Old 11-27-2007, 02:59 PM
All-Star

Scott Hartnell Suspended Two Games

TORONTO - Philadelphia Flyers forward Scott Hartnell has been suspended for two games, without pay, as a result of being assessed a game misconduct during NHL game #342 against the Boston Bruins on Nov. 26, the National Hockey League announced today.

"It appears that Mr. Hartnell was attempting to let up on delivering a check to an opponent that was in a vulnerable position," said NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. "However, at the point of contact, he did deliver a blow to the head of Mr. Alberts that resulted in an injury."

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Hartnell will forfeit $44,919.78. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Hartnell was assessed a major penalty for boarding and a game misconduct for a hit on Boston defenseman Andrew Alberts at 14:22 of the second period.

Hartnell will miss Wednesday's game at Carolina and Dec. 1 against Dallas. He will be eligible to return Dec. 5 at Minnesota.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Two games, why bother suspending him at all?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr4 View Post
Yeah silly.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Hall of Famer

yawn
Old 11-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Clever admin title

Quote:
See, I don't get this. Why does every suspension have to be half the season? Sure, the NHL wants to crack down on the really bad incidents so they'll always be double-digits, but this surely doesn't fit in that category. Look at suspensions from a few years ago, a lot of 1 and 2 gamers.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I think the 0 broke off the NHL disciplinarians suspension stamp, so now its just a 2? Lucky Flyers!
Old 11-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Hall of Famer

I can live with that. If Alberts gets up and rejoins the play its two minutes.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Hartnell should be murdered to death!

Rabble rabble!

Brashear beat your favorite fighter. Undisputed top 5 all time.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Hall of Famer

I'd rather see two black eyes than two games. But hey, Chara gets his wish, I'm sure all of you Bruins fans are happy that Chara decided to let the league handle it ...

Bruins better step up to the plate next game...

- RIP George Carlin
Old 11-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugden Flu View Post
I think the 0 broke off the NHL disciplinarians suspension stamp, so now its just a 2? Lucky Flyers!
How are Flyer's lucky, two games is more than reasonable.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStreetBullies View Post
I'd rather see two black eyes than two games. But hey, Chara gets his wish, I'm sure all of you Bruins fans are happy that Chara decided to let the league handle it ...

Bruins better step up to the plate next game...
Next game we'll have our big guns back. It'll be a bloodbath! They better have a fleet of ambulances outside the arena waiting with the engines running to take away the mortally wounded Flyers, one by one.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Hall of Famer

2 games is about what I expected, but Hartnell and other players need to start being smarter when they finish their checks, or more players are going to be seriously hurt.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugden Flu View Post
Next game we'll have our big guns back. It'll be a bloodbath! They better have a fleet of ambulances outside the arena waiting with the engines running to take away the mortally wounded Flyers, one by one.
The war should be pretty well-matched. But if chara has anything to say about it, he'll bring Bettman to cover his back. But aside from that, take any guy from the Bruins, and you can pin him a pretty-evenly matched fight against a Flyer.

Lets just hope that the B's put their maxi-pads away next game and stop relying on the league to help them out, and take manners into their own hands...

- RIP George Carlin
Old 11-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Clever admin title

I still dont see how this is any better than what Downie did to McAmmond. A borderline charge compared to a boarding?

In any event, good to see its not 100 games and its only a couple. Now all the Flyers have to do is keep on doing it until Chara wishes the league steps in again, or until a team puts a stop to it...
MN Wild Team Forum
RIP Bob "Probie" Probert - 7/5/2010
RIP Derek "Boogie Man" Boogaard - 5/13/2011
Old 11-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Super All-Star

About what I expected to see. I think the league fealt with due to the history of both the Flyers and the Flyers/Bruins this had to be. Put this in a different game with different teams and there is no suspension.

I think the league needs to mandate "SAFER" walls for all arenas. Since the players no longer worry about protecting themselves along the boards the league needs to. Since the league has started penalizing and suspending players for hits close to the boards the players no longer worry about protecting themselves. Half of them (or more) use it to draw a penalty and the other half rely on the approaching players "better judgement" to not make the hit. This way the player with the puck keeps control or makes the pass and doesn't have to worry about the approaching player. I liked the game much more when the player went to play the puck along the boards and had to keep their head up for the other player coming to hit them. When you saw somebody coming you braced yourself for the hit, then played the puck. Not just kept going about you business like they weren't going to hit you like they do now.

BTW Bruins great job of standing up for your team mates. Obviously you were going to get the 2 points anyway so why not give the Flyers a little payback....

PLEASE get rid of the instigator rule
Closed Thread