hockeyfights.com forums

hockeyfights.com forums (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/)
-   Player Movement & Rumors (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Penguins Sign 2004 First Round Pick Evgeni Malkin (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f15/penguins-sign-2004-first-round-pick-evgeni-malkin-59314/)

Thrillhouse 09-05-2006 10:35 AM

Penguins Sign 2004 First Round Pick Evgeni Malkin

PITTSBURGH – The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed Evgeni Malkin, the second overall selection in the 2004 Entry Draft, it was announced today by General Manager Ray Shero.

Malkin, 20, finished third in the Russian Super League in scoring during the 2005-06 season, recording 47 points (21+26) in 46 games with Metallurg Magnitogorsk. Malkin led the league in plus/minus (+28), ranked second in goals and ranked third in assists. He added 15 points (5+10) and 42 penalty minutes in 11 Russian Super League playoff games.

Malkin starred in international competition as well during the 2005-06 season. He was the second leading scorer at the World Junior Championships, recording 10 points (4+6) in six games and was named the tournament’s top forward and most valuable player, captaining Russia to a second place finish.

At age 19, Malkin was the youngest player on Russia’s entry in the 2006 Winter Olympics, tying for second on the team with Alex Kovalev in scoring by recording six points (2+4) in seven games.

Malkin registered nine points (3+6) in seven games for Russia at the 2006 World Championships. He tied for the team lead in scoring, and tied for fifth in the tournament, and was named one of Russia’s top three players at the tournament.

As an 18-year old in 2004-05, Malkin ranked third on Metallurg Magnitogorsk in scoring with 32 points (12+20) in 52 games and was a teammate of current Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar.

Malkin won a silver medal with Russia at the World Junior Championships in 2004-05, tying for fourth in the tournament in scoring and ranking second on the team with 10 points (3+7) in six games. Malkin represented Russia in World Championships in 2005, his first appearance in that tournament and recorded four assists in nine games.

Malkin played in the Russian Super League as a 17-year old, recording 12 points (3+9) in 33 games. He also represented Russia at the World Junior Championships in 2003-04, recording five points (1+4) in six games. Malkin recorded eight points (4+4) in six games at the Under-18 World Junior Championships.

The 6-3 and 192-pound center is a native of Magnitogorsk, Russia. He was drafted by the Penguins with the second overall selection of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

Isles4life 09-05-2006 10:39 AM

Like the things he's said and done or not, I think he's gonna be a heck of a hockey player and I can't wait to see him in the NHL.

canuck2 09-05-2006 10:41 AM

He's just a kid and was led astray a bit.

This guy is an unbelievable hockey talent. Its great for the NHL. Him and Crosby togeather. That is some combination of talent.

TNG 09-05-2006 11:12 AM

aleluia.
Like probably everyone else, can't wait to see how the Penguins will be next year with him and Crosby on the lineup.

FightingIsGood 09-05-2006 12:31 PM

This Pens fan can't stop smiling :approve: I have been looking forward to seeing him in a Pens uniform for 2 years now - this kid has talent out the wazoo. But...I don't think it's over quite yet, because there's still a very good chance that Metallurg Magnitogorsk will try to sue to bar him from playing here this season. We'll see!

Strife 09-05-2006 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FightingIsGood (Post 780596)
This Pens fan can't stop smiling :approve: I have been looking forward to seeing him in a Pens uniform for 2 years now - this kid has talent out the wazoo. But...I don't think it's over quite yet, because there's still a very good chance that Metallurg Magnitogorsk will try to sue to bar him from playing here this season. We'll see!

I'm with you on the whole smiling thing.. but I don't see Malkin not playing for the Pens now.. the contract is signed and there's little to nothing the Russian club can do to stop him from playing short of abducting his family or doing something crazy like that. The only thing that will make this saga more over in my eyes is the day Malkin takes his first NHL shift..

JKidd 09-05-2006 03:35 PM

So the soap opera comes to an end. :sarcastic:

I cant wait to see him on the ice... or crushed into the boards. :evil:

dp 09-05-2006 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FightingIsGood (Post 780596)

if it goes that way, a little cash from the pens will solve the problem.

Svyatoslav 09-05-2006 05:11 PM

Calder cup - 07, welcome to Pittsburgh :)

dipandmitts 09-05-2006 05:39 PM

one more great reason for cairns to be dressed for every game

johano90 09-05-2006 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dipandmitts (Post 780797)
one more great reason for cairns to be dressed for every game

That's one way to see it I guess.

Being a European, I love the part of the game that is the new NHL. Not that I dont like the rough stuff, just players like Malkin appeal more to me than ones like Cairns. This should be great for the sport of hockey. To bad U.S. media can't advertise him and promote his image, Americans only care when one of their own succeed. Anyways, I am really looking forward to this guy play and the Calder should finally be coming to Pittsburgh.

Faz 09-05-2006 07:37 PM

Fantastic! This kid is definitely a huge piece in Pittsburgh's future.

I think expectations for his first season have to be kept in check... anything over 50 or 60 points would be absolutely outstanding, especially given the cultural shift for him.

But man... in a year or two, with Crosby and Malkin a few years into the NHL... look out for the Pens.

bengino 09-05-2006 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faz (Post 780862)
Fantastic! This kid is definitely a huge piece in Pittsburgh's future.

I think expectations for his first season have to be kept in check... anything over 50 or 60 points would be absolutely outstanding, especially given the cultural shift for him.

But man... in a year or two, with Crosby and Malkin a few years into the NHL... look out for the Pens.

after seeing the way Ovechkin lit it up this season, i can safely assume that Malkin could do as good if not better then Ovechkin... the main problem for Pittsburgh remains their defense corps... No doubt they can score, but keeping the puck out of their net could be a challenge.

Faz 09-05-2006 09:01 PM

Sure, the defence is less than fabulous, but it's mostly young and improving. Perhaps next year's first rounder will be a blue-liner. Or a mid-20s good 'un traded in? Most growth in this area will definitely come from within though, with Whitney, Welch, etc. Need another good stay-at-homer and/or a hitter.

A genuinely good (and infuriating) checking line will make a big difference to the goals-against, too. We'll actually have guys who can play against opposition's top lines and not get molested. :o

No team will like to play against:
Ruutu-Moore-Petrovicky-Orpik-Eaton

That's a line that can ruffle feathers and put guys off their game.

Then of course there's the whole Crosby-Malkin talent-fest situation on the top two lines, which are worth being pumped about. I don't dare to dream Malkin > Ovechkin, but I think Malkin can be a MASSIVE success if he scores even 60% of what AO did... anything over than that and it's Christmas at the Pens!

knucklesamwitch 09-05-2006 09:40 PM

This kids been through a lot for a 20 yr old, hopefully the pens despite being in process of selling, do everything they can to make this season easier on him. And i hope pens fan arent going to put the pressure of being ovechkin on him, let him adjust to his new life and just enjoy watching 2 great talents grow.(hopefully here)