...maybe they'll keep anderson for a couple years to groom lehner then deal him, if his contract allows (salary cap wise)
Thats an expensive backup. 3.75 million in the last year if I read that right. Bryan Murray leaves one stupid gem before he leaves. Anderson has been great thus far but he showed why he was a backup for quite a while, he got lazy.
grits207 (03-21-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 AM
News Junkie

well cap it'll depend on the total cap hit i guess...but he could be the primary starter so they don't rush lehner and then trade him to someone maybe.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly666 View Post
well cap it'll depend on the total cap hit i guess...but he could be the primary starter so they don't rush lehner and then trade him to someone maybe.
Craig Anderson's AAV is $3.187M on his new four-year deal with OTT. Per McKenzie
Old 03-21-2011, 11:48 AM
News Junkie

so 4 yrs, $12.75 million....eh some team might take him for the last two years of it if lehner is ready and a team is in desperate need of a new goalie.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Lehner is at least 3 years away. Ottawa still needs to sign an NHL quality backup.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Solid move by Ottawa, they needed to sign a legitimate goalie, Pascal Leclaire is totally not a starter in the NHL, an is making way to much money... A little bit to much money for Anderson, but who in there right mind is going to want to go to Ottawa in the rebuilding stages....
Old 03-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodsman View Post
Lehner is at least 3 years away. Ottawa still needs to sign an NHL quality backup.
McElheny has expressed interest in staying here, and he's been impressive so far as a Senator. Might be a good discount backup!

PM me for a game!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodsman View Post
Thats what I have read as well - and the Sens shouldn't be so quick to rush him into the NHL anyways - Anderson was a smart pickup by Murray last month and he will be a good stopgap until Lehner is ready. I just wonder if Anderson won't wind up as a one-year wonder, or as the classic late bloomer and continue for a few more solid seasons for the Sens, especially when they're about to start on a tough rebuild. Hope they can find a cheap, but decent goalie to back him up for the next few seasons....

- The Duke of Wellington after the Battle of Waterloo, June 18, 1815.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Pro

Murray shouldn't have gone over 2 years on the deal. Let him earn a 4 year contract. After the season he had in colorado before the trade, murray may be going overboard on the length because of a few decent games.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:38 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio106 View Post
McElheny has expressed interest in staying here, and he's been impressive so far as a Senator. Might be a good discount backup!
except that he's been average to poor when called upon in his other stops.. a few good starts do not erase what's been a forgettable career thus far.

as for this deal, not bad if he can keep playing the way he has since joining the Sens, and it's also official, Leclaire won't be resigned before he hits open market.