Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors

Old 04-17-2013, 04:23 PM
News Junkie

Ryan White Suspended Five Games for Illegal Check to the Head

NEW YORK -- Montreal Canadiens forward Ryan Whitehas been suspended for five games, without pay, for an illegal check to the head of Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Kent Huskins during NHL Game No. 626 in Montreal on Monday, April 15, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, White will forfeit $18,581.10. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

The incident occurred at 6:11 of the first period. White was assessed a match penalty for illegal check to the head.

Last edited by chilly666; 04-17-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Content Team

Unfortunately for White, I think he's seen his last game in a Habs uni. I feel like this was his last chance to prove to the organization he can be productive. It hasn't been entirely his fault, but he blew it with this hit on Huskins. If you're going to line someone up in open ice in this new era of the NHL, you need to be damn sure you're going to hit him cleanly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phila26Flyers For This Useful Post:
shaud19 (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Rookie

...it was a poorly thrown check is all,...worthy of a penalty for sure, but certainly, NOT a MATCH penalty ( and maybe, not even a MAJOR ). Shanahan MUST make better judgements whenever he says an offending player "targeted" the head -- ANY hit or physical contact to the upper body ( legal - illegal - blatant - inadvertant or accidental ) usually INVOLVES the head,....he's got to stop calling EVERYTHING a "head-shot."
Old 04-17-2013, 04:53 PM
News Junkie

that was a head shot. he made no movement to hit huskins in the shoulder or chest, nor did huskins move in any way that cause white to hit him in the head with his shoulder. this was as clear cut as you're gonna get with one of these suspensions.
FightingIsGood (04-17-2013), I_am_Belak_2 (04-17-2013), Phila26Flyers (04-17-2013), shaud19 (04-17-2013), theknuckler (04-17-2013), Viper207 (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Hall of Famer

5 games is fair. Huskins suffering a concussion changes my original thought on the hit. Good response by Philadelphia. 5 game suspension with 6 games remaining, chances are he'll be in the press box the last game? Tough way to end a tenure for a team
Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Hall of Famer

I mostly disagree with Shanny's suspensions, but I think this one was appropriate.

We won't give pause until the blood is flowing.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Hall of Famer

White will be back, **** happens. He will be a huge asset in the playoffs. I'm biased though, I know him. lol
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Can Henry View Post
...it was a poorly thrown check is all,...worthy of a penalty for sure, but certainly, NOT a MATCH penalty ( and maybe, not even a MAJOR ). Shanahan MUST make better judgements whenever he says an offending player "targeted" the head -- ANY hit or physical contact to the upper body ( legal - illegal - blatant - inadvertant or accidental ) usually INVOLVES the head,....he's got to stop calling EVERYTHING a "head-shot."
You have a very unusual way of communicating your thoughts on a keyboard.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Chara gets none for the Patches intent to injure hit though. Good stuff.

White just had bad luck there...no intent to hurt the guy, just caught him the wrong way. Hoping he'll be back. Therrien should know he's had some miscues but it's not like he cant turn that around.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Smasher View Post
White will be back, **** happens. He will be a huge asset in the playoffs. I'm biased though, I know him. lol
are you the fluffer before the games?

5 games sounds about right
Old 04-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phila26Flyers View Post
Unfortunately for White, I think he's seen his last game in a Habs uni. I feel like this was his last chance to prove to the organization he can be productive. It hasn't been entirely his fault, but he blew it with this hit on Huskins. If you're going to line someone up in open ice in this new era of the NHL, you need to be damn sure you're going to hit him cleanly.
Every hit is being scrutinized and you better take proper measures not to make any head contact (Stevens is in the hall of fame for it)
Old 04-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Hall of Famer

I don't understand why White didn't go for the body check. He could have easily hit him shoulder to shoulder.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr4 View Post
I don't understand why White didn't go for the body check. He could have easily hit him shoulder to shoulder.
Because when you target the head you miss the shoulder like he did, he should have gotten another 5 games for being plain stupid.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Can't argue much with this one. He's lucky 5 games is all he got.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Could care less about the suspension, I'd rather he get pounded.

If anything, I think this solidifies his reputation as a punk, between jumping players and turning down fights against legit fighters.

Last edited by Boston Garden; 04-17-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Tags
montreal canadiens, nhl, ryan white, suspension