Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 03:43 PM
All-Star

Senators Acquire Dany Heatley from Atlanta and Sign him to 3-Year Deal

OTTAWA - Ottawa Senators general manager John Muckler today announced the club has acquired right-winger Dany Heatley from the Atlanta Thrashers for right-winger Marian Hossa and defenceman Greg de Vries. The Senators have also signed Heatley to a three-year contract.

Heatley, one of 36 players invited to Team Canadaís orientation camp this month in preparation for next Februaryís Olympic Games, kept busy during the 2004-05 season playing on four different squads. The right-winger started the season in late summer helping Canada capture the World Cup of Hockey title in September 2004. Heatley had two assists in six games for Canada. He travelled to Bern, Switzerland, to play in its National A League, where he recorded 24 points (14-10) in 16 games. A broken orbital bone kept him out of Bernís lineup for 14 games from Nov. 20 to Jan. 6.

The Bern hockey club transferred Heatley in February 2005 to Ak Bars Kazan of the Russian Elite League, where he contributed four points (3-1) in 11 games and added three points (2-1) in four playoff meetings.

Born in Germany, the Calgary-grown Heatley wrapped up the 2004-05 season helping Canada take the silver medal at the 2005 world championship in Austria. In nine games, he had three goals and four assists. The Czech Republic defeated Canada 3-0 for the gold medal.

In three NHL seasons, Heatley has 181 points (80-101) in 190 games with the Thrashers. He ranks second on Atlantaís all-time scoring list and holds several team season records, including most points (89 in 2002-03).

In his last full NHL season, 2002-03, Heatley led the Thrashers with 41 goals and 89 points. He helped the team improve 20 points in the standings and set a club record with 31 wins. Selected to participate in the mid-season all-star game in Florida, Heatley scored four goals plus a fifth in the shootout to win all-star game MVP honours.

In his first NHL season in 2001-02, Heatley won the Calder Trophy as NHLís rookie of the year and was selected to the NHL All-Rookie Team. He topped all NHL freshman with 26 goals, 41 assists for 67 points in 82 games.

Heatley has represented Canada on seven occasions, including the past four world championships and 2004 World Cup of Hockey. He won gold with Canada in 2003 and 2004, and was named the tournamentís most valuable player, best forward, and selected to the media all-star team.

Heatley played two seasons at the University of Wisconsin, recording 113 points (52-61) and 106 penalty minutes in 77 games. He helped Wisconsin capture 1999-2000 WCHA regular-season championship. Heatley was selected 1999-2000 WCHA Rookie of the Year and to the WCHA First Team All-Star squad, the WCHA All-Rookie Team and Division I All-America Second Team West. In 2000-01, he was named to the WCHA and Big-Ten All-Academic Teams, and the NCAA West All-Regional Team.

Last edited by Thrillhouse; 08-23-2005 at 06:43 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Super All-Star

Hossa Traded For Heatley

the Ottawa Senators are trading Marian Hossa and an unamed defensemen to the Atlanta Thrashers for star forward Dany Heatley. Ottawa has called a 5 p.m. news conference.

Heres the link from tsn: www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=134320
Old 08-23-2005, 03:46 PM
All-Star

Biggest trade in a long time. Great move for the Senators, they were near the cap when they signed Hossa. They would've had to trade Redden (I assume Heatley makes less than Hossa). Strange move for the Thrashers but Hossa will light it up for them this year.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Veteran

wow...didnt see this coming....pretty good move for both teams...this kinda thing will be happening more and more due to the cap.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Holy crap! This really came outta the blue. I read the rumor on Eklund's page today, but thought it was crap. This is definately the biggest trade in a long time. Good luck to Heatley in Ottawa. I'll bet the unnamed D-man is Chris Phillips.

PS: I wonder what happens with Kovalchuk now???
Old 08-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Pro

damn it...wth muckler?! the defencemen better be De Vries and not one of their core 3 (Chara, Redden, Phillips)
Old 08-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Super All-Star

are you ****ing kidding me. this is huge, i cant believe it and i wont until it happens. like wtf
Old 08-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Good, I hope they make Heatly the team bus driver too. Get rid of that franchise.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Hall of Famer

Maybe they wanted Heatley out of Atlanta? good move for Ottawa
Old 08-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Super All-Star

Biggest trade since "The Great One" was traded to The Kings.

Hossa is going to light it up in ***Atlanta***, and this is a great cap move for The Sens. IMO, Heatley needed this, He needed to start over somewhere else.

Last edited by 8BostonRocker24; 08-23-2005 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:04 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24
Biggest trade since "The Great One" was traded to The Kings.

Hossa is going to light it up in Nashvillie, and this is a great cap move for The Sens. IMO, Heatley needed this, He needed to start over somewhere else.

New conference changed to 530 et...Atlanta not Nashville..
Old 08-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Super All-Star

Holy Sh!t I don't think anyone saw this deal coming! Heatley might make Ottawa-Toronto a little more interesting. I think Ottawa came out on top in this deal, depending on who the defencemen they may have traded in the deal is.

-George Carlin

Rock'em
Old 08-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Clever admin title

RDS is reporting the defenseman is Greg de Vries.

Bad news for Leaf fans IMO. My brain hurts.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom
Good, I hope they make Heatly the team bus driver too. Get rid of that franchise.
LMAO that was downright rude. Very funny but rude.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:11 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
RDS is reporting the defenseman is Greg de Vries.

Bad news for Leaf fans IMO. My brain hurts.
Bad news indeed. Maybe the Leafs will try and make a deal to cushion this a little, or maybe that's wishful thinking.

-George Carlin

Rock'em
Closed Thread