Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors

Old 06-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Hall of Famer

Penguins Sign Head Coach Dan Bylsma to Two-Year Contract Extension

The Pittsburgh Penguins have given head coach Dan Bylsma a two-year contract extension through the 2015-16 season, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero. Bylsma had one year remaining on his current deal.

The Penguins also extended the contracts of assistant coaches Tony Granato and Todd Reirden.

“I believe in Dan Bylsma and I believe in stability with our coaching staff,” Shero said. “Dan is one of the top coaches in the NHL. His record speaks for itself. We fell short of our goal this year, and we’re all disappointed in that, but I believe – and our ownership believes – that Dan is the man to lead us into the future.”

Bylsma, 42, became the fastest coach in NHL history to win 200 games when the Penguins defeated Ottawa, 3-1, on April 22. It was just his 316th career game. He has the best winning percentage of any coach in Penguins history (.699) with an all-time record of 201-93-25 in five seasons.

He has led the Penguins to three 100-point seasons and five straight playoff berths. His 2012-13 team went 36-12 while winning the Atlantic Division and posting the best record in the Eastern Conference.

Bylsma also is the winningest coach in Penguins playoff history with 36 post-season victories and seven playoff series victories, including the 2009 Stanley Cup.

He received the Jack Adams Award as the NHL’s most outstanding coach in 2011.

The native of Grand Haven, Mich. was named head coach of the Penguins on February 15, 2009, taking over for Michel Therrien. He previously was head coach of the Penguins’ AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, and was an assistant coach with the New York Islanders and the AHL Cincinnati Mighty Ducks.

Bylsma played nine NHL seasons as a forward with Los Angeles and Anaheim. He played college hockey at Bowling Green.

Last edited by chilly666; 06-12-2013 at 12:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FightingIsGood For This Useful Post:
thepolishkid88 (06-12-2013)
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran

Wow. Ray Shero is a ****ing idiot. Pittsburgh is never going to win a stanley cup with this useless kunt coaching the franchise. The run and gun system does not work anymore.

It is a guarantee that Mark Eaton and Craig Adams will be re-signed.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Amazed how this press conference went. Shero not only keeps the entire coaching staff but gives them 2 year deals which is hilarious. Then goes to proceed letting the guy who ruined MAF become a scout with the team. Good lord.

I was really shocked to hear that they have no intention of moving MAF especially after they basically made him ride the pine. It's going from an off season of change to more of the same. Letang I guess will be staying now too.

Then again could mean nothing as Therrien got a 3 year extension so who knows. I just know right now it sends the wrong message when your coach has won 3 playoff series since winning the cup in 09. THREE. With 2 of the best players in the world.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Hall of Famer

I really thought that Bylsma should have been the one to take the fall for the debacle that was the ECF..But you can look at it two ways.This is basically saying that Shero and management are putting more of the onus on the players for what happened.Which isn't wrong..Bylsma wasn't the one out on the ice.I think that what needs to happen now is a little shakeup of the roster..But i don't see that happening.So it will be more of the same old.Success in the regular season,and ultimate disappointment in the post season.And Craig Adams for another 3 years...
Old 06-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadubbin View Post
I really thought that Bylsma should have been the one to take the fall for the debacle that was the ECF..But you can look at it two ways.This is basically saying that Shero and management are putting more of the onus on the players for what happened.Which isn't wrong..Bylsma wasn't the one out on the ice.I think that what needs to happen now is a little shakeup of the roster..But i don't see that happening.So it will be more of the same old.Success in the regular season,and ultimate disappointment in the post season.And Craig Adams for another 3 years...
Dan staying I could see. Granato and Reirden staying is a joke and even giving Meloche a scouting position is wrong on a lot of levels but even more so by rewarding them with extensions. We are now the Philadelphia Eagles of the NHL.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Hall of Famer

The rumor was that Sather liked him so with his re-signing with the Penguins, I wonder if the former Vancouver coach with be coming to NY?

They can fill the net on this guy tonight!
Phil Esposito
Old 06-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Veteran

Old 06-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Just reading this.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjack View Post
The rumor was that Sather liked him so with his re-signing with the Penguins, I wonder if the former Vancouver coach with be coming to NY?
I really hope the Rangers take Messier just so I can get a good laugh. They would be wise to break the mold and go way outside the box. Hire a guy like Ron Francis. AV is only a short term fix at best, Messier will end up being a failure.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Hall of Famer

You can blame the players, but with this kind of team and considering the fail last season either it's kind of hard to believe you are still thinking the coach isn't to blame. He wasn't able to get the team playing at his best in the playoffs for 2 years in a row, I don't know who is to blame if not the coach. He failed in getting the team into the right direction last season against the Flyers and he failed again against the Bruins. And IMO the Pens where the better team it was just a question of coaching that they lost.
This forum is full of people that suffer from post-pubertal showing-off affectations...
Old 06-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Super All-Star

Shero has lost it. What a dumb move.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Hall of Famer

How did Not-Gretzky sign off on this?!

PM me for a game!
The Following User Says Thank You to antonio106 For This Useful Post:
nyislesfan45 (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccarelli View Post
You can blame the players, but with this kind of team and considering the fail last season either it's kind of hard to believe you are still thinking the coach isn't to blame. He wasn't able to get the team playing at his best in the playoffs for 2 years in a row, I don't know who is to blame if not the coach. He failed in getting the team into the right direction last season against the Flyers and he failed again against the Bruins. And IMO the Pens where the better team it was just a question of coaching that they lost.
4 years. 2010 epic melt down to Montreal on home ice, 2011 & 2012 bounced in Round 1, and this year failing to even show up for the ECF.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Can't wait for more playoff disappointments. Pretty much can take the Pens off the contender list for the next two years. Baffling move...
Old 06-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Bylsma didn't make the needed adjustments to win the series against Boston. Can't blame goaltending, Vokoun was excellant, with the exception to game 3. Just goes to show, a team of hard hat wearing, lunch pail carrying grunts can beat a team loaded with superstars.

Tags
contract extension, dan bylsma, head coach, pittsburgh penguins